Oppo Camp Non Eagles Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some talk that Fremantle will offer their first round picks this year and next year to get McCarthy.

Pretty ballsy move but I guess it takes guts to make it in the AFL. Throw in Bennell and you have a team that isn't afraid to take some risks.

Some talk that Fremantle will offer their first round picks this year and next year to get McCarthy.

Pretty ballsy move but I guess it takes guts to make it in the AFL. Throw in Bennell and you have a team that isn't afraid to take some risks.

Have to be two first round picks otherwise GWS just hold him to his contract.

Add to that Freo are desperate. The whole Bennell situation shows how desperate.

Can see them finishing first again next year. :/

You reckon? Bennell for a second rounder is awesome. I don't reckon it will hurt them much if he goes off the rails.

Yeah sadly teams are probably resigned to the thinking any 2nd round pick on a given year may only be 50/50. Particularly if you finish high and not bottom feeding the ladder. In a shallow draft theyve even less to lose.

Id still be surprised if they dont have to cough up a first, though.

You reckon? Bennell for a second rounder is awesome. I don't reckon it will hurt them much if he goes off the rails.

Ehh so why isn't any other club thinking about it if it's such a great deal?

A potential top 10 player for a second round pick and only 1 club is interested?

Even the typical desperates (North, Tigers) won't touch him.

Something has got clubs very wary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see if Bennell just had behaviour problems at Gold Coast or if he has gone down the well trodden weary old substance abuse addiction road.
Time will tell I suppose .

I can't see it being a good thing for him, being around more friends and family. Immediate family maybe, but friends from his old life, that aren't involved in professional sport, can only lead him astray I reckon.

Look at Garlett, he came home and things got out of control for him, if Harley hasn't truely changed his ways, and judging by his most recent behaviour, he hasn't, then being around people that could easily convince him to go out and get on it, can only end in tears for him and Freo.

Have to be two first round picks otherwise GWS just hold him to his contract.

Add to that Freo are desperate. The whole Bennell situation shows how desperate.
Being desperate is a good thing. I hope we are desperate too. Being reckless on the other hand is not so good.

A potential top 10 player for a second round pick and only 1 club is interested?

I think it is difficult to quantify what has got clubs scared off Bennell. When you look at what we know he's actually done, well it's really not so bad. So either there is more we don't know about or the clubs are just going along with the herd - i.e. the longer it goes without anyone expressing much interest the less interested people are because they think something's up. It might be right or it might not be... in between those things it could just be an example of cognitive bias. Ultimately though you can't look at what 17 clubs are doing versus what 1 club is doing and say 'the 1 must be wrong'.

True. But he has also nominated WA. The Tigers were obviously interested. So I think it's more a case of why aren't West Coast interested, and we have a history of conservatism.

I dunno you're probably right but I'm skeptical as to how much downside there would be to recruiting Bennell. Hawthorn didn't really have a problem as a result of Garlett and that could not have gone worse. Personally I would describe fremantles interest as ballsy rather than desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back