Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of Melb just have not turned up this week guessing they got complacent and thought they would do it easily
Melbourne just love to s**t the bed on the MCG against Brisbane. Someone must have told the Dees tonight was a "mini-final".

Tweeted at 3pm this afternoon

I still haven't been sold on Melbourne either, although a strong win tonight would've had them in a good position.

Their win against Port on the road was good but could've gone either way.

Ultimately they've played 4 finals contenders, where they've had an easy win, a close win and two fairly comfortable losses.

Finals bound, probably. A legitimate contender? I'm not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are in the conversation until proven otherwise.

Port, Sydney, Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood have all had at least one poor performance. Half of them have had a few poor performances.
Collingwood have won 2 games, one of which was a close call against Hawthorn... They have yet to prove they're not experiencing a Geelong 2023-esque hangover.

Collingwood have won 2 games, one of which was a close call against Hawthorn... They have yet to prove they're not experiencing a Geelong 2023-esque hangover.
Agreed. And while Brisbane were (finally) great tonight against a decent side, all it would take is a loss to Geelong next week to be back in crisis mode.

GWS away the week after would put them at 2-5 and it's difficult to make the top 4 from there.

Brisbane would need to go 4-0 or 3-1 over their next month for me to be convinced they're back.

And if hawks had taken their chances, they would have won against the pies.

I think it's crazy the pressure is off completely for them when they nearly lost to Hawks in perfect conditions

Agreed. And while Brisbane were (finally) great tonight against a decent side, all it would take is a loss to Geelong next week to be back in crisis mode.

GWS away the week after would put them at 2-5 and it's difficult to make the top 4 from there.

Brisbane would need to go 4-0 or 3-1 over their next month for me to be convinced they're back.

Not just top 4, but getting difficult to make top 8

Last year Sydney scraped into 8 with a 12-10-1 record, while St Kilda & GWS who were 6th & 7th each had a 13-10 record

If Brisbane find themselves at 2-5, that starts to put real pressure to even make finals as there's not much room for error across the rest of the season

And the same pressure will start to fall on Collingwood if they have another loss or two in the coming weeks, cause it's not like they have the easiest of draws coming up

1712873825522.png

I think it's crazy the pressure is off completely for them when they nearly lost to Hawks in perfect conditions
I think it's even crazier how off-the-charts people are about Carlton when they've:

Beaten Brisbane - turned up for half a game and Brisbane had a shocking first month
Just fell over the line against Richmond.
Beat up on cellar-dwellars North Melbourne.
Got extremely lucky against Freo.

They'll almost certainly beat up on Adelaide and get the "OMFG 5-0, TOP FOUR CERTS!!" hype train going even more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back