Gotta wonder how something like this would play out:

B: Wright Petrie Macmillan
HB: Atley Hansen Thompson
C: Harvey Swallow Dal Santo
HF: Black Brown Higgins
F: Turner Waite Thomas
R: Goldstein Cunnington Wells

Int: MacDonald, Gibson, Ziebell Sub: Jacobs
Send our best forward and currently almost the only forward option to defence?

That would be like Freo sending Pavlich to FB....

Don't agree with that. I'm not saying it's our best set up but may be a configuration that would allow us to get the most possible talent on the field and free up Scott Thompson to play his rebounding game.
you dont have to agree, however none of the players you put forward could hold the forward line together, they would get the number 1 defender and get shown up...

freeing up ST is required, however not at the expense of Petrie.... Tippet should be the main man here....

Turner is an interesting one for mine. While I see what he brings, and it was sorely lacking last season, he still doesn't get a great deal of the pill. Will he stay in the 22 for most of next season? Dunno. I think his pressure alone almost warrants it but I think we would want to expect a more rounded game from him next year. Then there is the thought that he will continue to be managed due to school and physical development issues.

Neither did Rioli in the Grand Final. Somethimes getting the ball is not as important as forcing others to do something wrong when they have it.

If the pedants here complain that Gibson is not best 22 despite racking up seriously impressive numbers. Then surely an argument can be made that Turner is important to the team even though he does not rack up huge numbers.

Neither did Rioli in the Grand Final. Somethimes getting the ball is not as important as forcing others to do something wrong when they have it.

If the pedants here complain that Gibson is not best 22 despite racking up seriously impressive numbers. Then surely an argument can be made that Turner is important to the team even though he does not rack up huge numbers.

Stats aren't everything, are they? What Turner and Brown seem to bring to our forward line is movement. They follow the John Kennedy approach: ''don't think, DO!!!'' They lead, they chase, they shepherd, they tackle, they compete.

I am well aware of the concept of defensive pressure. I am also well aware of the necessity of having a sufficient number of players capable rotating through the midfield. We have three tall forwards who don't and LT who doesn't either so whoever plays Turner's role, be it Turner or not, needs to be able to swing into the middle and find the pill when necessary. Maybe Turner will be ready for that next season, but I'm working from the perspective that he will take time, and that we should give him the time, to develop. I wouldn't be averse to giving him the first 12 weeks in the VFL and bring him in during the back end of the season ready to rock and roll. Considering that we should also have Garner available for 2015 perhaps they can share to role?

WRIGHT TIPPETT McMILLAN
McDONALD HANSEN THOMPSON
ATLEY DALSANTO WELLS
HIGGINS PETRIE ZIEBELL
THOMAS WAITE HARVEY
GOLDY SWALLOW CUNNINGTON

int: TURNER BROWN MULLET WOOD (SUB) IF THEY KEEP THE SUB RULE IN 2015

NO ROOM FOR ADAMS NAHAS BASTINAC BLACK DAW FIRRITO GIBSON JACOBS GARNER GRIMA ETC

HMMMMM ITS A LOTTERY ATM

All second stringers at best..

One of those second stringers your talking about has played 11 games and if it wasn't for him there'd be 50+ people on this forum with life bans after what would have happened in the Elimination Final had he not been there.

Oh and he's 21.

Oh did I mention he's played less than half a season.

Oh also incase you missed it, he kicked four in the Elimination Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thompson Tippett MacMillan
Atley Hansen Wright
Gibson Wells Dal Santo
Higgins Waite Harvey
Thomas Petrie Brown

Goldstein Swallow Cunnington

Ziebell Bastinac McDonald Mullett

Tippett is the human sacrifice at FB to compete one on one and freeing up Thompson to intercept mark more along with Hansen. We usually play 7 back there, so they can sort out the loose. Firrito and Grima as backups in the 2s but they aint the future.

We should intercept mark and rebound pretty well with that 22 and burn the opposition forward of centre with our inside 50 entries.

Higgins has got a hoof, so HFF is his spot. Can go the journey from outside 50. From 60-70 out he will spot up best option much like Harvey.

Brown over Black as he will chop out Goldstein. Also we would still have 2 forwards if Waite needs to swing back.

Ziebell can pretty much play mid or forward roles as demanded. Same with Bastinac. McDonald defence or wing.

Mullett as the sub to play wing and not defence. Decent kick, decent pace and can slot from outside 50, so roll the dice with him as the sub.

Something is telling me that me old mate, Basti, better pull the finger out in 2015. His last few games were like paying good money for a concert and not wanting the act to return for the encore.
Yep, the tide is coming in on him and he would be well served to start getting a wriggle on or he could find himself submerged very quickly.

Yep, the tide is coming in on him and he would be well served to start getting a wriggle on or he could find himself submerged very quickly.

I think Bas has been judged harshly by many on Bigfooty. Sure he did not have a great season (and one that seemed to get worse as it went along), but everyone has a poor season. Its how he responds that will be important.

Let's not forget that Greenwood's best season came when he was 25. Bas was 23 this year. In fact it interesting to compare Bas in 2013 vs Greenwood in 2014.

Bas 2013 Greenhead 2014

Ave Disposals 21.3 25.0

Ave Goals 0.9 0.7

Ave tackles 3.2 4.4

Ave Clearances 3.4 4.0

% Eff 71% 66%

Scott said during the year that Bastinac was carrying something. I think Bastinac will get first crack at replacing Levi in 2015.

I think Bas has been judged harshly by many on Bigfooty. Sure he did not have a great season (and one that seemed to get worse as it went along), but everyone has a poor season. Its how he responds that will be important.

Let's not forget that Greenwood's best season came when he was 25. Bas was 23 this year. In fact it interesting to compare Bas in 2013 vs Greenwood in 2014.

Bas 2013 Greenhead 2014

Ave Disposals 21.3 25.0

Ave Goals 0.9 0.7

Ave tackles 3.2 4.4

Ave Clearances 3.4 4.0

% Eff 71% 66%

Scott said during the year that Bastinac was carrying something. I think Bastinac will get first crack at replacing Levi in 2015.
I think he has the runs on the board to date to be given a crack at it. He would want to take it though. As it stands he is likely in the bottom few of the 22 so the pressure will be on.

I think he has the runs on the board to date to be given a crack at it. He would want to take it though. As it stands he is likely in the bottom few of the 22 so the pressure will be on.

He is missing from several ''best 22'' sides and rightly so given our talent and his form - even though he's a favourite of mine and someone I still have high hopes for.

He is missing from several ''best 22'' sides and rightly so given our talent and his form - even though he's a favourite of mine and someone I still have high hopes for.
He is certainly on the cusp Mr. R. 2014 was a strange year for him, given he was kind of a bit part mid, rotating through half forward and wing it seemed. He has talent to burn so I hope he can get back to what he does best next year.

He is certainly on the cusp Mr. R. 2014 was a strange year for him, given he was kind of a bit part mid, rotating through half forward and wing it seemed. He has talent to burn so I hope he can get back to what he does best next year.

It's all haircut related. Give him the full shearing, and a couple of scalp scars caused by Sugar, and Basti will be back I reckon.

One of those second stringers your talking about has played 11 games and if it wasn't for him there'd be 50+ people on this forum with life bans after what would have happened in the Elimination Final had he not been there.

Oh and he's 21.

Oh did I mention he's played less than half a season.

Oh also incase you missed it, he kicked four in the Elimination Final.
Yeah whats your point? still currently a second stringer... also try replying without sounding like an immature teenager...

Me too.
He's a very good footballer when injury free and I'm VERY confident he will come good this year.

I don't care if Turner doesn't get a ton of the pill! As long as he is applying his tackles and putting on tons of forward pressure, he keeps his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back