Opinion North Melbourne's best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbo hurts us in games too. He is a massive momentum killer and poor decisions hurt more than not touching the ball at all.
This, I don't want Gibson getting the ball, can't trust his skills which make me cringe whenever he has the footy

Also Gibson lacks versatility that other players have which will cost him a spot in the team

This, I don't want Gibson getting the ball, can't trust his skills which make me cringe whenever he has the footy

Also Gibson lacks versatility that other players have which will cost him a spot in the team
Versatility or lack thereof is not what will cost him his place. Someone else providing the link up and get out that he does all day long is what will cost him his place. As long as those attributes are a key plank to how we approach the game and no one is as good at it as Gibbo is, he plays.

Good to see a conversation about Luke happening. The whole messiah thing was getting old. He's a quality kid who had a great first year, offers us lots of potential going forwards AND his spot shouldn't be regarded as guaranteed.

To be fair, most of the messiah talk was taking the piss.

He does what nobody else in our team can. He runs when nobody else can. He links up when nobody else can. He gets the footy when everyone else is spent. His skills aren't the greatest of all time, but he runs opposing players into the ground and keeps going. While you think he may lack versatility, I say everyone else in the team lacks the ability to run like him. Should we drop the other 21 blokes because they can't do what Gibbo does? No. Conversely, we wouldn't drop Gibson because he doesn't have the same ability as everyone else in the side.

I don't know how this hasn't sunk in by now.

He does what nobody else in our team can. He runs when nobody else can. He links up when nobody else can. He gets the footy when everyone else is spent. His skills aren't the greatest of all time, but he runs opposing players into the ground and keeps going. While you think he may lack versatility, I say everyone else in the team lacks the ability to run like him. Should we drop the other 21 blokes because they can't do what Gibbo does? No. Conversely, we wouldn't drop Gibson because he doesn't have the same ability as everyone else in the side.

^^^^ great post

It's so utterly simplistic to say "Gibson's disposal is terrible, he's like Liam Anthony, drop him because he turns it over".

Loathe though I am to bring up Cyril Rioli, he would average between 10-15 possessions, maybe less. Does Hawthorn drop him because he doesn't get the footy enough? No. Have we dropped Turner since we brought him in because he doesn't get the footy enough? No. Both of those players keep their spots in their respective sides because they bring something else to the table, which is unique and which most of the other players in their sides can't. Nobody can tackle like Rioli, nobody goes harder than Turner. It is the exact same with Gibson, whether you like him or not. He brings a unique ability that aids the side immeasurably, and that's why he stays in the side despite not racking up 30+ disposal games with 90%+ efficiency every week.

Because the term role player isn't in their vocabulary.

Ok let's say Gibbo, LMac, JMac, Spud, Wright all play. That has to leave Basti out... So who is sub??? Is it Wood?? With Black missing out on the 22??

So what we're saying, is we have shitloads of depth and we're going to win the flag.

Gibson would be up there with first picked by Brad. He's playing. Relax.

IMO I'd be playing LMac and Turner, and blokes like Jacobs, JMac and Basti are competing for the vest.

Can't fit them all in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli compared with Gibson now.

I thought I'd heard it all but that takes the cake.....ha.
Its a comparison of 'roles', not players.

It's a comparison of what players bring to those roles that make them important, not the players ability.

It's a comparison of how those roles fit into a team structure, structures that the other 21 blokes know and can be sure that the player will provide that role no matter what, not what they do when the get the ball.

Why don't people get this? It bemuses me. Yes, I get Gibson has weaknesses, but why can't people understand that football is more complex than see ball, get ball, use ball well?

It's not a great comparison that's why.

Gibbo is a (very) hard working battler. He is fringe best 22 that is why Hawks didn't want him to start with. That is the standard we aim for.

Excuses are fine but for mine he is a handy player who could be overtaken. We have an excellent list and don't need liabilities in midfield who can't use the footy.

Its a comparison of 'roles', not players.

It's a comparison of what players bring to those roles that make them important, not the players ability.

It's a comparison of how those roles fit into a team structure, structures that the other 21 blokes know and can be sure that the player will provide that role no matter what, not what they do when the get the ball.

Why don't people get this? It bemuses me. Yes, I get Gibson has weaknesses, but why can't people understand that football is more complex than see ball, get ball, use ball well?

I could compose a reply. I'll just use this instead.

Gibbo us a hard working battler.

Hard working yes. Battler no. Liam Anthony was a battler. Kasey Green was a battler. Sam Gibson is not a battler.

He is fringe best 22

Disagree very strongly.

Make as many excuses as you want but for mine he is a handy player who is likely to be overtaken. We have an excellent list and don't need liabilities who can't use the footy.

I maintain my position from roughly a week ago, that states until the team unearths a player that runs as hard or harder for as long or longer than Gibson does, and uses it better than he does, he will maintain his place in the team.

In regards to Gibson's disposal efficiency, last year it was 75.6%. By comparison, Brent Harvey, who most would agree is elite with his disposal, was operating at 78.9%. Now I'm not trying to suggest that Gibson is an elite ball user, because he isn't, but maybe some people are overreacting?

It's nonsense that's why.

Gibbo us a hard working battler. He is fringe best 22 that is why Hawks didn't want him to start with.

Make as many excuses as you want but for mine he is a handy player who is likely to be overtaken. We have an excellent list and don't need liabilities who can't use the footy.
I can tell you plainly and clearly that it is not nonsense. I can tell you that anyone with half an idea about the game and who gets to watch the games at the ground can see the value he brings. And I can tell you that it is precisely these things that the coaches value and that his team mates can rely on, and that these things are planned for.

I'm pretty sure that Darren Crocker could rock up on your door step, sit down with a cup of tea and watch some vision with you, highlighting instances of Gibson doing the things that he is in the team for and expanding their import, but you still probably wouldn't get it because it doesn't sit well with your understanding of the game. That's fine. Not wanting to learn about these things is your own call.

Last edited:
In regards to Gibson's disposal efficiency, last year it was 75.6%. By comparison, Brent Harvey, who most would agree is elite with his disposal, was operating at 78.9%. Now I'm not trying to suggest that Gibson is an elite ball user, because he isn't, but maybe some people are overreacting?
As has been stated ad-nauseum around here, he knows that his disposal is not a strong suit but he works hard on it and plays within his limitations for the most part, as evidenced by those disposal stats. Still, it won't matter to some.

I can tell you plainly and clearly that it is not nonsense. I can tell you that anyone with half an idea about the game and who gets to watch the games at the ground can see the value he brings. And I can tell you that it is precisely these things that the coaches value and that his team mates can rely on, and that these things are planned for.

I'm pretty sure that Darren Crocker could rock up on your door step, sit down with a cup of tea and watch some vision with you, highlighting instances of Gibson doing the things that he is in the team for and expanding their import, but you still probably wouldn't get it because it doesn't sit well with your understanding of the game. That's fine. Not wanting to learn about the things is your own call.

I have said this that many times but I'll say it again.

You can not truly appreciate what Gibson does without being at the game and watching what is happening off the ball.

Quite right.

We have a deep squad and can't have outside players who can't use the footy other than 20m passes sideways or backwards.

It's hurt us last few years and addition of Higgins and Wells back means it's a hard midfield to break into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back