Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booooooo!

Seriously, Adam Goodes aside, what a stupid social idiosyncracy it is to yell "booooooo" from a crowd like an anonymous dickhead. Man the f*ck up and if you've got an issue speak up with your face showing.

Write him a f*cking letter if your so worked up about the fact you don't agree with his views on Indigenous Australians or what ever the f*ck else is your problem but don't boo from the stand like a little bitch.
Just make sure to put a return address on it!

Booooooo!

Seriously, Adam Goodes aside, what a stupid social idiosyncracy it is to yell "booooooo" from a crowd like an anonymous dickhead. Man the f*ck up and if you've got an issue speak up with your face showing.

Write him a f*cking letter if you're so worked up about the fact you don't agree with his views on Indigenous Australians or what ever the f*ck else is your problem but don't boo from the stand like a little bitch.

I just burst out laughing at the mental image of somebody frothing at the mouth whilst writing Adam Goodes a sternly worded letter.

Sigh. Go ahead then, ignore the overwhelming view of those involved in the AFL, from the players through to the club boards and CEOs, and up to the AFL exec. Boo Goodes and be proud of whatever pathetic thing you think you are proving by doing it.

If you think that is the "overwhelming view of those in the afl" you are plain crazy.

What's more of course, you failed to acknowledge that booing Goodes does not meet the legislative criteria you highlighted and you've failed to acknowledge that racism does not belong to the AFL.

But anyway You've had more than enough chances to articulate a cogent argument, times up

Is this more asinine or offensive I can't decide?

Goodes is incendiary, provocative and inflammatory, and he's never stepped back from that. Many others have adopted more constructive, public stances to effect change.

If you believe Goodes is being deliberately challenging to provoke debate, then fine. But he isn't much of a martyr, an agent provocateur if all this sanctimony comes down to also worrying about his feelings?

Which is it? Courageous revolutionary lightening rod, or just a guy with a big mouth who bites off more than he can chew and has hurt feelings? Mandela with hurt feelings?

he's just a tool, and wanting to conflate him and a cause just does not change this.

Bullshit. He's none of those things.

"incendiary, provocative and inflammatory"? No he's not. He's been honest about the easy, casual racism of most Australians, that are comfortable with quiet indigenous men who know their place, but not those who want to say something.

What's provocative? Did he hurt your feelings with his imaginary spears?

You come from a background of privilege and opportunity. I'm a 40 year old white guy, so I did too. That's fine - I'm not beating myself up over it. But I'm also not heaping scorn on anyone who points it out.

Booooooo!

Write him a f*cking letter if you're so worked up about the fact you don't agree with his views on Indigenous Australians or what ever the f*ck else is your problem but don't boo from the stand like a little bitch.

You've never booed an umpire or an opposition player? You've missed out on one of the great pleasures of sport, barracking. Oh and you're also obviously lying ;)

Everyone has booed an umpire or an opposition player, it's part of the fun.

Goodes is a douchebag. A little humility from him, instead of playing to a few nimrods in the peanut gallery could resolve an awful lot

Exactly. As the CEO has said, it's impossible to separate this issue from race.

Doesn't mean everyone doing it is racist.

Look, I think you're right.

But now that it's impossible to separate it from race, I think we need to step back from trying to argue that people have the right to attack Goodes. Maybe there are people doing it for reasons other than race but they are now all adding to the same barrage.

If you think that is the "overwhelming view of those in the afl" you are plain crazy.

What's more of course, you failed to acknowledge that booing Goodes does not meet the legislative criteria you highlighted and you've failed to acknowledge that racism does not belong to the AFL.

But anyway You've had more than enough chances to articulate a cogent argument, times up

It is clearly the overwhelming view of those in the AFL industry. Right or wrong, they're backing Goodes almost to a man.

And I think whether Goodes meets the legislative criteria - well, that's very much open for debate.

Last edited:
you do realise that it is not clear that this passes those tests you have quoted?

Or were you wearing such heavy confirmation bias spectacles you assume that it did

Hmmm - I don't think you can back up your view.

It clearly is in public, it is the victim's response that defines whether it is offensive, and Goodes has seemingly been reasonable in his response to 30,000 people screaming abuse.

I think it absolutely satisfies a LEGAL definition of racial vilification as per the act - whether it is in any ones best interest to take action, though? That seems dubious.

Sanders blocked choppychester?

That seems a bit weak, especially in the context of what's being discussed.

You know if Goodes quits because of booing he could bring a civil action upon the AFL... not saying he would but mental anguish caused in the workplace could be legitimately argued. Not saying he would... bit I reckon he could...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the indignities aboriginal people suffer in this country, we get our feathers flustered enough to align ourselves with the racists among us and boo Adam Goodes just because maybe he could have done a couple of things better when he was a) racially abused, and b) ceaselessly vilified for point a).

Meanwhile, the very cause Goodes does his best to champion is swept under the rug by government after government. An infinitely more important cause than a few people being a little intimidated by a traditional dance, I might add.

Get some ******* perspective and think about issues in their wider context.

I've said my piece on this topic before, but I must reiterate that I am left so deeply disappointed with the AFL, its supporters, and several posters on this board.

It clearly is in public, it is the victim's response that defines whether it is offensive, and Goodes has seemingly been reasonable in his response to 30,000 people screaming abuse.

I think it absolutely satisfies a LEGAL definition of racial vilification as per the act - whether it is in any ones best interest to take action, though? That seems dubious.
Oh I just made a similar point... AFL has known about the systematic booing and until this week has done nothing... interesting...

For all the indignities aboriginal people suffer in this country, we get our feathers flustered enough to align ourselves with the racists among us and boo Adam Goodes just because maybe he could have done a couple of things better when he was a) racially abused, and b) ceaselessly vilified for point a).

Meanwhile, the very cause Goodes does his best to champion is swept under the rug by government after government. An infinitely more important cause than a few people being a little intimidated by a traditional dance, I might add.

Get some ******* perspective and think about issues in their wider context.

I've said my piece on this topic before, but I must reiterate that I am left so deeply disappointed with the AFL, its supporters, and several posters on this board.
Unfortunately you are amongst a number of posters who have expressed their disappointment.

Also unfortunately I think you need to lower your expectations in order to avoid future disappointment.

Just heard the Rebecca Wilson / Dermott Brereton cordial discussion on SEN, hilarious.

I did take umbrage to Rebecca saying that when he comes to Adelaide, he gets booed. I checked:

Adam Goodes points at girl, May 24th 2013. Then, he wins Australian Of The Year, January 2014 - the point at which supposedly people started booing him, although I think it's actually a relatively new phenomenon.

Capture.PNG

Ah, damn, I didn't think we'd even hosted Sydney since then. So we'be hosted them once since Goodes won AOTY.

Capture.PNG

But wait! Port have hosted Sydney twice since Goodes was made AOTY.

I can only assume that Wilson was talking about Port booing him, because it obviously couldn't be us. We'd be saving our boos for Tippett anyway.

Woo-hoo, 7,000 posts!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but that's just a silly comment. Saying "well if player X of race Y is booed, but player A of race B isn't, then it's not because of racism" is just way off the mark.

Bachar Houli isn't using his position to stand up for his people. That's why he's not booed. Because he's not confronting the community at large on their prejudice in the way that Goodes has. If he was using his position to point out that Muslims can't even practice their belief without people making jokes at their expense about terrorism (as you have just done), and then pointed at a child making such a joke, he'd be getting booed off the park just like Goodes is.

And you might want to think twice in the future before likening an Aboriginal war dance to a Muslim simulating the lobbing of a grenade. That's not on, mate.

I was NOT making a joke! I was asking a serious question!

As far as this debate goes, my opinions take something of a middle ground. If I was perceived as making a joke, then I apologize as that was NOT my intention.

How great would it be if our club can buck the trend and not get caught up in the boo-ing of Goodes this weekend?

After all the support we have received from the AFL community it would be great for us to give Sydney some support in stamping this terrible trend out.

Would be great if the club reached out to supporters to remind us of this, perhaps as an aside in one of Fagans emails to supporters.

On the other hand, if anyone sees Tippett at the game...

Is it racist then if I boo Tippett???

Goodes is a tool but I won't be booing him on Saturday. I don't think I have ever booed a player, umpires of course :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know if Goodes quits because of booing he could bring a civil action upon the AFL... not saying he would but mental anguish caused in the workplace could be legitimately argued. Not saying he would... bit I reckon he could...

The AFL didn't vilify him. No matter how its spun the AFL did nothing wrong. They also go to great lengths to ban racists from the crowd. Plus its an opinion it was racist of nature and their actually no matter how many experts say its racist proves the crowd had racist intentions. Did they call him derogatory names associated with said race? One guy did and he got asked to leave the game. I think its a real stretch to suggest he can sue the game over this.

If he succeeds in any action the AFL will have no choice but to ban all banter from games full stop. So crowds can come to games but no talking. Golf claps as not to disturb the players. How much abuse do umpires get and Adam Goodes is worried about a few boos. The Umpires must be thinking Adams a little soft. Especially since I have heard and read death threats for umpires, derogatory memes on facebook etc. Seriously people. Get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back