Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Jon Lewis reminded me of the bald, aggro keeper...no doubt he has already been mentioned in this thread...but Paul Nixon was always entertaining, for one reason or another. :p

Funnily enough he also has a book out which I got at the same time as the Ronnie Irani one!

Very mouthy sort of cricketer and he was very unapologetic of it in his book. He and Irani may not have been overly successful at international level, but were massive cult figures for their respective counties.

Mark McPhee - attacking (I think) opening batsman from WA from early 90s who played when G Marsh was in the Australian side. Did he die in a car crash 10-15 years ago?

Chris Mack - tall quick from Midland - Guildford at a time when they provided a chunk of WA's side (Angel, Julian, Zoehrer, Moody, et al). Bought a block in the same street as my parents when we moved to a new subdivision about 20 years ago.

Mark McPhee - attacking (I think) opening batsman from WA from early 90s who played when G Marsh was in the Australian side. Did he die in a car crash 10-15 years ago?
Yeah, August 1999. He was before my time.

Whatever happened to Cullen Bailey? Was apparently a chance to play for Australia post Warne?
Got a CA contract and was poorly handled for a period in the same way that Muirhead has been in recent times. Went back to grade cricket as predominantly a batsman and last I heard was still enjoying the game.

Got a CA contract and was poorly handled for a period in the same way that Muirhead has been in recent times. Went back to grade cricket as predominantly a batsman and last I heard was still enjoying the game.

"Mishandled", AKA average of nearly 50 with the ball in FC cricket. He was very overrated, by virtue of bowling leg spin.

"Mishandled", AKA average of nearly 50 with the ball in FC cricket. He was very overrated, by virtue of bowling leg spin.
He was a kid ffs, if he doesn't meet the definition of mishandled I'll go he. A huge talent that got ****ed over by clowns, unfortunately he wasn't the only one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few years ago, a friend of mine in Sydney went on a charity walk with a few of his friends. He told one of the guys on his walk was a former NZ cricketer.

On this day, the 35th anniversary of the 'underarm incident', we should remember the batsman at the non-strikers end when Trevor Chappell delivered his historic delivery. I give you Bruce Edgar.

In 1981-82 when Pakistan toured Australia there was a player named Ijaz Faqih who had many people confused/nervous as to how pronounce his name. Played 5 Tests but had a solid first class career.

He was a kid ffs, if he doesn't meet the definition of mishandled I'll go he. A huge talent that got stuffed over by clowns, unfortunately he wasn't the only one.

I'm just not seeing how Bailey was "mishandled". What should have been done with him, apart from just giving him more games? How long do you persist with bowling figures like his? He had nine years in the Redbacks' squad (2004-05 to 2012-13), along with personal mentoring from Terry Jenner for most of that time. It's not like they didn't get much of a look at him.

Yeah he was young (played his last fixture for SA at age 28 in 2012-13), but he got a solid go, particularly in Shield cricket, and largely bowled trash. He had a couple of 5-fers along the way, but I think his career figures speak for themselves:

First Class - 31 matches, 6,247 balls/1,041.1 overs, 49.46 average, 79.0 strike rate, 3.75 economy rate (2 5-fers)
List A - 11 matches, 426 balls/71 overs, 33.50 average, 35.5 strike rate, 6.00 economy rate
T20 - 6 matches, 90 balls/15 overs, 47.33 average, 30.0 strike rate, 9.46 economy rate

Forget international aspirations, he had a long way to go before he could even be considered a consistent state-level bowler with those figures, and it's unlikely over time that he would have gotten there, unless something miraculous happened. His best year was 29 wickets @ 41.31 in the 2006-07 Shield season, which isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He still made a few Australia A squads between 2006-2008, on "potential" alone.

I think people get too caught up in the "romance" of leg spin, and trying to find the "next Warne". Just because you bowl it, doesn't mean that you do it well, or that you'll ever do it well, or that you deserve endless chances. Most leggies just send down hittable trash a lot of the time, which even young Warne didn't really do, certainly nowhere near the level leggies do these days. Yes, I understand times were different, but even the infamous 1/150 "belting" he received from Ravi Shastri once upon a time came at just 3.33 runs per over, across 47 overs. IMO, Bailey was given a decent go (certainly enough to know what he was about), wasn't really up to it on any sort of consistent level, and that's that.

Also, are you sure you're not confusing Cullen Bailey with Dan Cullen? The latter was at least somewhat hard done by, in terms of being a bit of a "pick and discard" type for Australia, and then losing his way totally after that. Got a lot less time and persistence from the Redbacks too (spent from 2004-05 to 2009-10 in the squad), but he at least had a couple of good individual seasons (in particular, 43 wickets @ 30.37 in the 2004-05 Shield season, at age 20/21) worthy of interest from the national selectors in the first place.

I'm just not seeing how Bailey was "mishandled". What should have been done with him, apart from just giving him more games? How long do you persist with bowling figures like his? He had nine years in the Redbacks' squad (2004-05 to 2012-13), along with personal mentoring from Terry Jenner for most of that time. It's not like they didn't get much of a look at him.

Yeah he was young (played his last fixture for SA at age 28 in 2012-13), but he got a solid go, particularly in Shield cricket, and largely bowled trash. He had a couple of 5-fers along the way, but I think his career figures speak for themselves:

First Class - 31 matches, 6,247 balls/1,041.1 overs, 49.46 average, 79.0 strike rate, 3.75 economy rate (2 5-fers)
List A - 11 matches, 426 balls/71 overs, 33.50 average, 35.5 strike rate, 6.00 economy rate
T20 - 6 matches, 90 balls/15 overs, 47.33 average, 30.0 strike rate, 9.46 economy rate

Forget international aspirations, he had a long way to go before he could even be considered a consistent state-level bowler with those figures, and it's unlikely over time that he would have gotten there, unless something miraculous happened. His best year was 29 wickets @ 41.31 in the 2006-07 Shield season, which isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He still made a few Australia A squads between 2006-2008, on "potential" alone.

I think people get too caught up in the "romance" of leg spin, and trying to find the "next Warne". Just because you bowl it, doesn't mean that you do it well, or that you'll ever do it well, or that you deserve endless chances. Most leggies just send down hittable trash a lot of the time, which even young Warne didn't really do, certainly nowhere near the level leggies do these days. Yes, I understand times were different, but even the infamous 1/150 "belting" he received from Ravi Shastri once upon a time came at just 3.33 runs per over, across 47 overs. IMO, Bailey was given a decent go (certainly enough to know what he was about), wasn't really up to it on any sort of consistent level, and that's that.

Also, are you sure you're not confusing Cullen Bailey with Dan Cullen? The latter was at least somewhat hard done by, in terms of being a bit of a "pick and discard" type for Australia, and then losing his way totally after that. Got a lot less time and persistence from the Redbacks too (spent from 2004-05 to 2009-10 in the squad), but he at least had a couple of good individual seasons (in particular, 43 wickets @ 30.37 in the 2004-05 Shield season, at age 20/21) worthy of interest from the national selectors in the first place.
With respect, I know the difference between Cullen Bailey & Dan Cullen, but thank you anyway.

Cullen Bailey was mishandled for the majority of the reasons you highlighted - pushed way too early and savaged to the point were he eventually walked away from it. Had he been handled correctly he might be still playing high grade cricket, but in the rush to find Shane Warne MkII he had a CA contract at age 20. I know first hand what beltings can do to young spinners, I saw a kid I thought could have played for Aus at about 14 yrs of age (down the track) end up on severe medication with lifetime mental health issues as a result of expectations & mailings. That's pretty extreme and an isolated case, but Culken Bailey was never Warne Mk II and instead of softly, softly they pushed the button & the wheels fell off. Having learned from their mistakes they then did the same thing with Muirhead.

Dan Cullen was an arrogant prick wasn't he? Taunted Brian Lara once, preceded to be hit for five boundaries in a row.

Dan Cullen was an arrogant prick wasn't he? Taunted Brian Lara once, preceded to be hit for five boundaries in a row.
Certainly combative on the field!

Had one or two bumper seasons early but then lost the ability to really rip the ball. Got measured up at the centre of excellence and was putting fewer revolutions on it than any other first class spinner.

One theory was that one day cricket messed him around - started darting them in. I don't subscribe to this theory - good players can adjust their game depending on what's required. Eg there will be times even in test cricket where spinners need to be able to spear them in and get dots. Need to have the skills to adapt.

Another theory that has more merit IMO is that he was messing around too much trying to bowl a doosra and lost his off break. A bit like leggies who invest everything in learning a wrong un, compromise their actions and lose the ability to turn their leg break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back