Niche domestic cricket references that warm the heart

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember him well, was destined for greater honours.....

His triple century in this game:

I remember most shield cricketers over the years but I've got to admit I cant recall the NSW bowler Timm van der Gugten.....apparently played for the Hurricanes about 10 years ago
Has been playing County for years under his Dutch passport, still there so must've got a Brit passport in that time too as he's still there playing since Brexit. Was out here for the t20 WC playing for the Netherlands. Still only 31

I remember him well, was destined for greater honours.....

His triple century in this game:

I remember most shield cricketers over the years but I've got to admit I cant recall the NSW bowler Timm van der Gugten.....apparently played for the Hurricanes about 10 years ago as well.
I don't recall him ever playing for NSW...only Tassie and The Netherlands.
Another blast from the past for Warriors fans in that game is Wes Robinson.

I don't recall him ever playing for NSW...only Tassie and The Netherlands.
Another blast from the past for Warriors fans in that game is Wes Robinson.
Wes Robinson and Liam Davis, one of the great opening combos

good to see a page with Theo Doropoulos mentions, admire how he's followed the james brayshaw career path but not quite as successful at each step. page needs a bit more david bandy though

Worth a read, it's a good tale of someone rated better than Katich or Mike Hussey as a junior

good to see a page with Theo Doropoulos mentions, admire how he's followed the james brayshaw career path but not quite as successful at each step. page needs a bit more david bandy though
He's a better commentator though tbf

Anyone else remember a Sheffield Shield game where NSW sent out Nathan Bracken as a "lunch watchman"?

They lost a wicket an over or two before lunch, and sent out Bracken at #3 instead of the regular batsman.

I always wondered was this some strange new tactic that never caught on, or did they honestly somehow mistake Lunch for Stumps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checked, he’s on there. Stupid nickname and all

Anyone else remember a Sheffield Shield game where NSW sent out Nathan Bracken as a "lunch watchman"?

They lost a wicket an over or two before lunch, and sent out Bracken at #3 instead of the regular batsman.

I always wondered was this some strange new tactic that never caught on, or did they honestly somehow mistake Lunch for Stumps?
I thought it might have been the game when they rolled SA for 29, and he took 7 for 4. But it wasn't that game.

No but I remember when Kane Richardson batted at 3 in a Shield game

Liam Davis making 303* is pretty high on my list of domestic obscurites.
4 FC tons in 46 matches @ 31.

What about Evan Gulbis' 229?

And how does a batting lineup containing Robinson, Davis and Birt defeat one containing Watson, Hughes, Khawaja, Smith and Haddin by an innings and 323 runs...

What about Evan Gulbis' 229?

And how does a batting lineup containing Robinson, Davis and Birt defeat one containing Watson, Hughes, Khawaja, Smith and Haddin by an innings and 323 runs...
* that would have been a fun watch for ed cowan

Lol, Darren Berry was very vocal in the press about Kane Richo being our next all rounder.

Evan Gulbis is a funny one. When I was at Carlton CC years ago, he was a bat on the cusp of Vic selection but did not bowl at all. All of a sudden starts bowling around the time he gets his first Vic game (which he didn't get a bowl in) and he's consistently 135km occasionally pushing 140 but wayward. Ends up with an FC career as a bowling all rounder (albeit one who has scored a 200). Still only 36 making runs for fun for Carlton and one of the cleanest strikers of the ball I've ever seen. Only 36, stunned he didn't play more big bash.

EDIT: Just checked cricinfo and he played 52 t20 games and was ordinary. Still surprised he isn't in a squad. Ideal spare parts man.

Last edited:
Bradley Young was another South Aussie. Had a lot of talent but i think will be remembered for ******* his leg mistiming a slide into the fence and causing the roped off playing field ever since

Remove this Banner Ad

Back