Niche domestic cricket references that warm the heart

Remove this Banner Ad

I can remember going to a SCG test when John Snow knocked Terry Jenner down with a vicious bouncer.Snow went to the boundary to field and greeted by cans thrown on the field and a spectator grabbed Snow,s arm.Illingworth the England captain took his side off the field for 20 minutes.Who else was there that day?
Wasn't there but I recall watching a doco about Australian cricket in the 70's and it referenced that test & the subsequent behaviour of the fans that day.

In those days you could take 24 cans into the cricket in an esky........I remember the Narrator of the doco emphasising that it was a maximum of 24 cans only!!!

And they would have been the ones made out of steel - not the aluminium ones we have today. Imagine if a full one of them hit you on the scone....

Simpson (former Qld captain?)
I remember in my younger days, I always seemed to think that the Tasmanian shield side had some unusual names:

• Kremerskotan (as named)
  • Sean Clingeleffer
  • Danny Buckingham
  • Gary Cowmeadow (from the late 1970''s)
  • Luke Butterworth
  • Bruce Cruise
  • Roly Hyatt
  • Rowan Sherriff
  • Phil Blizzard
  • Neil Majewski
  • Troy Cooley
  • Ally De Winter
  • Scott Hookey
  • Andy Belsak

I'm sure others can add to this list!!

Wasn't there but I recall watching a doco about Australian cricket in the 70's and it referenced that test & the subsequent behaviour of the fans that day.

In those days you could take 24 cans into the cricket in an esky........I remember the Narrator of the doco emphasising that it was a maximum of 24 cans only!!!

And they would have been the ones made out of steel - not the aluminium ones we have today. Imagine if a full one of them hit you on the scone....
First Test I ever went to at Lords was the washed out first day of the 97 Ashes and I was stunned when my mate said that we should stop at the offie to pick up some cans, at the time you were allowed to take four at a time in.

Hookesy's quick fire 100 vs the Vics.

Apparently he got the shits up because the Vics didnt declare earlier enough to make a game of it so he went out and opened the batting. Some of the Vic bowlers include Shaun Graf and Rod McCurdy.

Mind you, he was very lucky not be be adjudged lbw when on 99. Have a look at the clip at the 2:03 minute mark......absolutely stone motherless....

Last edited:
I can remember going to a SCG test when John Snow knocked Terry Jenner down with a vicious bouncer.Snow went to the boundary to field and greeted by cans thrown on the field and a spectator grabbed Snow,s arm.Illingworth the England captain took his side off the field for 20 minutes.Who else was there that day?
That was the final Test of 70-71.

In fairness, Jenner getting hit wasn't Snow's fault. Jenner (who was no mug with the bat - I just looked it up, he scored 3580 f-c runs @ 22) misread the ball and ducked into it.

What didn't help things was how Illingworth and Snow carried on before Snow got down to the deep fine leg fence, including Snow egging them on. Mind you it had been a long series where the umpire (Rowan) had been a bit of a p***k, so I kinda get England's frustrations.

What then happened was disgraceful, as you said Snow was grabbed and beer cans (which were steel back in those days) started flying.

At that test we sat on the hill,if a good looking girl walked in front of us the ferals would throw cans at them.Next to us we had a group turn up with a big bath full of beer,at tea most of them were that drunk that they were flaked out.Was not a good look and thank goodness those days are not with us now.We drank a fair bit of beer as well but never resorted to that crap.

Cullen Bailey

I don’t recall him being referred to as an all rounder but just looked and he averaged 20 with the bat. Not bad, but not great. Probably fits the “bat 8, be the 6th bowler used” tag better than I thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The SA batsmen eating pies while on the sidelines too at the start

6 overs in and the redbacks were on 69. Fair effort in that era I’d have thought.

Edit - super 8s might explain the score

I remember some Victorian bloke named Jon Moss back when I was a youngster.
I remember him going nuts and helping Victoria chase about 200 in 25 overs before the days of this being normal.

I remember some Victorian bloke named Jon Moss back when I was a youngster.
I remember him going nuts and helping Victoria chase about 200 in 25 overs before the days of this being normal.
He was a very handy cricketer. Average mid 30's bat and ball

I don’t recall him being referred to as an all rounder but just looked and he averaged 20 with the bat. Not bad, but not great. Probably fits the “bat 8, be the 6th bowler used” tag better than I thought

The old SA "golden generation" with Tait, Cosgrove, Cullen and Bailey all coming through together with big raps.

I liked Jon Moss, reminded me of a poor man's Chris Cairns.
I go back to another Moss, Jeff.

Played one Test and averaged 60.

And what a memorable Test it was. A Mankad, a handling the ball, the last 8 ball over Test and the last Test played in Australia before WSC and the establishment kissed and made up.

The old SA "golden generation" with Tait, Cosgrove, Cullen and Bailey all coming through together with big raps.
Dan Cullen. One test for Australia and then ended up playing B grade for his district side not long after playing for Australia

Then faded into the sunset.

Amazing that guys have the ability to get to that level and then disappear.

I go back to another Moss, Jeff.

Played one Test and averaged 60.

And what a memorable Test it was. A Mankad, a handling the ball, the last 8 ball over Test and the last Test played in Australia before WSC and the establishment kissed and made up.

Remember that series very well Sherb.

The 1st test we were chasing 380 odd to win. Andrew Hilditch, Allan Border (his first test century) and Kim Hughes made runs and at one stage we were 3/305....and then promptly lost 7/5 to lose the test. Gallingly, Sarfraz took 9-86....

Rodney Hogg smashed his stumps out of the ground when he was run out after leaving the crease to do some gardening in the first innings....

That 2nd test - was it Allan Hurst who Mankaded Mushtaq Mohammed? Think the appeal for handled the ball against Hilditch (which was upheld) was in retaliation to the Mankad?

I remember Jeff Moss batting at the end, basically teeing off. And Rick Daring getting 75 and 79 run out (of course) . Australia got home by 6 wickets in a rare test win....

Was a very fiery test series.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back