Official - Crows v Cats abandoned, points split, rest to go ahead, all brownlow votes will count

What would be your preference on the possible options available to the clubs, players and league

• Play as per schedule, the show must go on

Votes: 118 21.2%
  • Adelaide v Geelong abandoned and called draw

Votes: 242 43.5%
  • Adelaide v Geelong rescheduled

Votes: 107 19.2%
  • Matches played by no result record for round

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Rd 14 rescheduled completely

Votes: 39 7.0%
  • other

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Adelaide forfeit

Votes: 22 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They would've needed to make up 8% though, even if they'd won.
the tigers won by 7 goals that night, turn that into a 15-20 point loss, and collingwood win by 5-15 that would just do it.

it would be 2 vs 1 as sydney would be the only team advantaged with the break off and everyone else would be on level pegging.

no, its unfair for teams who have a favourable fixture, and it would be crap if collingwood didn't have to face hawthorn.
i feel as though if you were playing gws, at home, gold coast, or carlton this weekend your tune would be slightly different.

What happens to the Brownlow medal voting in this round is the biggest question for me from this Walsh tragedy.

I tend to agree with (in the interests of fairness) the sentiment that all games this weekend don't get votes due to Adelaide v Geelong being abandoned.
That's not fair on the guys who might play well enough to get the only votes they may get in their careers etc. it's unfortunate for Geelong and Crows players is all.

What happens to the Brownlow medal voting in this round is the biggest question for me from this Walsh tragedy.

I tend to agree with (in the interests of fairness) the sentiment that all games this weekend don't get votes due to Adelaide v Geelong being abandoned.

That's pretty extreme.

I think it should be viewed in the light of 'a match was cancelled' rather than doing it as a mark of respect.

They could award double votes for the r23 Geelong v Adelaide game?
More like x1.5, double is too much for one game and it's unlikely the same person would have scored all three in both games.

No Geelong player would be a chance to win.Would any Crows player be a chance ?

My personal belief is that both teams should have been given 4 points

Instead of 2 each I would have prefers four each ...why

We'll both teams could have won the game some figure give both teams four points and move on

But hey I'm not too concerned about it ..I think splitting is fine also

Games are worth 4 points. You can't have two winners. Either Adelaide forfeits or the points are split.

Games are worth 4 points. You can't have two winners. Either Adelaide forfeits or the points are split.

Yes correct .....of which both teams have a right to gain those four points .....your very pint backs up my reasoning

I would have thought the unusual circumstances could have dictated this idea also ....

I don't think any other team would begrudge both teams getting four points by the way

Plus it was real 50-50 game also

That's pretty extreme.

I think it should be viewed in the light of 'a match was cancelled' rather than doing it as a mark of respect.

Fyfe will win by 20 votes this year ....dead set this is non issue

Yes correct .....of which both teams have a right to gain those four points .....your very pint backs up my reasoning

I would have thought the unusual circumstances could have dictated this idea also ....

I don't think any other team would begrudge both teams getting four points by the way

All teams would. Bizarre to think otherwise.

The teams shouldn't have been given 2 points either. It should have been 4 to the Cats as the Crows forfeit or the match should have been reschuled.

The teams shouldn't have been given 2 points either. It should have been 4 to the Cats as the Crows forfeit or the match should have been reschuled.

Cats didn't want to force that on the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't give any votes unless required as a tiebreaker for the winner after the final round. Highly unlikely any Adelaide or Geelong player will be close so they won't be done hard by.

All teams would. Bizarre to think otherwise.

The Cats had the option of forcing Adelaide to forfeit Sunday’s clash with the Crows but swiftly dismissed that scenario during at meeting of club bosses at 10am on Friday.

Geelong chiefs considered Adelaide’s devastating predicament, and what they would do in similar circumstances, and told the AFL they were willing to effectively declare the match a draw and share the four premiership points.

It was the grand gesture that allowed Round 14 and the 2015 season to roll on in the least compromised way.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d-14-to-go-ahead/story-fni5f22o-1227426383344

No you're absolutely wrong There are only two options. Geelong get four points or both teams get two each. It would have been unsporting of Geelong to demand the four points for the forfeit but they could have done so.

You can't award a win to both teams. That's a nonsense.

I don't see any Cats or Crows being up there in the Brownlow count, but I'm not a fan of the decision to have voting going ahead this round at all.

The Cats had the option of forcing Adelaide to forfeit Sunday’s clash with the Crows but swiftly dismissed that scenario during at meeting of club bosses at 10am on Friday.

Geelong chiefs considered Adelaide’s devastating predicament, and what they would do in similar circumstances, and told the AFL they were willing to effectively declare the match a draw and share the four premiership points.

It was the grand gesture that allowed Round 14 and the 2015 season to roll on in the least compromised way.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d-14-to-go-ahead/story-fni5f22o-1227426383344

Class from Geelong. Will have a soft spot for them for the rest of the season after this. :thumbsu:

I don't see any Cats or Crows being up there in the Brownlow count, but I'm not a fan of the decision to have voting going ahead this round at all.

Class from Geelong. Will have a soft spot for them for the rest of the season after this. :thumbsu:
Every other club would have done the same, but I still love the decisions that our club makes off the field. Proud to be a Geelong supporter!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/phil-walsh-murdered-afl-confirms-cancellation-of-adelaide-v-geelong-rest-of-round-14-to-go-ahead/story-fni5f22o-1227426383344

Of course the Cats agreed to that. They'd be extremely bad guys to not agree to that. The AFL shouldn't have given them the choice though. Either the Crows play as the fixture says or they forfeit. Considering the circumstances, and considering the whole competition the only other alternative was to reschedule the match. Anything else, eg splitting the points, is wrong
It isn't, as the article author says, the least compromised way. It's compromised the ladder.

Of course the Cats agreed to that. They'd be extremely bad guys to not agree to that. The AFL shouldn't have given them the choice though. Either the Crows play as the fixture says or they forfeit. Considering the circumstances, and considering the whole competition the only other alternative was to reschedule the match. Anything else, eg splitting the points, is wrong
It isn't, as the article author says, the least compromised way. It's compromised the ladder.

Incorrect.

If a match had to be abandoned because of a lightning storm - the game would be considered drawn and points split 2-2

That is the rules for abandoned matches.

Incorrect.

If a match had to be abandoned because of a lightning storm - the game would be considered drawn and points split 2-2

That is the rules for abandoned matches.

If its before half time at least. If the game has reached half time, the team in front wins. The rules were put in place after the blackout at Waverly.

10.6.2 Incomplete Match
If a Match is unable to commence or continue within the time scheduled for the Match for reasons beyond the control of either Team (including circumstances where it is unsafe for the Match to proceed) the following shall apply:
(a) Match Not Commenced: The result of a Match which is unable to commence for reasons beyond the control of the Team shall be determined by the Controlling Body.
(b) Prior to Half Time: If a Match has commenced but is not able to proceed at any time within the time scheduled for the Match, the Teams shall depart from the Arena. If the Match is unable to recommence within a 30-minute period, the Match shall be deemed to be drawn and the scores of the Teams at the time the Match was interrupted shall be used in calculating the percentage of each Team.
(c) Half Time & Beyond: If the Half Time interval has been reached and the Match is unable to proceed at any time within the time scheduled for the Match, the Teams shall leave the Arena, or in the case of Half Time, not return to the Arena. If the Match is unable to recommence within a 30-minute period, the scores of the Teams at the time the Match was interrupted shall be deemed to be the final scores of the Match. The Team with the highest score shall be deemed the winner of the Match and the scores shall be used in calculating the percentage of each Team.

Last edited:
Back