Official - Crows v Cats abandoned, points split, rest to go ahead, all brownlow votes will count

What would be your preference on the possible options available to the clubs, players and league

• Play as per schedule, the show must go on

Votes: 118 21.2%
  • Adelaide v Geelong abandoned and called draw

Votes: 242 43.5%
  • Adelaide v Geelong rescheduled

Votes: 107 19.2%
  • Matches played by no result record for round

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Rd 14 rescheduled completely

Votes: 39 7.0%
  • other

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Adelaide forfeit

Votes: 22 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

there goes our chance to make the finals :( sometimes life is not fair

I looked at the 3 game block of Port, Melbourne, Adelaide and thought we needed 8 points from them to have any shot of finals. We would of had 10 without losing to Melbourne, so all the blame should be on the players for dropping that

Yes, you're the real victim here mate. I'm gonna go outside and tie a Geelong scarf around my letterbox in your honour.

You should be happy, it's 2 more points than your team would have gotten if nothing had happened to Walsh.

Last edited:
The Crows did not forfeit. The AFL declared that the match was not able to be played in the circumstances, and the AFL rule then says they split the points. It would be the same in the case of a natural disaster, if a game could not be rescheduled.

I know they didn't forfeit. Please read what I said and understand the context.

I said that either they forfeit or play the game.
BUT
because the AFL didn't enforce this then they have split the points - very much compromising the ladder in doing so.

The AFL should have awarded all points to Geelong as Adelaide couldn't/wouldn't play (ie an Adelaide forfeit) or, because of the circumstances, offered to reschedule the game.

What they have done, splitting the points, is technically worse in compromising the whole season (ie cancelling the round) than any other option.

A draw is as good as a win really for Geelong though with that poor percentage. You probably weren't going to win anyway...

To people pointing to the rules, there is no rule for this sort of circumstance. How could there possibly be?

Adelaide can play this weekend. They have a list of fit players, a ready stadium, no extreme weather events are forecast etc. Given the nature of the tragedy, it isn't reasonable to expect them to.

It a sensible compromise between the parties involved.

The AFL should have awarded all points to Geelong as Adelaide couldn't/wouldn't play (ie an Adelaide forfeit) or, because of the circumstances, offered to reschedule the game.

Geelong have stated they are against this outcome. Splitting the points is fair.

Breaks - Regular in-match club activities at 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 time will not proceed. Auskick will proceed as usual.

What does that mean? I get the pre-match silence aspect, the post match non celebration, no song, etc etc.

Geelong have stated they are against this outcome. Splitting the points is fair.

If you're going to jump into a conversation (when people are replying to people etc) then please read the whole conversation up to that to understand the context.

To address your comment:

I know this. Of course they said this.
It shouldn't have been their decision.

The AFL should have said to Adelaide

"You're meant to play Geelong this week. Considering that you don't want play under the circumstances we understand that. We appreciate that. So we can either have you forfeit the match or we can ask Geelong to reschedule the match. We don't think splitting the points is feasible as it effects the whole competition too much"

That's it.

You think rescheduling a match during the AFL season is feasible? And that the AFL should be forcing ultimatums on Adelaide the day they tragically lost their coach? Righto.

It wasn't Geelong's decision. They offered a compromise out of sportsmanship which was accepted by the AFL who made the decision. It's not like Geelong picked the best option for them and lobbied for it. The AFL could enforce a forfeit and give Geelong 4 points against their will, but what would be achieved by that exactly?

I can't even believe this conversation is happening. If we'd forfeited the 4 points to the Crows I wouldn't have been mad.

Last edited:
If you're going to jump into a conversation (when people are replying to people etc) then please read the whole conversation up to that to understand the context.

To address your comment:

I know this. Of course they said this.
It shouldn't have been their decision.

The AFL should have said to Adelaide

"You're meant to play Geelong this week. Considering that you don't want play under the circumstances we understand that. We appreciate that. So we can either have you forfeit the match or we can ask Geelong to reschedule the match. We don't think splitting the points is feasible as it effects the whole competition too much"

That's it.
How does it compromise the comp?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GIF-amazed-jaw-drop-OMG-shock-shocked-Stephen-Colbert-surprised-unbelievable-wow-GIF.gif

How does it compromise the comp?

Because now any team that has the same amount of wins and superior % than either team will now be behind the Cats or Adelaide.
% has been removed from the equation for all other teams in regards to Cats and Adelaide.
I haven't done a ladder predictor but this will effect final ladder positions. It may effect who makes finals (and associated things that go along with that) and final draft positions.

By splitting the points more then necessary collateral damage has been done to the competition (especially when the integrity of the competition should be held above all)

No you're absolutely wrong There are only two options. Geelong get four points or both teams get two each. It would have been unsporting of Geelong to demand the four points for the forfeit but they could have done so.

You can't award a win to both teams. That's a nonsense.

An opinion is never nonsense and I suggest you calm down a bit

Sometimes a different tack is ok ....each to their own

Ever heard of the term agree to disagree ....if your like me and been married for 13 years it's could turn of phrase to learn .....

Well agree to disagree thanks

I can't even believe this conversation is happening. If we'd forfeited the 4 points to the Crows I wouldn't have been made.

You're thinking emotionally rather than rationally

Because now any team that has the same amount of wins and superior % than either team will now be behind the Cats or Adelaide.
% has been removed from the equation for all other teams in regards to Cats and Adelaide.
I haven't done a ladder predictor but this will effect final ladder positions. It may effect who makes finals (and associated things that go along with that) and final draft positions.

By splitting the points more then necessary collateral damage has been done to the competition (especially when the integrity of the competition should be held above all)
The rest of the clubs were consulted and they agreed with the outcome.

Draws happen in footy without compromising the competition- this solution made the most sense

Ah well, difficult times calls for difficult measures. Suspect most are okay with this.

U know they could have drawn and split the points anyway if the game had gone ahead?

What does that mean? I get the pre-match silence aspect, the post match non celebration, no song, etc etc.
No kiss cam, cuddle cam, mascot dancing, No one telling you to bet, no ads. no welcoming past player, no merchandise giveaway. No hovercrafts. Not sure what Fremantle do during the game, but what ever it is wont be happening.

Back