Brownlow Ollie Wines 2021 Brownlow Medallist! - Yep Confirmed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie just gave his 18th and last interview for the day on 6PR - he's back in Adelaide already and he's going in for a knee op tomorrow.

He was talking up Voss's influence on his career and they told him that it looks like he's got the Carlton job:

"Oh, I hadn't heard that"

Then they told him that Ladhams has been invited to explore his options:

"Hadn't heard that one either"

Been too busy doing pressers all day probably.
Ollie is a Carlton and Voss fan…

If there's suddenly a bit of talk about changing the voting system it should be stemming from how Marcus Bontompelli manged to turn every game he polled in into 3 votes. That was just pure laziness from the umpires. Ollie had to scrap and scrape with 1's, 2's and 3's to get his 36 votes. A truly deserving winner.
This. I was screaming at the telly 🤬🤬

If there's suddenly a bit of talk about changing the voting system it should be stemming from how Marcus Bontompelli manged to turn every game he polled in into 3 votes. That was just pure laziness from the umpires. Ollie had to scrap and scrape with 1's, 2's and 3's to get his 36 votes. A truly deserving winner.
This.
And at the same time whinging about why Macrae didn't poll more.

This was the first time I’d heard Wines speak at any length and I thought he came across as a genuinely nice guy and excellent ambassador for your club. He was gracious and humble in his victory, gave credit to his team club and team mates and showed an authentic love of the game with some of his stories about his journey.
Congratulations on your first Brownlow winner.

There was a fair bit of chatter on Reddit about this being a Priddis/Woewodin level Brownlow. Pretty amazing really! Pretty clear that the three best players this year were Wines, Oliver and Bont and that was reflected in the three major awards.

I think a lot of it comes from this being Ollies first elite season, but wow. So many numpties assuming Bont had it wrapped up.

There was a fair bit of chatter on Reddit about this being a Priddis/Woewodin level Brownlow. Pretty amazing really! Pretty clear that the three best players this year were Wines, Oliver and Bont and that was reflected in the three major awards.

I think a lot of it comes from this being Ollies first elite season, but wow. So many numpties assuming Bont had it wrapped up.

The favourite won, so in theory it's only the bookies that should be unhappy - although with the plethora of multis and novelty bets available nowadays, no doubt they cleaned up as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie wins the Brownlow and suddenly a heap of narrative about changing the system....

Where is this coming from? Actual AFL pundits or randoms online? (The latter, of course, can easily be dismissed)

This was the first time I’d heard Wines speak at any length and I thought he came across as a genuinely nice guy and excellent ambassador for your club. He was gracious and humble in his victory, gave credit to his team club and team mates and showed an authentic love of the game with some of his stories about his journey.
Congratulations on your first Brownlow winner.
Maybe you should be congratulating Chris.

He seems a fan favourite in your board

View attachment 1241809
View attachment 1241812

EDIT: I give up. Why can't I attach an image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210921-094259_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-094259_WhatsApp.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Priddis' odds were at 17 to 1 and Woewodin was at 13-1. Wines was a $3.25 favourite. These people are just dumb arses.

Fair dinkum, the umps have a preconceived 3-2-1. How the hell Sam Walsh polled 30 votes from 8 wins and 88% is water into wine stuff.
If you dont think umpires pay decent free kicks because they have no real feel for the game, why would you expect them to vote properly / accurately??

3 umpires is a committee. Committee's don't make great decisions. 3 umpires were introduced in 1994. Since 1994 only midfielders have won the medal.

Wangas in 1993 won the Brownlow from the back pocket and the 2 years before that was Wynd and Stynes, both ruckmen.

2 umpires was introduced in 1976.

Have a look at the votes the winner had when there were 22 games between 1970 and 1975 with 1 umpire, and between 1976 and 1993 with 2 umpires allowing for 1993 there were only 20 minor round games. Also look at the spread of positions those winners played.

If you dont think umpires pay decent free kicks because they have no real feel for the game, why would you expect them to vote properly / accurately??

3 umpires is a committee. Committee's don't make great decisions. 3 umpires were introduced in 1994. Since 1994 only midfielders have won the medal.

Wangas in 1993 won the Brownlow from the back pocket and the 2 years before that was Wynd and Stynes, both ruckmen.

2 umpires was introduced in 1976.

Have a look at the votes the winner had when there were 22 games between 1970 and 1975 with 1 umpire, and between 1976 and 1993 with 2 umpires allowing for 1993 there were only 20 minor round games. Also look at the spread of positions those winners played.
In the 70s through to the early 90s, ruckmen and KPPs won their share of Brownlows.
Dempsey, Moore x 2, Teasdale, Templeton, Locket, Glendinning, Blight, Round, Quinlan, Moss plus you mentioned also Wynd and Stynes.
Times change.

Priddis didn't make AA or win the BnF in a team that missed finals.

In the 70s through to the early 90s, ruckmen and KPPs won their share of Brownlows.
Dempsey, Moore x 2, Teasdale, Templeton, Locket, Glendinning, Blight, Round, Quinlan, Moss plus you mentioned also Wynd and Stynes.
Times change.
Not always for the better.

What a ******* joke footy classified and kane are just touched on the Brownlow but spent more time complaining midfielder award.
If Bont one do you think it may have been different?

The first time ever 4 players polled 30 votes and that 92% of votes supposedly went to midfielders was always going to raise questions no matter who won it. The fact it wasn't a Vic medis darling adds a little bit to it, but Wines was favourite with nearly every betting agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back