Only Five Clubs Profit Without Pokies - The Big 5?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh nothing will change whilst theyre renovating KP.
The amount of debt you take on when you acquire pokies is not worth it. Hence why if you already have them its better for you and if you dont then dont bother.

I'm not sure i'd really agree with that. There's a reason most clubs have them, and that's because they are a great investment, at least in financial terms.

Don't get the hate with the pokies, they are legal and many more people play them socially, have a fun time, lose their $20 bucks or $50 or whatever and move on than people who put their life savings through, as with everything in life discipline is the key , alcohol, drugs, diet etc.

If you have a problem with pokies, get yourself banned from the pub/club, people do it all the time, alcoholics do it, drug addicts mange to overcome addictions etc.

The nanny state we live in just getting pathetic, the over governance and red tape in this country is mindblowing.

If a AFL club or whatever club has pokies, good luck to them, the only thing i don't like is poker machine palaces, there should be some kind of limit.

Don't get the hate with the pokies, they are legal and many more people play them socially, have a fun time, lose their $20 bucks or $50 or whatever and move on than people who put their life savings through, as with everything in life discipline is the key , alcohol, drugs, diet etc.

If you have a problem with pokies, get yourself banned from the pub/club, people do it all the time, alcoholics do it, drug addicts mange to overcome addictions etc.

The nanny state we live in just getting pathetic, the over governance and red tape in this country is mindblowing.

If a AFL club or whatever club has pokies, good luck to them, the only thing i don't like is poker machine palaces, there should be some kind of limit.

They're designed to addict people and strip them of cash. it's packaged as "entertainment"

As far as I'm concerned people need to take more responsibility for their own actions when it comes to addictions like pokies. I'm sick of hearing about it tbh.

When don't they?

Yet millions of people play them and are still not addicted, millions more don't even play them at all.

The more ya play, the greater chance of becoming addicted. Those leftwing bleeding hearts over at the Productivity Commission found that 15% of those that play at least once a week are addicts

Should they redesign ?.

Yep, but no c**t'd play 'em

When don't they?

The more ya play, the greater chance of becoming addicted. Those leftwing bleeding hearts over at the Productivity Commission found that 15% of those that play at least once a week are addicts

Yep, but no campaigner'd play 'em

80% of all statistics quoted to prove a point are made up on the spot, 54% of people surveyed agreed, 38% of people who played the pokies left handed disagreed with the 54%.

I'm not sure i'd really agree with that. There's a reason most clubs have them, and that's because they are a great investment, at least in financial terms.
I mean to get them today they set you back a bit. If you already have them they are a guaranteed winfall.

No matter what your personal stance on pokies anyone with brain should see that wider community is getting more and more opposed to pokies as the reality of how the operate and the effect that has on the community sinks in.

Sooner or later we will see tax reforms or outright bans, any club heavily invested in pokies needs to diversify to ensure when these reforms happen, they aren't caught with their metaphorical dick in their hands.

I have no strong view on pokies myself because people still need to make a concious decision to attend a venue, but that being said I don't feel like it's something clubs should be involved in. The kicker for me is that I'd rather see pokies profits lining the coffers of struggling clubs than the pockets of individuals like Bruce Matheson.

The two solutions to see clubs ween themselves off the pokie teat, IMO, are 1. The government stepping in and taxing pokie profits further ala cigarettes which decreases the incentive to own machines and 2. Pool that revenue for equalisation tax purposes. Perhaps set the cap at $1 million (arbitrary amount) and every second $ of profit over that cap is pooled for distribution.

On the second if a club feels uncomfortable with accepting that revenue they'd obviously have the option to decline it.

Get your mum to read this to ya
http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/gambling-2009

although with too many big words, it's prolly beyond your comprehension

Sorry, am not going to get my dear old mum to read a 6 year old report based on a 17 year old report, she is retired, likes a game of golf at the local golf club which provides decent prices on food and drinks and reasonably low membership fees prolly based on profits generated from the millions of homeless poker machine addicts roaming our streets.

After her game sometimes she likes to put some money in a poker machine, like millions of other Australians, prolly my inheritance, i should be outraged !!, i wonder what the golf facilities would be like in this country town without pokies ?, or the bowls facilities or sponsorship for a whole range of things from art shows to football clubs - prolly s**t i would imagine.

What is your stance on land rights for gay whales ?, i would be fascinated to read all the reports you have saved up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean to get them today they set you back a bit. If you already have them they are a guaranteed winfall.

Eh, surely the set up costs are not that different to what they were 10 years or so ago when a lot of clubs set theirs up. Pokies are still a great financial investment

Those leftwing bleeding hearts over at the Productivity Commission found that 15% of those that play at least once a week are addicts

I don't like pokies, but this is, when put without supporting information, a really silly statement.

"15% OF THOSE WHO PLAY AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK are addicts."

That's like saying that 90% of those who go to the netball regularly enjoy the game. It's a subset of a subset that would reasonably be assumed to be more likely to meet that criteria, it also has little reflection on the general population due to the grouping...

How many play at least once a week? One in 10? one in a million? Without this info, and comparative info on those who don't play at least once a week, the stat is meaningless.

I don't like pokies, but this is, when put without supporting information, a really silly statement.

"15% OF THOSE WHO PLAY AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK are addicts."

That's like saying that 90% of those who go to the netball regularly enjoy the game. It's a subset of a subset that would reasonably be assumed to be more likely to meet that criteria, it also has little reflection on the general population due to the grouping...

How many play at least once a week? One in 10? one in a million? Without this info, and comparative info on those who don't play at least once a week, the stat is meaningless.

I provided the link to the report, do your own homework. If anything it's a conservative estimate, as research has shown that even in anonymous phone surveys problem gamblers either minimise or deny their problem behaviour*.
As for this subset of a subset nonsense, this was an extremely thorough report. As for the "little reflection of the general population", how the hell do you think the researchers reached that conclusion, by interviewing those in venue? It was a population survey, using the most reliable and valid tool for ,easuring problem gambling (which ain't sayin' a lot, however that's for a different discussion entirely).

*no, I'm not gonna dig through

Pokie addicts are 7 times more likely to be smokers and 5 times more likely to be alcoholics.

Without pokies it's unlikely many would be doing anything constructive with that money.

I have no strong view on pokies myself because people still need to make a concious decision to attend a venue, but that being said I don't feel like it's something clubs should be involved in. The kicker for me is that I'd rather see pokies profits lining the coffers of struggling clubs than the pockets of individuals like Bruce Matheson.

The two solutions to see clubs ween themselves off the pokie teat, IMO, are 1. The government stepping in and taxing pokie profits further ala cigarettes which decreases the incentive to own machines and 2. Pool that revenue for equalisation tax purposes. Perhaps set the cap at $1 million (arbitrary amount) and every second $ of profit over that cap is pooled for distribution.

On the second if a club feels uncomfortable with accepting that revenue they'd obviously have the option to decline it.
When the brain's reward system has been hijacked, the issue of "free will" becomes a helluva lot greyer

Pokie addicts are 7 times more likely to be smokers and 5 times more likely to be alcoholics.

Without pokies it's unlikely many would be doing anything constructive with that money.

Are those stats true? Source?

This is the kind of relevant information that should be included in these kinds of studies.

Are those stats true? Source?

This is the kind of relevant information that should be included in these kinds of studies.

What has truth got to do with it? A CLUBMEDhurst demonstrates, the onus is on the one who doubts to disprove it. If you're feeling generous, you can provide a link to a sizable report that may or may not contain something that supports what is claimed.

They are in a strong position financially. Im not disputing that. But with full access to the gate its interesting to see why they cant lay off the Pokies? Hence there must be a level of debt attached to acquiring them perhaps that still needs to be paid off? I know its why North will never go near them again.

You questioned how the Cats made a loss.

the Vic State Govt sold the licences for a song to some clubs, other clubs paid more - I'd imagine it'd be the venues including machines for sale as going concerns & as for what its worth, freehold or lease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back