Opinion Our 2015 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

A little birdy tells me that we will get twilight easter sunday at Adelaide oval against either the Dees, Saints or Eagles.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...emiership-season/story-fndv8s6g-1227096512645

"Adelaide had the league’s best-attended home games (48,046 average) — and expects this to prompt the AFL to deliver both AFL grand finalists, Sydney and Hawthorn, to Adelaide Oval next season.

The Crows also want to continue their Thursday night experiment with two games in this new timeslot.

The rest of the article talks about Port.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...emiership-season/story-fndv8s6g-1227096512645

"Adelaide had the league’s best-attended home games (48,046 average) — and expects this to prompt the AFL to deliver both AFL grand finalists, Sydney and Hawthorn, to Adelaide Oval next season.

The Crows also want to continue their Thursday night experiment with two games in this new timeslot.

Who will we get on the 2 Thursday nights? That's the question. I think the rest of the draw will be very similar to this season's.

We need to own Thursday nights!

How would you structure it?
Id like to see data over the last 20 years to who has finished where etc

But in a nut shell id have east and west.

West being perth, adelaide, geelong + 4 teams from Melbourne (id say that would include hawthorn and north because they play in Tassie)

East being everywhere else.

You play your confernce twice and everyone else once.

Top 3 in each conference makes final plus two wildcards, which are the best two sides outside top 6 - that way if one conference is stronger in a a particukar year it is accounted for.

Simple, easy to explain and fair as far as it can be when you dont play each other either once only or twice.

Id like to see data over the last 20 years to who has finished where etc

But in a nut shell id have east and west.

West being perth, adelaide, geelong + 4 teams from Melbourne (id say that would include hawthorn and north because they play in Tassie)

East being everywhere else.

You play your confernce twice and everyone else once.

Top 3 in each conference makes final plus two wildcards, which are the best two sides outside top 6 - that way if one conference is stronger in a a particukar year it is accounted for.

Simple, easy to explain and fair as far as it can be when you dont play each other either once only or twice.

So two 9 team conferences. 16 games in conference and 9 games out of conference for a 25 game season?

I don't have a problem with that at all, however could see the AFLPA kicking up a massive stink.

If the AFL is looking to stay at 18 teams - then I would suggest 3 divisions of 6 teams. Play your own division twice (10 games) and teams from the other division once (12 games).

Only issue there is that you would have one division with 4 interstate teams meaning that the two Melb teams in that division would need to travel twice the amount of the Vic teams in their divisions. All 3 division winners would qualify for finals, with the next 5 best records would also qualify.

Its an interesting discussion - however I doubt the AFL wants to give up the power and extra TV revenue for the sake of fairness.

Yes and AFL would have Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond in same pool so they can have their 2 "blockbusters" verses each other every year. It may happen ... but not for at least 20 years I wouldn't think. They haven't even tried a night GF yet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets all predict who are opening game will be against in Round 1 at Adelaide oval!
im tipping:
Adelaide vs West Coast

Hasn't the AFL done away with twighlight Sunday games or is that just a Victoria thing? Personally would love more Thursday night games.

Sunday nights are gone.. twilight will never go cos of the tv time slot for foxtel.
My fav time slot is the tradtional sat arvo time slot. 2:10pm that way you have saturday night and all day sunday to get over a loss before you go to work on a monday LOL sunday arvo and sunday twilight games when you lose are terrible! you wake up on monday feelign like its the end of the world then you have to face port scumbags at work. sigh.

I'm calling it now
Rd 3 - Saturday night Showdown
Rd 5 - Friday night vs Hawthorn

I think we'll have a Friday night home game vs Hawthorn early in the year. But due to them having to have a 6 and 5 day break between Rd 1 and 3, it wont be Rd 3. So it pushes it back to Rd 5. And as a showdown in rd 7 is probably a tad late, I'll expect it in Rd 3.

Rd 1 will either be Gold Coast, West Coast or one of the smaller Melbourne teams. I'm going to go with Gold Coast.

Hasn't the AFL done away with twighlight Sunday games or is that just a Victoria thing? Personally would love more Thursday night games.
As said it is Sunday nights that are gone (not sure if the exception was when there is a holiday Monday as to me these shouldn't be a problem)

What you also may be thinking of which you alluded to is that they have said that Sunday twilight may be used more outside of Victoria, in particular Perth (where it is really an afternoon game anyway), possibly also for lower ranking vic teams when played there and certainly don't expect to see any Collingwood home games in that slot!

Sunday nights are gone..
Nek minnut - Adelaide vs Gold Coast, Easter Sunday, Rd 1.

I don't mind Sunday night when there's a public holiday on the Monday. And I hope the AFL notices it too giving the public that.

And I would kinda like that one to be ours just to show to the Victorians 'WTF are you complaining about? We turn up, why can't you? You are the self proclaimed sporting capital.....'

Too late for Petrenko farewell game?

s1Rv8pDn3oEjfqBvI6si.jpg

Will be great to have the 2:50pm game, as it will be live on Channel 7 around Australia. North Melb will be a good test for the debut of Phil Walsh and his team defence.

It will be a great way to start the year with our first 50,000 crowd of 2015.

news flash, Crows to play Melbourne, GSW and Bulldogs 3 times next season to give them the best chance of making finals, every game will be a night game to accomodate the team with their heat policy and as an added bonus a dozen Apricot Slices will be given to every member signed before the start of the season

Mod Comment: Blatant trolling like this from a poster who has not built sufficient credibility to be 'just banter' just won't be tolerated. (and this type of post is highly unlikely to ever be considered banter)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back