Our best team - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on what I've seen and today's game.

B: McMahon - Delaney - Firrito
HB: Macmillan - Hansen - Thompson
C: Bastinac - Adams - Anthony
HF: Harper - Tarrant - Edwards
F: Harvey - Petrie - Thomas
R: Goldstein - Swallow - Wells
I: McIntosh, Cunnington, Greenwood
S: Atley

Emg: Pedersen, Mullett, Campbell, Wright

Inj/Susp: Grima, Ziebell

I can't see both Delaney and Hansen coming in to the side going by the way Scott has been setting up the defensive structures. I think we will try to run Essendon off their feet.

B: McMahon - Hansen - Firrito
HB: Macmillan -Thompson - Wright

Emg: Pedersen, Mullett, Campbell

Goldy and H-Mac will follow Ryder in to defence.

Well, preseason is now over. My shot at the best team ...

B: McMahon - Thompson - Firitto
HB: Macmillan - Hansen - Wright
C: Bastinac - Wells - Anthony
HF: Harper - Petrie - Edwards
F: Harvey - Tarrant - Thomas
R: Goldstein - Swallow - Adams

Inj/Susp: Grima, Ziebell

Spot on with this team for mine Bennover:thumbsu:
Look at the players who can kick the ball. This is where we will improve. I really like Wright and Jmac off half back. I'd be happy to see LT at half forward to just give us some more zip through midfield. If the team plays well then leaving Boomer as a permanent forward will create all sorts of headaches for the opposition backs. There's 3 players i think are under pressure and it all comes back to speed and mobility. Tarrant,McIntosh and Edwards. I like Azza but he must kick goals. Pedersen is next in line for any of these three.

Greenwood isn't best 22 atm. Wright and Mullett both ahead of him.

yes have to agree.....these have more polish than greenwood. I think Greenwood has to aim at being our negator and be the very best at it. Weve got some kids now that have the skills better than greenwood and now theyre getting stronger and their self belief increases this makes it more harder for Levi.

I still like Pedersen in the team, can give us flexibility down back and forward if needed, however the team looked good yesterday, the run and carry has differently improved. The only think looked a little worrying was key positions in the back line if opposition teams have 2 main tall players.

I can't see both Delaney and Hansen coming in to the side going by the way Scott has been setting up the defensive structures. I think we will try to run Essendon off their feet.

B: McMahon - Hansen - Firrito
HB: Macmillan -Thompson - Wright

Goldy and H-Mac will follow Ryder in to defence.
Looks pretty close to me as well.

Cunners and Greenwood are the two on the block when Ziebell returns. Atley better produce as the sub because theres a number of players gunning for a spot. Campbell, Speight, Mullet and one or two others.

When Grima is fit, it may become a question of who out of Tarrant or McIntosh is most important to the structure.

I do the like the idea of our ruckmen dropping back behind the play though and plugging up CHB. Makes playing the extra tall in defense less important.

I do the like the idea of our ruckmen dropping back behind the play though and plugging up CHB. Makes playing the extra tall in defense less important.

The general consensus has been that Hamish and Todd will roll forward, but i'm leaning towards the idea that Scott will go with both rucks and have them follow Ryder in to the back line. Goldstein was very good when dropping in to defence yesterday. This also allows us to play one less key defender.

Hansen to Hurley, Goldstein/McIntosh to Ryder.

If Essendon go too tall, we will kill them on the rebound.

The general consensus has been that Hamish and Todd will roll forward, but i'm leaning towards the idea that Scott will go with both rucks and have them follow Ryder in to the back line. Goldstein was very good when dropping in to defence yesterday. This also allows us to play one less key defender.

Hansen to Hurley, Goldstein/McIntosh to Ryder.

If Essendon go too tall, we will kill them on the rebound.

Ryder is just way to quick for those blokes. Regards rebound last year he chased down Yarran and Wojinski so he wont slow down pressure at all and we play Crameri as support KPF, though he isn't really a KPP. Crameri has plenty of toe and was a very high level hurdler back in his youth.

Also in the first half against Brisbane, who were so bad that half probably wont say much about Essendon, Essendon played a very hard forward press and having two or three lumbering KPFs didn't hurt Collingwood in their ability to apply that.

So you'll need someone to actually go with Ryder when he's forward, though your rucks go back to plug a hole is a good and separate idea.

Can I ask who played KPD for you lot against Carlton? Did they go well or was it a matter of Hampson's inability to read the ball in flight or catch it when he flukes a guess on where the ball will come? Also why didn't Hansen play, was he injured?

Ryder is just way to quick for those blokes. Regards rebound last year he chased down Yarran and Wojinski so he wont slow down pressure at all and we play Crameri as support KPF, though he isn't really a KPP. Crameri has plenty of toe and was a very high level hurdler back in his youth.

Also in the first half against Brisbane, who were so bad that half probably wont say much about Essendon, Essendon played a very hard forward press and having two or three lumbering KPFs didn't hurt Collingwood in their ability to apply that.

So you'll need someone to actually go with Ryder when he's forward, though your rucks go back to plug a hole is a good and separate idea.

Can I ask who played KPD for you lot against Carlton? Did they go well or was it a matter of Hampson's inability to read the ball in flight or catch it when he flukes a guess on where the ball will come? Also why didn't Hansen play, was he injured?
Firrito was our KPD....

Hansen will return against your mob.

I dont think we will have any issues with our height vs yours.

Whomever controls the midfield will pretty much win the game IMO. I doubt Ryder would be our number one concern. Hurley is the matchup we need to get right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who plays on who depends on who plays where for the Bombres'. If Hurley goes to CHF then Hansen goes to him. If FF, then Delaney.

He's not super quick. If Delaney's quite lightly built (as I've read on here) then Hurley will boss him around a bit imho.

Have you bought a NMFC membership yet?

Anyway, if it's L.Delaney then he will match Hurley for strengh but if C.Delaney plays then Hurley will have him.The ball will not come down often enough for this to be a problem either way.

Hurley would kick 10 on Hansen. Just too quick off the blocks.

Goldy/Hamish to fill the hole in Rd 1 sounds like a winning plan. Make Hurley and Ryder lead wide.

Agree on the second point but not so much on the first point. Hansen will play from in front as he has in the pre-season matches. I'm much more concerned by Hurleys kicking prowess than I am by his potential to aerially dominate this match, and if Hansen gets on his bike on the rebound, Hurley will get slower. Hansen is an elite endurance key position player.

I'm just not that worried about Ryder. We will shut down the corridoor and force the Essendon midfield to possess the ball longer. This will play in to our hands.

Who plays on who depends on who plays where for the Bombres'. If Hurley goes to CHF then Hansen goes to him. If FF, then Delaney.

Thompson gets him I reckon.

I find it hard to think that either Delaney would be playing. Luke has played 15 minutes in preseason so far and Cam is probably no quite there yet.

Thompson gets Hurley
Hansen gets Ryder
Firrito gets Crameri
McMahon gets Monfries
Atley gets Jetta
Wright gets the left over

The match ups should be:
Luke Delaney will take Hurley
Hansen-Ryder
Thompson-Crameri
Firrito-Monfries
McMahon-Jetta
Wright-Resting mid (Zaharakis/stanton/McVeigh)

thats our back 6 vs there forward 6.

1 of macmillan/atley on the bench or sub.

Will they play Hille? I think they might. Will Brad Scott roll the dice and stay with the smaller back line? I think he will.

Thompson gets him I reckon.
Hmmmm. Possibly. I kind of like the idea of having Hunter on a bloke that doesn't do the leading as much so that he can arrive at the contest after the ball has arrived and mop up once the ball hits the ground. That and the fact that as a third tall he is generally bigger than his direct opponent without losing anything in agility and pace.

Yea they will play Hille in the ruck rotating wth Ryder.
I hope we don't roll the dice and go small in defence because we would get killed in the air
I get the feeling that they will try to stretch us. Hille, Bellchambers, Ryder, Hurley and Carlisle are all tall options they might employ, with Crameri playing taller than he is too. They will have three tall backs in Pears, Fletch and Hooker as well.

On the flipside, carrying such tall timber will be to their detriment if we get on top in the middle. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they name their team and see what Scott does. I'd prefer to go with the regulation set-up of Delaney/Grima, Hansen and then Hunter and Spud as other options down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back