Our last Melbourne final was in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't be fooled by the Hawks and Cats...they were rubbish at one stage and only got there because of some good draft picks. Everyone forgets about how these teams got to be so successful...same could be said about the Saints and their GF appearances...Freo last year...all rubbish at the bottom of the ladder at some stage getting drafts.

Us...we were caught between rocks and hard places.

Geelong's highest pick was Selwood at six. Most of their dynasty list was through outstanding recruitment (and the odd trade, ie - Ottens).

If anything, Geelong are the poster child for the theory that you don't need to tank and get top picks to be successful, although a good run with the F/S rule also helps.

Geelong's highest pick was Selwood at six. Most of their dynasty list was through outstanding recruitment (and the odd trade, ie - Ottens).

If anything, Geelong are the poster child for the theory that you don't need to tank and get top picks to be successful, although a good run with the F/S rule also helps.
Good run? More like brilliant without precedent and unlikely to ever be seen again.

Good run? More like brilliant without precedent and unlikely to ever be seen again.

Neither Ablett or Scarlett were considered outstanding prospects - both are just as much a result of Geelong's own player development as they are luck with the rule. Hawkins I'll give you, but 2007 was probably their best side and he wasn't a factor then.

We've had some really good wins obviously, but with the benefit of hindsight, I can't call any of them season or era defining. The McCartney game obviously had plenty of emotion in it, as did the round 1 game of 2002, post Carey departure, or the 2007 semi vs Hawthorn, or our great wins against the Cats and Collingwood back in 2012, or the Hawthorn game couple of weeks ago etc etc. But has any of them moved this team onto a path of consistent success? Not really.

The game I am looking for is the equivalent of Geelong vs Richmond in 2007, after we beat Geelong. That game started their era.

OR 1993 v Pies 'Pretenders No More'!

The worst aspect about these finals losses is the comprehensive smashing we have got in most of them as well.

Colbys last game...that Cats final at the MCG....**** me.
Colbert copped Port 2005 Elim.
Rawlings copped a mauling against the Saints in 2011 that cost us finals before we atleast beat the Tiges for him.
Mick and Blakey copped a loss to the Dees in 2002.
Shagga copped the Port round 22 *up in his 300th FFS and then we went to Sydney for the Elim.
Stevo and Kingy copped the 114 point disaster up in Brissy in 2004.
Arch copped the 87 point prelim disaster in 2007
Sav got dished up the belting by Collingwood in 2006
Corey never got a proper farewell

The only one who I can think of that we looked after was Horse who went out on 200 games and a Flag.

Rawlings copped a mauling against the Saints in 2011 that cost us finals before we atleast beat the Tiges for him.
Shagga copped the Port round 22 ****up in his 300th FFS and then we went to Sydney for the Elim.

The only one who I can think of that we looked after was Horse who went out on 200 games and a Flag.

Floss Fairley in 96.

Shagga copped the Port round 22 ****up in his 300th FFS and then we went to Sydney for the Elim.

That ******* * final in 2000. Lordo kicked the tonne.

duh.gif

Floss Fairley in 96.
Yep. Theyd be about it.
Leaves a poor taste that so many champions and greats of our club have their final memory in the jumper being on the back of a hiding.
That ******* * final in 2000. Lordo kicked the tonne.

duh.gif
If I have ever felt inferior at a game of football, that day did it to me. That and the orange game weeks prior.
I mean *.

Yep. Theyd be about it.
Leaves a poor taste that so many champions and greats of our club have their final memory in the jumper being on the back of a hiding.

If I have ever felt inferior at a game of football, that day did it to me. That and the orange game weeks prior.
I mean ****.

Left at 3/4 time...wat was it...101 pts at 3 Q time...I left the G that day shattered...you just knew the era was over....yet I look at the FootyWire stats and we made it to a Prelim...and I don't remember that final...shows how much it mucked with my brain.

Left at 3/4 time...wat was it...101 pts at 3 Q time...I left the G that day shattered...you just knew the era was over....yet I look at the FootyWire stats and we made it to a Prelim...and I don't remember that final...shows how much it mucked with my brain.
Shollys last game against the Deez. Kicked 6 or 7 the champ and we got done by 50 points. Dare I say it another to the list

Great thread.

Makes me want to go and kick some puppies off the roof.

I didn't realise it was that dry, the recent decade and a half.

Our fans are quality - deserve some success for all their recent efforts
This is why we are having trouble with our 'club culture'. It starts with winning games, winning finals. Then Arden St might start feeling like the 90's again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 spoons in that time and the 50 year anniversary of their last premiership this September. Not exactly burning with jealousy.
yeah, you'd want to be rebuilding with those top draft picks. Norths 4 flags in my life time sits fine with me, and we've never bottomed out and been truly awful or tanked.

people are just so irritating
wot on earth is with the totally arbitrary 'From 2000' timeline

if you are to young to remember
93 Qual
94 prelim
95 Prelim
96 GF Win
97 Qual
98 GF Loss
99 GF Win
2000 Qual

so we had a good run
pity u missed it

93 Qual
94 prelim
95 Prelim
96 GF Win
97 Qual
98 GF Loss
99 GF Win
2000 Qual

so we had a good run
pity u missed it

99 and 97 were both prelim years.

It was actually 7 consecutive prelims in a row from 94 to 2000, a league record.

In the 80's we were similarly haunted by massive finals losses, starting with Brereton's first game in '82.

Then there were the two games in '83, topped off by '87, which is one of the worst days I can remember.

93 Qual
94 prelim
95 Prelim
96 GF Win
97 Qual
98 GF Loss
99 GF Win
2000 Qual

so we had a good run
pity u missed it
I remember the 1990s well, don't worry about that. But how long as we going to hang our hat on that? We've been utter crap since the last Prelim of that era.

Shollys last game against the Deez. Kicked 6 or 7 the champ and we got done by 50 points. Dare I say it another to the list

That was a bizarre bit of trivia for Sholl and Crocker.

Sholl kicked 7 goals in his last game which happened to be a losing prelim final.

Crocker kicked 7 goals in his last game which happened to be a losing prelim final.

93 Qual
94 prelim
95 Prelim
96 GF Win
97 Qual
98 GF Loss
99 GF Win
2000 Qual

so we had a good run
pity u missed it

New decade, new century. Yaknow kinda provides an arbitrary line to start afresh.

Otherwise where do you draw the line? Should Melbourne supporters still be high on the smell of their own dung after enjoying a brilliant run in the 1750s before the advent of the patented steam engine?

Ha I must need a liedown!

I'll cop that he finished in 98 not 97. Think he retired mid-year. So can understand how I thought he retired after the 97 prelim. Maybe it was a memory that he should've retired then.

But I'd have sworn he got 7 v Saints, like he was playing a lone hand. Computer says 4.

Thanks for fixing my memory. And making me wonder if I need a holiday.

93 Qual
94 prelim
95 Prelim
96 GF Win
97 Qual
98 GF Loss
99 GF Win
2000 Qual

so we had a good run
pity u missed it

Went to all of those games ..Even remember sleeping out for grandfinal tickets

Ha I must need a liedown!

I'll cop that he finished in 98 not 97. Think he retired mid-year. So can understand how I thought he retired after the 97 prelim. Maybe it was a memory that he should've retired then.

But I'd have sworn he got 7 v Saints, like he was playing a lone hand. Computer says 4.

Thanks for fixing my memory. And making me wonder if I need a holiday.

I thought this was one of those trick questions where he kicked seven in the twos or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back