• None of the above

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Simon Lloyd

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is not just one worthy candidate out there and nor is the coach most coveted by one club the same as another's. It's about the right fit for the club and I would say it's highly unlikely any of the teams mentioned would fit the same candidate.

Also doubt Bombers can afford to pay out Hird, or if the fans would wear it. Unless he falls on his own sword they are stuck with him, and he hasn't shown himself to be a guy who falls on swords, his or anyone else's.

Carlton is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they appoint Barker it'll be "I bet they didn't do their due diligence and the committee was just for show!"
If they don't appoint Barker it'll be "How could they do that to him?!"
If they appoint someone quickly it'll be "They've sat on their fat arses doing nothing!"
If they take a while to announce a new coach it'll be "Good one, we had to settle for whoever was left!"

Grrrr....
Everyone who has been paying attention knows that the AFL and the AFLCA has asked Carlton to hold off interviewing potential coaches until after the end of the season (read after the grand final) so that we don't interfere with the running of other clubs.

What I want to know is why are they interfering with the running of Carlton. Surely it is in the best interests if the league to let us interview potential coaches during the course of the season and make our decision AFTER the grand final when we have interviewed all prospective coaches!

I continue to be amazed at the relative lack of love for Bolton on this thread.

The game has moved so much in the last decade or two, it is now far more strategic and analytical.
The media, the past players and most fans like to sensationalise the success stories of past eras. There
was comparatively little "science" during those eras it was about talent and motivation. Our own club
is the classic example of simply acquiring the best players, rather than list building and innovative
tactics.

Malthouse was from the bygone era, he had basic game plans, and believed that the same principles
exist today as they did 20 or even 10 years ago. We have historically loved to sledge Collingwood and
it's fans. Rightly so, for at least 5 seasons the Magpies had the best list in the game, routinely dominated
the home and away season and with one exception failed at or near the big dance.

The Lions era was predicated on a superior team, put together either by design or chance and a disciplined
and demanding coach who had and retains the utmost respect from the entire footy community. The Geelong
era was again on the back of a superior list predicated largely through the fortunes from old Father/Son rule.
Anecdotally the leadership of a number of players was as much, if not more responsible for their successful
era.

Worsfold's West Coast held some similarities to the Lions with a great list and an admirable, role model coach
with some tactical innovation. They have maintained a solid list and have under performed for a number of
years, as the "most likely". The game and/or Gen Y moved past Worsfold and despite "being loved" appeared
to lose portions of the list.

This year, on the back of retirements and injuries, the Eagles were written off early, and have amazed all and
sundry with their high flying season. It is absolutely no coincidence that Adam Simpson has the reins now after
doing his apprenticeship at Hawthorn. He has brought non-negotiables and focussed on skills, which now have
a largely similar list making a monumental march up the ladder. Simpson's defensive patterns are poetry in motion,
and he has total buy in from the list.

The other big improver is Western Bulldogs, who again have a Hawthorn apprentice (Clarkson disciple), instilling
discipline (not afraid to wield the axe on high profile players), commitment, improved skills and structures. The
Hawthorn base model is demonstratively the best on offer.

Hawthorn over the past 7 years has been the shining light, any student of the game has viewed the growth in
the group and in Clarkson. He has, at a relatively young age, become the godfather of coaching. Analysis and
innovation are his legacy. The plethora of left footers has not been by chance. The extended apprenticeships for
their draftees, most lower picks, while having the luxury of some targeted recruiting. The ability of the Collingwood
delisted Ceglar to keep high profile McEvoy out of the team speaks volumes for their development being more
relevant than their recruiting (Buddy gone).

The Roos/Longmire driven Swans model seems a hybrid between the old and the new. They have good systems,
but don't trust them enough to back their list in. The COLA driven Bondi Billionaires suggest to me, a less confident
brains trust, who in recent years have adopted many Hawthorn practices. Their midfield depth, much like Hawks
allow them to subtly rotate roles within their groups.

Barker has been most refreshing of late, rotating numerous players through our midfield, displaying a clear
understanding of the modern game. Juddy was cooked, Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo and Curnow have suffered under
MM as he did not share the heavy lifting to Cripps, Bell, Graham and others. Our forward and defensive structures
have not yet improved enough, but Barks has certainly improved things. The question is, does he have the package
to do the full job?

There are plenty of good coaching prospects out there. I have been a gambler, but always tried to ensure the
percentages were in my favour. When Clarko had his illness he turned to Bolton. Bolton is an educator, a communicator,
has an intricate knowledge of the most successful system, and has played an integral part in it's application.
I gave an insight in to his background many pages back, he is the safest bet for our misguided, reactive board
and management.

Carlton is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they appoint Barker it'll be "I bet they didn't do their due diligence and the committee was just for show!"
If they don't appoint Barker it'll be "How could they do that to him?!"
If they appoint someone quickly it'll be "They've sat on their fat arses doing nothing!"
If they take a while to announce a new coach it'll be "Good one, we had to settle for whoever was left!"

Grrrr....
Well said Mebby.

The game has moved so much in the last decade or two, it is now far more strategic and analytical.
The media, the past players and most fans like to sensationalise the success stories of past eras. There
was comparatively little "science" during those eras it was about talent and motivation. Our own club
is the classic example of simply acquiring the best players, rather than list building and innovative
tactics.

Malthouse was from the bygone era, he had basic game plans, and believed that the same principles
exist today as they did 20 or even 10 years ago. We have historically loved to sledge Collingwood and
it's fans. Rightly so, for at least 5 seasons the Magpies had the best list in the game, routinely dominated
the home and away season and with one exception failed at or near the big dance.

The Lions era was predicated on a superior team, put together either by design or chance and a disciplined
and demanding coach who had and retains the utmost respect from the entire footy community. The Geelong
era was again on the back of a superior list predicated largely through the fortunes from old Father/Son rule.
Anecdotally the leadership of a number of players was as much, if not more responsible for their successful
era.

Worsfold's West Coast held some similarities to the Lions with a great list and an admirable, role model coach
with some tactical innovation. They have maintained a solid list and have under performed for a number of
years, as the "most likely". The game and/or Gen Y moved past Worsfold and despite "being loved" appeared

This year, on the back of retirements and injuries, the Eagles were written off early, and have amazed all and
sundry with their high flying season. It is absolutely no coincidence that Adam Simpson has the reins now after
doing his apprenticeship at Hawthorn. He has brought non-negotiables and focussed on skills, which now have
a largely similar list making a monumental march up the ladder. Simpson's defensive patterns are poetry in motion,

The other big improver is Western Bulldogs, who again have a Hawthorn apprentice (Clarkson disciple), instilling
discipline (not afraid to wield the axe on high profile players), commitment, improved skills and structures. The

Hawthorn over the past 7 years has been the shining light, any student of the game has viewed the growth in
the group and in Clarkson. He has, at a relatively young age, become the godfather of coaching. Analysis and
innovation are his legacy. The plethora of left footers has not been by chance. The extended apprenticeships for
their draftees, most lower picks, while having the luxury of some targeted recruiting. The ability of the Collingwood
delisted Ceglar to keep high profile McEvoy out of the team speaks volumes for their development being more

The Roos/Longmire driven Swans model seems a hybrid between the old and the new. They have good systems,
but don't trust them enough to back their list in. The COLA driven Bondi Billionaires suggest to me, a less confident
brains trust, who in recent years have adopted many Hawthorn practices. Their midfield depth, much like Hawks

Barker has been most refreshing of late, rotating numerous players through our midfield, displaying a clear
understanding of the modern game. Juddy was cooked, Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo and Curnow have suffered under
MM as he did not share the heavy lifting to Cripps, Bell, Graham and others. Our forward and defensive structures
have not yet improved enough, but Barks has certainly improved things. The question is, does he have the package
to do the full job?

There are plenty of good coaching prospects out there. I have been a gambler, but always tried to ensure the
percentages were in my favour. When Clarko had his illness he turned to Bolton. Bolton is an educator, a communicator,
has an intricate knowledge of the most successful system, and has played an integral part in it's application.
I gave an insight in to his background many pages back, he is the safest bet for our misguided, reactive board
and management.

Im also backing Bolton in. We need a development coach from a successful system who is up to date with modern game plans.

Bolton is the best that there is on offer! As you have stated the Hawthorn model is the best model to follow over the last decade, Simpson and Beveride are both graduates of this model and have made an amazing transition into Senior Coaching. Highly rated assistants from successful programs dont always work out ie) Neeld and Watters. However the Hawthorn assistants appear to be successful.

Im all for Bolton.

Everyone who has been paying attention knows that the AFL and the AFLCA has asked Carlton to hold off interviewing potential coaches until after the end of the season (read after the grand final) so that we don't interfere with the running of other clubs.

I don't think that's true.
We can't do it during the finals, or announce a coach who is participating in the finals before their club is out, but the interviews are going to start well before October.

Honestly I'd say Adelaide is the most attractive club for a first time coach to go to.

Great list, powerful forward line and a great captain in Tex, also a really decent midfield team with or without Dangerfield.
Also I reckon if Campo does a good job at the Crows he could be an applicant worth looking at.

The Dons board likes Dew.

Have to say that their list as it stands, let alone gutted by WADA suspensions, and the internal politics of the most god awful sporting club in Christendom, with their extreme xeonophobia of non Essendon people, would make any prospective candidate think twice.

Would think they will give it Harvey or someone equally desperate for another crack that he would otherwise have no show of getting.

And then there is the 1.5 million bucks they would have to pay Hird to axe him, on top of the one million he got while on holiday in France. The best paid 13 game coaching stint in history at, what, 230K a game?

And they are getting slaughtered by the reigning spooners. Whats that saying about fools and money?

I'd love Ross Lyon but can't see him leaving Freo maybe if they win the flag perhaps to end on a fairytale sort of note:p.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tactics.

era.

to do the full job?

and management.

He's got my vote changed it from dew to bolton.

J Barker 3 votes, I tend to believe a caretaker coaches honeymoon period is only 2 week period (3 week tops) but Barks really has really rejuvenated the club and playing list, and the style of positive, less defensive/zig zag, yet hard and accountable footy the boys are playing, is very appealing to me.

The sloppy footskills/goal kicking on Saturday night was disappointing,but can be rectified over time. Don't see why shouldn't get the gig on a full time basis (at this point at time, still 10 games left/lot of things could happen)

J Barker 3 votes, I tend to believe a caretaker coaches honeymoon period is only 2 week period (3 week tops) but Barks really has really rejuvenated the club and playing list, and the style of positive, less defensive/zig zag, yet hard and accountable footy the boys are playing, is very appealing to me.

The sloppy footskills/goal kicking on Saturday night was disappointing,but can be rectified over time. Don't see why shouldn't get the gig on a full time basis (at this point at time, still 10 games left/lot of things could happen)
Think Barks has been decently proactive too. Everitt used forward the way we have has been a nice touch and our midfield has a whole has been utilized heaps better, playing the likes of Graham helps of course though.

The way the Dogs had obviously prepared with a plan for our midfield in the first quarter looked like they had the clearances figured out but then comes the 2nd quarter, we certainly turned that around. We couldn't sustain it all game and we missed a heap of chances, but the fact we even get that many chances is a change from earlier in the year.

Also liked the way we came out playing on Stringer, despite the fact he still snuck in some freakish goals. I never expected Touhy to be used like that but the way he and White played in front and marked over Stringer suggests they put a bit of time into working him out.

That's not all Barks obviously, but it's stuff like that is something we're only really seeing the last few weeks and it's a positive. We're trying things.

Barker has definitely come in and done a good job so far. But I wouldn't be judging him too much just yet. It's only effectively half a season he's in charge for, so its a pretty small sample size to judge someone on. He's done well thus far and we are definitely more competitive and the style hes got us playing seems to suit us better but I'll reserve judgment until the season is over. I certainly think he'd very much on the short list and in the top couple of preferred candidates, but I just hope we go through a proper process and ditch the "old Carlton" mentality that has hung round the club like a bad smell in recent years.

You also wonder how much the Malthouse saga weighed on the players minds in the opening rounds and how much that effected their football. I suspect that partially the players are playing with more freedom simply because the pressure has been taken off now that mick has gone and finals are no longer a realistic possibility. There's no doubt the whole Malthouse will he, wont he be sacked situation was an absolute farce. It was a huge distraction, so it doesn't surprise me in a away that the players are playing with more confidence.

No one could have expected Walsh's death, but Hardwick easily could have been ready to be sacked any minute had they had a bad month, as I pointed out weeks ago.

So we had our pick of the field, now after 6 weeks sitting around doing SFA, another club is searching for a coach.

Well done Carlton, it's all getting so predictable this stuff.

Are you assuming we're doing SFA because every minute detail of our selection process isn't being reported on by mental giants like Jon Ralph and Mark Robinson?

Or are you assuming so because we haven't made an appointment in the 6 weeks which have passed since Malthouse was sacked?

I guess some people just can't be pleased. You'd no doubt be bemoaning a lack of professionalism had the club rushed into a decision rather than undergoing an extensive selection process as it should do.

The club has organized the selection committee and has begun approaching candidates. You clearly gain enormous enjoyment in finding faults in the way Carlton operates, but you have to be having a laugh on this occasion. There's not much more the club could have done to this point in time, and suggesting we've erred for not hurrying the process so as to avoid 'competition' from other clubs looking for a head coach is quite simply laughable.

Let's not forget that the other clubs have asked Carlton not to disrupt their seasons by approaching their assistants too early. Most of the contact would be through managers rather than a formal interview process at this stage.

Bolton for me.

Dew will most likely get the Adelaide job he almost got last year now. He's more suited to them as well with their list already in a strong position.

We need a coach who can teach and develop a young group. Bolton/Lloyd both have experience in this and also have a teaching/psychology background which will further help their output.

I back Bolton over Lloyd as the Hawthorn model is the blueprint for all teams, hes has been learning from Clarko and is a young up and comer who is very highly regarded by Hawthorn. Looks like a thinker who would be very tactical minded.

No one could have expected Walsh's death, but Hardwick easily could have been ready to be sacked any minute had they had a bad month, as I pointed out weeks ago.

So we had our pick of the field, now after 6 weeks sitting around doing SFA, another club is searching for a coach.

Well done Carlton, it's all getting so predictable this stuff

Contender for the most ridiculous comment of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back