• None of the above

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Simon Lloyd

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prefixing a post with 'not to be insensitive' doesn't make it any less so. Are we really discussing the need to get to jump on the Crows?

I think everyone is quite aware that another team now requires a head coach, but I would have also thought it clear that there is no robust discussion to be had from this right now and it can and should wait.

Prefixing a post with 'not to be insensitive' doesn't make it any less so. Are we really discussing the need to get to jump on the Crows?

I think everyone is quite aware that another team now requires a head coach, but I would have also thought it clear that there is no robust discussion to be had from this right now and it can and should wait.
Buddy, you cant hide from the facts. 2 Clubs are looking for a coach that's the bottom line. We want the best available. It in no way insensitive.

You should worry about the people complaining about their supercoach points due to the cancellation of the game, or better yet those making memes on the internet making fun of the situation.

Chill.

There is no robust discussion surrounding their need to get a new coach. None.

It was mentioned simply to highlight that the coaching pool is shallow due to the AFL qualification requirements and we are no longer the only team looking. Entirely a Carlton perspective which would be a factor whether a club sacked their coach or for other reasons.

I also wanted to point out that the Adelaide board themselves delicately raised this issue 2 days ago and it has 795 posts.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/where-to-now.1102760/
What do we have to contribute to the issue right now other than to note there is another team seeking a head coach? Everybody's aware - it's already turned to complaining about them being granted special concessions (which they haven't yet been given), and us needing to get on the front foot while we can.

I would have thought the respectful thing to do is not worry about what potential impact this may have on us, at least right now. Especially given it actually doesn't change anything - we will go through the process and make an offer to the person we deem best suited.

Edit: I should add I am not intending to imply you or others are personally insensitive, but I think the discussion itself is.

Last edited:
Don't mess with me this morning TL my glare default setting is at 7 right nwo

Come on MEB.

Last night someone urinated down my back and told me it was raining. This morning I woke up and felt like the boy with the barrow as I had it all ahead of me.

Save me your rants, nobody is interested in the birthing pains, they only want to see the baby! :)

Come on MEB.

Last night someone urinated down my back and told me it was raining. This morning I woke up and felt like the boy with the barrow as I had it all ahead of me.

Save me your rants, nobody is interested in the birthing pains, they only want to see the baby! :)
Haha I literally have no idea what you're talking about but it's still better than wanting Pagan back :)

Which job looks more attractive for 2016

- Carlton
- Adelaide
- North Melbourne
- Essendon

I say this somewhat in jest but its not beyond the realms of possibility that there will be four vacant coaching positions come the end of the season.

Hope Carlton just stick to their 'process' but they may need to get on their bike and get interviewing !!

Can we afford to wait until seasons end to see how Barker pans out ? Do we get spooked and rush the decision.

Not an easy position for the board to be in .

- Carlton
- Adelaide
- North Melbourne
- Essendon

I say this somewhat in jest but its not beyond the realms of possibility that there will be four vacant coaching positions come the end of the season.

Hope Carlton just stick to their 'process' but they may need to get on their bike and get interviewing !!

Can we afford to wait until seasons end to see how Barker pans out ? Do we get spooked and rush the decision.

And that's the entire point of the discussion. It's not about why there are other clubs in the market, just that there are other clubs in the market and potentially that might see some assistant coaches baulk at our offer. I think you are right about Essendon and North need to make the finals or they will be shopping too.

What do we have to contribute to the issue right now other than to note there is another team seeking a head coach? Everybody's aware - it's already turned to complaining about them being granted special concessions (which they haven't yet been given), and us needing to get on the front foot while we can.

I would have thought the respectful thing to do is not worry about what potential impact this may have on us, at least right now. Especially given it actually doesn't change anything - we will go through the process and make an offer to the person we deem best suited.

Edit: I should add I am not intending to imply you or others are personally insensitive, but I think the discussion itself is.

Bottom line. Crows supporters are discussing their next coach. It's perfectly reasonable for Carlton supporters to discuss the same acknowledging it's not necessarily an open field where we can wait around and still get the person we want. Nothing to do with why that situation has come about. I'm not sure we would be telling the Crows supporters they are being insensitive. They are dealing with things by looking to the future.

And that's the entire point of the discussion. It's not about why there are other clubs in the market, just that there are other clubs in the market and potentially that might see some assistant coaches baulk at our offer. I think you are right about Essendon and North need to make the finals or they will be shopping too.

Still - in all seriousness I concede that Adelaide would be a pretty attractive proposition compared to Carlton as they at least seem to be on an upward curve (but perhaps losing Dangerfield ??).

I reckon though you could argue that Carlton, for a prospective coach, is at least on a par with Essendon and North:

- we have at least bottomed out

- we don't have the WADA stuff hanging over us

- North have rolled the dice on their list and fallen well short and will need a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still - in all seriousness I concede that Adelaide would be a pretty attractive proposition compared to Carlton as they at least seem to be on an upward curve (but perhaps losing Dangerfield ??).

I reckon though you could argue that Carlton, for a prospective coach, is at least on a par with Essendon and North:

- we have at least bottomed out

- we don't have the WADA stuff hanging over us

- North have rolled the dice on their list and fallen well short and will need a rebuild.

Yes Essendon have some talent and have the KPPs to work with but the midfield needs work and they have possible suspensions hanging over their head. They will appoint internally I feel.

North ... it's nice to see that other teams fall into the topping up trap and look silly for doing so. It's such a Carlton like thing to do.

This time last week we had the number one pick in available coaches... How a week changes things in football. Obviously the sadness with Walsh... But today's game with the drug lord losing his guinea pigs with their abysmal attempt of playing a game you'd think like us they need a circuit breaker.

- Carlton
- Adelaide
- North Melbourne
- Essendon

None of the young assistant coaches may want the Essendon job if the WADA appeal is not finalised by October. They may have to get Neil Craig to take over or beg Bomber Thompson to come back.

No one could have expected Walsh's death, but Hardwick easily could have been ready to be sacked any minute had they had a bad month, as I pointed out weeks ago.

So we had our pick of the field, now after 6 weeks sitting around doing SFA, another club is searching for a coach.

Well done Carlton, it's all getting so predictable this stuff.

Yes Essendon have some talent and have the KPPs to work with but the midfield needs work and they have possible suspensions hanging over their head. They will appoint internally I feel.

North ... it's nice to see that other teams fall into the topping up trap and look silly for doing so. It's such a Carlton like thing to do.

Yes - remember being lectured to on Big Footy by smug North supporters how an arrogant Carlton had stuffed our rebuild and how we should have followed the North blueprint !!!

No one could have expected Walsh's death, but Hardwick easily could have been ready to be sacked any minute had they had a bad month, as I pointed out weeks ago.

So we had our pick of the field, now after 6 weeks sitting around doing SFA, another club is searching for a coach.

At the end of the day, I only want someone who thinks he can get the job done. I don't want a coach to settle for Carlton.

So they've done sweet FA in 6 weeks?
I'm guessing if they found someone after a week, you would be on here complaining they weren't thorough enough.

We can't find someone immediately anyway.. Most top choices are assistants anyway and probably in contending teams (dew, Bolton, Lloyd, kirk) whose clubs will kindly ask to wait till their campaigns are over till we poach. We won't officially have a coach till October regardless...

So they've done sweet FA in 6 weeks?
I'm guessing if they found someone after a week, you would be on here complaining they weren't thorough enough.
Carlton is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they appoint Barker it'll be "I bet they didn't do their due diligence and the committee was just for show!"
If they don't appoint Barker it'll be "How could they do that to him?!"
If they appoint someone quickly it'll be "They've sat on their fat arses doing nothing!"
If they take a while to announce a new coach it'll be "Good one, we had to settle for whoever was left!"

Grrrr....

OK then Nostradamus, what's your prediction?

When do we plan to appoint our new coach, because, and as ODN said without being insensitive, we should probably get on the front foot and land the best available now before others swoop. I'd imagine Adelaid would be a more tantalising prospect for a first time senior coach than Carlton as well.
Adelaide would have to abide by the same agreements we made with the AFL and the AFLCA in not approaching any of the assistants or out of work senior coaches until the end of the season... if they are allowed to appoint a head coach before the end of the season, then Carlton have been screwed over massively!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back