Our record in Day games v Night games 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Was just thinking about this and realised our record in night games (genuine night +7.00pm start) this season is horrible. I think it's 2-6. And one of those wins was in Perth when the game would've started probably about 5.30pm local time.

I didn't realise we had such a horrible record in night games this season.

As much as we'd all prefer to play Essendon/Richmond on the Saturday Night - there are advantages to playing in the day time - namely our record in day games this season which is 11-2 by my count. Granted some of them are twilight games but they're not proper night games. For whatever reason our record in night games this season is abysmal. Maybe our players are conditioned better for and prefer playing day games? Probably not but it's a very telling contrast. After considering this I'd prefer to play Essendon on the Sunday.

This does make some sense. There is a pattern to night games vs the day games but ultimately it isn't going to change all finals that we will play from now until the grand final would all be night. And there is no way we won't get the Saturday night match so lets hope the record changes come September :)

my point is guys that it's a massive discrepancy. 2-8 in night games is bottom 4 stuff and it clearly tells that the team has produced far better, far more consistent form during the day. our night form is quite clearly horrible.

and we haven't won a saturday night game all season - 0-3 I believe.

just think it's worth noting that our night form is quite clearly horrible.

We have also lost 100% of games where the opposition scores more than us.

Sorry mate, no hard feelings but this is a s**t thread. We beat Richmond, Hawthorn, Freo and WC (I think) at night and most of our games are played under a roof with a yellow footy. So unless you are suggesting the players don't like playing past their bed time, I don't think this theory has legs.

Fair point.

I suppose if we're scheduled for Saturday night, we should just forfeit and save us the embarrassment.
Dude why are you being a smart arse dick for no reason?
Thats two posts you've produced in this thread just being a smart arse knob both times.

All i did was point out that stastically we have a poor record in night games this season. In fact not poor but a terrible record. 2 wins from 10 games is in ridiculous contrast to day/twilight games. For whateve reason we have been considerably better in day games this season.

W
We have also lost 100% of games where the opposition scores more than us.

Sorry mate, no hard feelings but this is a s**t thread. We beat Richmond, Hawthorn, Freo and WC (I think) at night and most of our games are played under a roof with a yellow footy. So unless you are suggesting the players don't like playing past their bed time, I don't think this theory has legs.
we didnt beat richmond or west coast at night. We are 2 and 8 in night games.
It is a ridiculously poor record and we have struggled at night. Nothing to do with bed time just about when out players produce their best and with the exception of 2 games we have been absolutely horrible in night matches this season and its a concern. I dont think you can dismiss 2 wins from 10 games.

W
we didnt beat richmond or west coast at night. We are 2 and 8 in night games.
It is a ridiculously poor record and we have struggled at night. Nothing to do with bed time just about when out players produce their best and with the exception of 2 games we have been absolutely horrible in night matches this season and its a concern. I dont think you can dismiss 2 wins from 10 games.
The Richmond game started at 7.10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude why are you being a smart arse dick for no reason?
Thats two posts you've produced in this thread just being a smart arse knob both times.

All i did was point out that stastically we have a poor record in night games this season. In fact not poor but a terrible record. 2 wins from 10 games is in ridiculous contrast to day/twilight games. For whateve reason we have been considerably better in day games this season.

Get your statistics right before you get on your high horse.

We've lost 8 games all season. Two of them started at 1PM.

As for those six night games we lost: One was the Round 1 disaster that we all agree we didn't show up for, Two were against Geelong who are a top 4 team and another 2 were at grounds we've never played/failed to win for the best part of the decade.

Talk about drawing a long bow.

If we lose to Essendon in 2 weeks, I sure as hell won't accept it's because we played with a yellow footy.

Both losses against geelong were by more than 20 points i believe.
And from memory i think 7 of geelongs wins have been by less than 10 points or something this season. Both our performances against them were below par. Granted they're a good side and we played competitive football at times but we still didnt produce anything near our best.

Both losses against geelong were by more than 20 points i believe.
And from memory i think 7 of geelongs wins have been by less than 10 points or something this season. Both our performances against them were below par. Granted they're a good side and we played competitive football at times but we still didnt produce anything near our best.

And I don't believe the time of game was the problem.

We performed worse against Collingwood and Gold Coast which were both in the early afternoon. Our last 3 wins were all early afternoon.

I'm assuming it's a statistical anomaly, but it could make one wonder whether there could be something behind it like training load/schedule or something.

It will take a lot more than that to make me stop wishing for a Saturday night game though.

It would be a Saturday night, so he might not have to be in bed, but certainly in his bedroom.

He'll be reading the footy Record under a doona with a torch during Brad's halftime rev up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back