Our special little cousins to the west

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Leigh Tudor cares enough for his own sanity and that of his family and does not get lured to the WB. The stress levels will be at an all time high and in three years he'll end up knifed in the back and washed out. Leave NM only for bigger and better Leigh.

Tudor will leave, and only leave when he has marked his territory with a flag.

Did you know that Footscray have never actually won a premiership cup?
Lol'd.

I'm getting all nostalgic today, but I miss teffy's acerbic wit at times like these too :(

Was thinking the same thing...one to be wary of...had a few run ins with him on the main board over the years.

Surprised he hasn't dropped in here.
He has, he was here a few days ago in the Ballarat thread l believe.

Normally I wouldn't be averse to giving the Dogs a bit of moral support but they effectively knifed us in the back.

So **** 'em.

Them or the AFL?

I don't propose to know the answer, but I don't have an issue with them using Ballarat considering we have Tassie but it seems how that arose is questionable.

I'd like to see the poorer clubs to grow and thrive, including the Bullies over say, the Pies or * and in almost any big club v small club neutral match I always barrack for the smaller club.

Them or the AFL?

I don't propose to know the answer but I don't have an issue with them using Ballarat considering we have Tassie.

I'd like the small clubs to grow and thrive, including the Bullies over say, the Pies or *.
With the AFL. They were having talks with Ballarat city council while we were still engaged in the area.

I used to think we were kind of brothers in arms. But the one brief, shining moment when their club was travelling better onfield than ours brought out so much hideous fan behaviour (at games, not just on here) that I have no warm feeling left. Now they are in North's dust, the Dogs and Melbourne get AFL help North could never have dreamed of, and it's kind of sick making with their assumed superiority so fresh in our minds.
Yeah, I hate the campaigners.

With the AFL. They were having talks with Ballarat city council while we were still engaged in the area.

Fair enough. Is that so wrong though? I mean, it was quite likely we wouldn't continue there anyway so I'm guessing that's why it was seen by both WB and the AFL as a future growth area for a struggling club.

Agree if it was "secret" and so on though in itself is inappropriate considering our previous work there.

Fair enough. Is that so wrong though? I mean, it was quite likely we wouldn't continue there anyway so I'm guessing that's why it was seen by both WB and the AFL as a future growth area for a struggling club.

Agree if it was "secret" and so on though in itself is inappropriate considering our previous work there.
It is clear that North were hoping to continue in both Ballarat and Hobart. That the AFL and the Dogs were working to replace our presence in the background is pretty dodgy.

Footscray's pathetic attempts to mimic us in the hope of somehow stealing some of the stardust that has allowed us to still be successful onfield despite being small financially is plain embarrassing.

Bad enough they sooked to the AFL and got Ballarat.

Now they are deep into Leigh Tudor.

They will probably call Tom Boyd "Duck" next.

Memo losers: you will never escape your fate as the competition's ugly ducklings.

Every Footscray supporters alive today will go to their grave never having seen the club win a flag. As will their children and their children's children.

You do not "own the West". You can barely scrape together 30k members.

You are a joke club with no captain and no coach.

At least be s**t with dignity and don't embarrass yourselves by attempting to copy a club that has actual brains, guts and multiple premierships.

Now get us our burger and no, we don't want fries with it.

gladje4.gif

bf9.gif

MDtE7.gif

2821349df658d7aede726ed0a91716c7.gif

tumblr_m8718gBJWN1qgpx0l.gif

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to think we were kind of brothers in arms. But the one brief, shining moment when their club was travelling better onfield than ours brought out so much hideous fan behaviour (at games, not just on here) that I have no warm feeling left. Now they are in North's dust, the Dogs and Melbourne get AFL help North could never have dreamed of, and it's kind of sick making with their assumed superiority so fresh in our minds.
Even their success in the noughties was okay. Two words: Barry Hall. Sorry, two more: Rodney Eade.

I hope Scott Thompson knocks over Tom Boyd while he is doing up his shoelaces and Boyd falls into a strange catatonic state from which he never emerges.
That pays them more respect than they deserve really. A look from Scotty and Jaryd Grant would fall over. Only one deserving of any niggle is Liam Picken.

Be that as it may, my sense is that Ballarat was really something that Eugene was championing and once he departed we've not really paid it anywhere near the same attention as he did, especially with the failure of the ALP to win government and invest in the area. A club can not serve two masters?!

Be that as it may, my sense is that Ballarat was really something that Eugene was championing and once he departed we've not really paid it anywhere near the same attention as he did, especially with the failure of the ALP to win government and invest in the area. A club can not serve two masters?!
It can try.

It can try.
Well, I for one have been a supporter of the twin secondary market approach.

I'm just wondering whether, in practice, it results in taking one's eye off the ball. Or, at worst, allowing it to be taken away, due to a focus on, and belief in the other.

Well, I for one have been a supporter of the twin secondary market approach.

I'm just wondering whether, in practice, it results in taking one's eye off the ball. Or, at worst, allowing it to be taken away, due to a focus on, and belief in the other.
Indeed. I am sure that the AFL would have allowed us to continue in that market if Hobart wasn't up and running. As it stands they have the Dogs to worry about with their massive debt, falling membership, poor on field performance and narcissistic approach to running a footy club and an opportunity to set them up with, what is for all intents and purposes, a potential secondary market. They may get some short term support out of Ballarat (much like us) but unless an AFL standard stadium gets built it will be no more than a fishing expedition for memberships and low grade sponsorships.

They may get some short term support out of Ballarat (much like us) but unless an AFL standard stadium gets built it will be no more than a fishing expedition for memberships and low grade sponsorships.
And for this very reason I'm tempted to think we 'let it go' and the AFL's involvement helps us to save face. Seriously, funky's comments were hardly "fightin' words" imo.

And for this very reason I'm tempted to think we 'let it go' and the AFL's involvement helps us to save face. Seriously, funky's comments were hardly "fightin' words" imo.
Potentially. I can certainly see that rationale.

I do love how they have positioned themselves as 'the team of the west'.

I never realised that Footscray covered the entire western region of Victoria.

I also like the way that despite the west of Melbourne having the fastest population growth in Australia, Footscray membership has fallen the last few years.

ManOfClay ... any comments on this? Or is it a mere statistical anomaly?

Only one deserving of any niggle is Liam Picken.

Picken is good at the sly effort when Boomer isn't looking.

Faced with a real contest he's kind of ... s**t.

It is clear that North were hoping to continue in both Ballarat and Hobart. That the AFL and the Dogs were working to replace our presence in the background is pretty dodgy.

There are only so many regions available. Don't think we have a right to make them all our own so it makes sense to give Ballarat to the WB, especially as it seems a likely dead end growth wise anyway but better than nothing.

How they went about it though seems pretty ordinary, not unusual for the AFL though.

Love how "Western" and "Greater Western" now have this emerging rivalry.
There's the whole 'wild west', 'out west' Western feel to it.

history-gunfights-cowboy-cowboys-shoot-draw-36534257_low.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back