Paul Stewart - SANFL List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he deserved his own thread after his form this year. Had a great year in defence in 2010. Missed 75% of last year with injury. His form this year has been good to very good playing as a Mr Fixit. His form especially up forward has been excellent. 5 goals tonight, 4 goals in the Showdown. The winner against North Melbourne. He's really coming along well as that lead up half forward who can play through the midfield.

Keep Going Stewy!

257671.jpg

I have said since that North game - Run Stewie Run. He has the pace and skill level and hardness to hurt sides.

My great fear is that he is like Barossa red wines, has great even years but rubbish odd years because he gets serious injuries. We need him to string together 3 or 4 good years where he plays 85%+ games and doesn't get bad injuries. Was the most improved in 2010 and is pushing Broady for the title in 2012.

amazing

he was a great forward, so we played him in defence. Just as he was proving himself in defence we played him in the middle. he was lost in the middle and ended up with a season ending injury keeping him out of the side (probably saving his career).

he comes back and plays well in defence and superb as a forward (where he should have always played).

mmmmm.....pettigrew was and always should have been a forward. salter was is always should have been a forward. etc etc.

maybe we should recruit players to play their role rather than do a "chad cornes" to everyone. that said chad was a midfielder who we played forward (which didn't work) but then played really well as an attacking defender ( but was surrounded by a group of defenders who knew what they were doing in the back 50).

The beauty of Stewart is that he plays medium-tall, in terms of standing his ground under a high ball, plucking the odd overhead mark and staying strong on the lead, but just as importantly, a lot of his goals are coming from crumbing spillages or running onto loose balls. His accuracy both on the run, on the snap and from set-shots is also of high caliber. He's rejuvenated what is otherwise an impotent forward line in the absence of Gray and Schulz.

I'd love to clone him and have one down either end of the ground. He was a very solid two way defender and used to be a great matchup for exactly the kind of forward he is.

Also privately chuffed we finally have a gun #14 again. Perfect excuse to get my favourite number on my guernsey.

He has really stepped into his own this year and been a integral part of our team, I can't wait to see Schulz back in the forward line with him!

I'd say he's actually making Westhoff look more and more like excess baggage.

Agree, Westhoff may have to re-invent himself as I see the forward line in 2013 having little room for him. Could he make it as a mobile tall defender? I just wish we could put a bit of Trengoves desire and aggression into Westhoff.

Off to the gym I think, if he is going to be a significant player in 2013 and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to think he was a defender. Now he looks like a forward. And he has a great set shot. You can't let that go to waste.
He reminds me of the Eagles' former utility Adam Hunter. He could play forward and back often with great success. What I've liked about Stewart's move forward is that apart from Schulz, he's the only forward who has shown the nous and ability to run into space forcing the football to be kicked into that space

Been a revelation this year for us. Was always a good player but has stepped up big time this year. Like him as a forward. He's got a strong body, can take a grab and is a good kick at goal.

Been a revelation this year for us. Was always a good player but has stepped up big time this year. Like him as a forward. He's got a strong body, can take a grab and is a good kick at goal.
I liked him as a tall, mobile, quick, strong marking HFF/Wing with good finishing and disposal which was what he was when he was drafted........so Port tried to turn him into a Backman.

Does have a good set shot, but I still think I like him better in defence. He's got great defensive pressure, and really we need the kicking efficiency down back to help us move the ball out of there. Stewy reads the play well and finds the gaps where he can either lead through or get a handball over the top of the defenders. However, Schulzy needs a fair bit of space to lead, hence I'm not sure how effective both of them will be together in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back