Paul Stewart - SANFL List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

quality depth player who would be in 16-25 of player picked. offers a position all over the ground. loves the club. just a great serviceable footballer.
Hopefully a consistent year playing as a forward pocket tall decoy alongside Schulz and neade playing at their feet

When he's fit he always seems to win a spot. Ill back the guy. Nice kick in general play and for goal. Can win his own ball and use it. One of our best utilities when he's fit.

I disagree.

Yeah WTF?!
Its like some of you guys think the team will stay in a vacuum where every player keeps their form from the 2013 finals series.

The guy was carrying injuries all 2013, a year where nearly every player was able to get involved more due too better spreading and ball-movement. People have already forgot somehow that he was one of the VERY FEW quality players we had in 2012 (I wanted him in defense and up forward).

If all players from the finals stay fit and in form Stewart will still get back in, and watch the Melborne game before he hurts his knee, he is not slow

Yeah WTF?!
Its like some of you guys think the team will stay in a vacuum where every player keeps their form from the 2013 finals series.

The guy was carrying injuries all 2013, a year where nearly every player was able to get involved more due too better spreading and ball-movement. People have already forgot somehow that he was one of the VERY FEW quality players we had in 2012 (I wanted him in defense and up forward).

If all players from the finals stay fit and in form Stewart will still get back in, and watch the Melborne game before he hurts his knee, he is not slow

The emphasis is on P Stew to earn his place in the side back. I don't think he will start in the 22, and he'll need to be knocking down the door come injury or lack of form to other players.

Out of those who played in the Geelong final, I can only see Colquhoun, Logan Moore and Young being displaced. P Stew doesn't play small, so he wouldn't replace Colquhoun or Logan (I think we will see Impey come in for Colquhoun and Logan will be in the 22), and he would be behind Moore and Young in terms of being a midfield rotation (I see both Moore and Young starting in the 22).

Paul Stewart is a long way from my best 18 after last season.

I also feel his versatility's being greatly overrated in this thread. Apart from the occasional 5 minute cameo Stewart isn't really good enough to play back six or though the midfield. As a forward he's had a few stellar games, mostly against Melbourne, but they're the exception not the norm.

No doubt he'll play a fair bit of AFL football next year but at 27 he cant afford to be pigeon holed as depth option. Big year 2014 for Paul Stewart.

Paul Stewart is a long way from my best 18 after last season.

I also feel his versatility's being greatly overrated in this thread. Apart from the occasional 5 minute cameo Stewart isn't really good enough to play back six or though the midfield. As a forward he's had a few stellar games, mostly against Melbourne, but they're the exception not the norm.

No doubt he'll play a fair bit of AFL football next year but at 27 he cant afford to be pigeon holed as depth option. Big year 2014 for Paul Stewart.

I agree with your post for the most part, but the bolded bit shows a bit of a short memory. P Stew has played some very good consistent footy in defence in the past whenever he's been given an extended chance there (the first month and a half or so of 2012, for example). I think he's been a victim of his versatility TBH. If we never played him anywhere but defence, he probably would have maintained his form and never would have lost his spot. The match-winner he kicked against Norf might have done more harm to his career than good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your post for the most part, but the bolded bit shows a bit of a short memory. P Stew has played some very good consistent footy in defence in the past whenever he's been given an extended chance there (the first month and a half or so of 2012, for example). I think he's been a victim of his versatility TBH. If we never played him anywhere but defence, he probably would have maintained his form and never would have lost his spot. The match-winner he kicked against Norf might have done more harm to his career than good.

I'm with you that in the past Paul Stewart has played some solid football off half back but that was in a time when we were a very ordinary team. When I look at our current squad he's a fair way back in the medium defender depth chart.

Not to say he can't play well on a back flank, just that his only real chance of playing regular football at Port Adelaide is as a forward.

Well the even numbered year has started and Stewart has started in good form. Was our only decent forward on Sunday and one of our best players over 4 quarters.

I still like him as a running half back linking up with the midfield. There was talk in the other thread of who he'd squeeze out of the side, I'd say it'd be out of Pittard & O'Shea with Cam having a few more credits in the bank.

He's at that age in his career where if he stays fit & it all clicks he'd be a very handy player in the best 22, similar to Ricky Henderson for the Crows but hopefully better.

Last edited:
Stewart leaves Pittard for dead if we are looking for run off the half back flank. And he doesn't * up as often as Pittard does.

Where...not what. It's a term I haven't heard of on footy field until recently

Basketball. Swingman = can play both guard and forward, often interchangeably from play-to-play.

In AFL parlance it is seeing increasing use as a basic term for a tall who is merely capable of playing back or forward on a given day (Paul Stewart, Nathan Bock, Luke McPharlin), rather than true 'swingmen' who switch ends freely and often as situations arise (Justin Westhoff, Chad Cornes, Adam Hunter).

Stewart leaves Pittard for dead if we are looking for run off the half back flank. And he doesn't **** up as often as Pittard does.

Pittard has always been better further up the ground although it's looking like Stewart will play predominately up forward going by his community camp comments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back