Paul Stewart - SANFL List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Very underrated player even by port supporters imo. Was unlucky with early injuries at the start of last year that he just couldn't break in to such a competitive and strong side. Love how he puts his body on the line, think his highlights package might surprise a few. Would love to see him break into the side this year such a versatile player, but who goes out for him o_O God I love having these dilemmas now

Have always rated Paul Stewart. The man deserves more praise then he gets. Is a great utility. Hopefully he has an injury free year as he will surprise alot of people.

I can see him playing a defensive role on Andrew Walker round 1
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but wasn't Monfries our defensive forward last season? He did a great role in both making the opposition quarterback accountable and hurting them the other way, and I would like to see him continuing that role. His midfield minutes on Sunday don't really mean anything IMO, that was to have a mature body in there amongst the youngsters.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but wasn't Monfries our defensive forward last season? He did a great role in both making the opposition quarterback accountable and hurting them the other way, and I would like to see him continuing that role. His midfield minutes on Sunday don't really mean anything IMO, that was to have a mature body in there amongst the youngsters.

Nice Avi :eek:

agree on stewart. ive always thought he is a better player than he has shown. another player that could really step up and be a vital part of the team

What does anyone think about the idea of trying him out as a lead-up full forward if Butcher spuds it up again this year?

Maybe Stewart's career has suffered by being too versatile. Maybe a narrower, designated role is what he needs.

He looked good on the weekend with very limited opportunities, against a decent quality direct opponent.

What does anyone think about the idea of trying him out as a lead-up full forward if Butcher spuds it up again this year?

Maybe Stewart's career has suffered by being too versatile. Maybe a narrower, designated role is what he needs.

He looked good on the weekend with very limited opportunities, against a decent quality direct opponent.
I think most people would agree that we have 4 traditional KPFs (Schulz, Butcher, Shaw, Harvey; Westhoff is more valuable in other places). If you account for Schulz being in the team already, we're left with Butcher, Shaw or Harvey to be the second KPF. If Butcher doesn't step up this year, I think Stewart is our next best option, even though he's lacking a few inches/KGs.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but wasn't Monfries our defensive forward last season? .....
I was slapped down for calling him a forward relatively early last year. Perhaps justifiably at that time as the person who questioned my knowledge was able to link to an article saying he was now considered a mid-fielder. I was embarrassed for Gus when he was forced forward in the second Showdown. :D

OK, thought it a good time to bump this thread.

With Paul being ommitted against Fremantle and coming up as a restricted or unrestricted free agent at the end of this year, I am a little concerned we may lose him to another club. A lot of clubs are trolling through our list I would suspect at the moment, given the relative health of it and working out who they can poach (ie what we did with White is no doubt happening to us!).

I for one would loathe to lose him. Not only a good footballer, but one of the characters that binds a club together. Port really need to sign him soon if we have any intention of keeping him and please dont insult him by offering a one year deal.

What do others think?

With Paul being ommitted against Fremantle and coming up as a restricted or unrestricted free agent at the end of this year, I am a little concerned we may lose him to another club. A lot of clubs are trolling through our list I would suspect at the moment, given the relative health of it and working out who they can poach (ie what we did with White is no doubt happening to us!).

I for one would loathe to lose him. Not only a good footballer, but one of the characters that binds a club together. Port really need to sign him soon if we have any intention of keeping him and please dont insult him by offering a one year deal.

What do others think?

Will not go anywhere, 27 i think next year and isnt going to change the fortunes of a side like Melbourne or Carlton (like a Prime Midfielder Vince) he will hang about here at Port for another two or three years and play in a Premiership for us. An unassuming role, but forever endeered by the Port Adelaide faithful.

if we are going to lose anyone, Newton, Moore, Young, Neade and Mitchell are the hot ones we may lose for more oportuinity.

Stewie has been a bit disappointing especially as he makes the even years the ones where he plays best and usually is uninjured. I think he missed a couple of weeks on the eve of the season with an injury.

He is a classic 23-30 depth player and especially as he is a true utility. I reckon in full health he sneaks in to our 22. Hope he sticks around as he is free to go in October, and will probably consider it if he thinks he can get guaranteed game time elsewhere.

Thought he deserved his own thread after his form this year. Had a great year in defence in 2010. Missed 75% of last year with injury. His form this year has been good to very good playing as a Mr Fixit. His form especially up forward has been excellent. 5 goals tonight, 4 goals in the Showdown. The winner against North Melbourne. He's really coming along well as that lead up half forward who can play through the midfield.

Keep Going Stewy!

257671.jpg

He'll work his way back into the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's in our best 22 and am disappointed he's missed out. Just needs a chance to cement a spot. Maybe he can't sustain 4 qtrs, can't see any other reason. He is a quality disposer of the ball. But I trust the coaches, they see these guys train every day

He needs and is probably good enough to be given a permanent role and time to make it his own. One of my few criticisms of Ken has been his handling of Stewart the last year and a bit

I agree that he is at risk of walking at the end of the season. I could see him going to a club like the Bulldogs where he would have more opportunity to play.

He needs and is probably good enough to be given a permanent role and time to make it his own. One of my few criticisms of Ken has been his handling of Stewart the last year and a bit

Stewart has had a pretty shocking run of short injuries since Ken's taken over.
Corked Knee, Strained back, Broken Wrist throughout 2013, yet he still managed 12 games.
Calf strain in the last preseason game against the Saints, that kept him out for 3 weeks.

I'm not sure how else Ken was supposed to handle Stewart??

Last edited:

What do others think?
Dont like this bump because he has been dropped. I dont know where this boy sits in our plans. In Ken i trust. Maybe Ken is putting the broom through again. Ken wants something.......and he aint going to take any prisnors with him. Sink or swim.

I think he's in our best 22 and am disappointed he's missed out. Just needs a chance to cement a spot. Maybe he can't sustain 4 qtrs, can't see any other reason. He is a quality disposer of the ball. But I trust the coaches, they see these guys train every day
Realistically, he's not in our best team. And i'm glad Ken is calling the tough shots. You cant win premierships being mates with favourites. Primus made us look like dicks, because he was pals with such and such. I want Ken to be ruthless with this mob of boys. Ruthless. You want to play footy on the big stage.........you ******* earn it !!!

Plenty of time for Stewart and hope he doesn't feel the need to move on at the end of the year for more opportunity. Still wouldn't be surprised at a late change - Dom out, Stewy in. That said I don't think he's the right replacement for Jonas 'classic' shutdown role.

I could see him leaving at the end of the year and it would probably be a win win.

He gets to a club where he gets more opportunities, more security and probably more coin.

We get to keep regenerating our list to ensure a long time at the top. The consistently good clubs take advantage of the over inflated values of their fringe players when they are on top to keep themselves there.

If he wants to stay we keep him. If he wants to go we find a win win.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

A couple of years back he was genuine first 22, but a few injuries - mainly the result of his lack of regard for his own safety - have just knocked him back to the depth list. The emergence of a couple of similar sized tall runners hasn't helped.

I hope he sticks around and fights his way back into the 22.

Still believe he is genuine 22! Could replace Dom easily as a backman, who can run through the mid.
Also believe while we dont have another tall to go with Schulz he could have been a perfect tall forward to make the freo backs more accountable!

Will not go anywhere, 27 i think next year and isnt going to change the fortunes of a side like Melbourne or Carlton (like a Prime Midfielder Vince) he will hang about here at Port for another two or three years and play in a Premiership for us. An unassuming role, but forever endeered by the Port Adelaide faithful.

if we are going to lose anyone, Newton, Moore, Young, Neade and Mitchell are the hot ones we may lose for more oportuinity.
Neades signed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back