Paul Stewart - SANFL List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, why immediately fill the one hole that we currently have in our otherwise premiership ready side with a player who is already AFL quality and still has a decade of football ahead, when we can just draft somebody who won't be ready for a few years and will be behind Butcher, Shaw and Harvey in development anyway? We don't need a 4th young key forward, we need a second AFL ready key forward.

I know every club seems to have an obsession with going through the draft, but I would hope Port supporters especially would know better. Schulz, Ebert, Monfries, Polec, Hombsch and White say hi. It doesn't matter how you get quality players, what matters is that you get them. If anything you're better off trading them in at a young age than drafting them, because if you trade them in then you get to skip the first 2/3 years of development where most players (especially KPP's) aren't much good and get right to the good bits.
Especially if you really win out and get players in that 20-23 y age group, as we have done with Polec, Ebert and Hombsch.
Tomlinson would be a very handy pick. What I'm not yet sure about with him though is whether he can play as the main go-to forward, as opposed to the roaming, lead-up CHF. He does seem to be a very good contested and pack mark, but can he do it regularly close to goal?

We lack KPF depth because all our KPF's are kids. Drafting more kids won't fix that. What is it with Bigfooty and not understanding that? Not just you RossFC, this misconception seems to plague this whole site.

I'm just saying that I can see improvement from Harvey and if Redden is fit then there won't be a problem.

Paul Stewart will be back very soon ....
Because?
He's playing decent football with the Magpies but his age (27 in July) and injury history weigh against him. He was probably worth a couple of goals a game in the past but speedier goal-kicking players like Mitchell, Polec and White offer us more. I like him, I'm happy to be slapped down on this.

Especially if you really win out and get players in that 20-23 y age group, as we have done with Polec, Ebert and Hombsch.
Tomlinson would be a very handy pick. What I'm not yet sure about with him though is whether he can play as the main go-to forward, as opposed to the roaming, lead-up CHF. He does seem to be a very good contested and pack mark, but can he do it regularly close to goal?

Not really. Tomlinson is your athletic KP player that has the agility to even play wing. He runs all day, can lead and takes marks that way. He isnt a gorilla, bomb it long to, KPF.

Tomlinson would be super get cause he fits the age and athlete profile of our list.

Time for a bump. I knew Paul Stewart was back at Port in a player welfare role, but didn't know he was also coaching.

Time for a bump. I knew Paul Stewart was back at Port in a player welfare role, but didn't know he was also coaching.

Sammy Gray tagging Stewy haha.

Same goes for rucks. If we're gonna replace Renouf it needs to be with somebody who will be AFL ready by next year at the latest, for example Lycett. We can't draft an 18 year old ruck or an 18 year old KPF and expect them to boost our depth in the short term.

Prophetic post from me 4 years ago when this thread was last posted in.

Prophetic post from me 4 years ago when this thread was last posted in.
lol just seen me hyping up Redden, Harvey, Shaw and Lobbe. That worked out well.

The RossFC kiss of death! It's probably a good thing Nankervis never came here.
Oh crap maybe me being a buddy of Dougal Howard in 2018 (and now 2019) is why he couldn't mark a thing and cost us a game against Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh crap maybe me being a buddy of Dougal Howard in 2018 (and now 2019) is why he couldn't mark a thing and cost us a game against Hawthorn.

Trade him for Karl Amon.

Not sure if it is just me and the way I see things but there seems to be a definite movement toward appointing ex Port players to coaching and support roles at Alberton. First it was Brett Mongomery and Jarrad Schofield, then Dean Brogan and now Paul Stewart joins the list. These guys go with Chad Cornes and Matthew Lokan. On the other hand we also have three ex Crow players on our support staff list but I guess you try to get the best available.

Maybe the next Senior Coach will come from the ex Port player group ?

I've been assigned Karl Amon. Ross, do it for all of us.

a6e054aeb659d35818aa41112e35d2a4.gif

(I did get assigned Peter Ladhams though but I’m not including him in my sig, so if you want him then be my guest)

I assume this is a bit of the Stuie Cochrane role, mainly player welfare stuff, but some minor coaching role thrown in. Talking about Stuie has anyone heard how he is progressing with his health issues?

Not sure if it is just me and the way I see things but there seems to be a definite movement toward appointing ex Port players to coaching and support roles at Alberton. First it was Brett Mongomery and Jarrad Schofield, then Dean Brogan and now Paul Stewart joins the list. These guys go with Chad Cornes and Matthew Lokan. On the other hand we also have three ex Crow players on our support staff list but I guess you try to get the best available.

Maybe the next Senior Coach will come from the ex Port player group ?
Primus back for a second crack?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back