Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Mathis wants new contract; Eagles decline
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140327_Mathis_wants_new_contract__Eagles_decline.html

ORLANDO - In February, Evan Mathis' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, went to the Eagles and asked for a new contract for his client, sources close to the situation told The Inquirer on Wednesday.

The Eagles said they wouldn't tear up Mathis' five-year, $25 million contract two years in and suggested to Rosenhaus that he shop the all-pro guard to other teams. The agent did so at the NFL combine in Indianapolis and in the month since, but very few teams have been interested in acquiring the 32-year-old, the sources said.

The Eagles would want a third- or fourth-round draft pick for Mathis, an NFL source said.

The situation seemed to come to a critical mass on Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings, when the story was first reported, but the end result will likely have Mathis staying with the Eagles for at least the 2014 season.

Imagine Mathis would be very hard to replace in the short term so hopefully he remains an Iggle for a while yet.

My reaction waking up to the news DJax is no longer in the NFC East and that Riley Cooper is now the Eagles #1 WR.

TVJaCX2.gif

The s**t I copped when I said D Jax wasn't worth the money...
He isnt. Good call.

Eagles to draft a big WR and improve as an offense

Released him.

Just... wow. Most deflated I've felt as an Eagles fan. He's long been a favourite player of mine. The thought that a recovering Maclin, and Riley 'I dropped the playoffs' Cooper can fill that void is laughable. Jackson is a game changer, and a game winner. Paying a fifth for an over 30 year old receiving back won't cut it either. Going to frighten D's with his ability to run the streak is he?

We're now ending free agency substantially weaker than we began it. Chip seems like a great coach with the X and Os but his personel choices have been questionable so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comments from another site -

"His history of being affiliated with Crips is well known, and probably why he slipped to the 2nd round when he was drafted. He made a freaking music video with Snoop Dogg not too long ago, a former Crip. This was no surprise to the Eagles, Howie, Chip, or any fan who actually pays attention. Every single locker room in the NFL has people who are either former, current, or affiliated
gang members, and everyone in the league knows it."

" There are pics posted on instagram of DJax w his bud Shakir, who is a known Crip and was associated w 2 murders in the last 4 years. This is still just the tip of the iceberg and more will come out, in the post-Hernandez NFL you just can't have guys who are linked to gangs on the roster. I suspect his career is about to go down the toilet. Supposedly these guys have a bigger influence on him the last couple of years, probably right around the time he signed his big $ deal, Iverson was eventually screwed by his 'crew' looks like Jackson just joined those ranks.

The eagles tried to keep this under wraps, but it was never a media concocted story as some have alleged."

"I could make a post a mile long of current NFL players with prison records. I could even make a list of NFL players who served time, and then we're resigned to teams. Rapists, Murderers, Thieves... Ray Rice just beat his girlfriend unconscious last month. Yet we're releasing DeSean Jackson because it "appears" he has gang connections.

Remember how quick Ray Lewis got let go after he was involved in a murder case? Oh wait, that's right, he didn't and went on to win a Super Bowl.

Or remember how fast the Steelers let Rapistberger go after they had photographical evidence that he raped two girls at a party... oh wait, that's right, he's still on the team.

But you know what, let's release our #1 WR in his prime and take a hit to our cap for nothing in return. We wouldn't want to risk him corrupting our poor innocent roster with his gang connections. Maybe next time, DeSean should go to a Snoop Dogg concert, and shout that "He's Going To Fight Every Cracker Here, Bro!" then he would've received a raise and a new contract.

Signing Mark Sanchez, and releasing DeSean is really making it hard to be a fan of this team. My blood is absolutely boiling at this point."

Last edited:
This is starting to sound more than a little racist.

Look, I'm not so sure.

If it was in fact racism, the players would be stomping their feet a lot more about this. They're strangely quiet about it all. Like "lets not even acknowledge DJax" type quiet.

I think both sides are to blame, and there's a stupidity bug in Philadelphia (my latest idea is that Kelly is targetting Mike Evans in May, hence the cut.), but I can assure you it's not Racism on Howie or Chip's part.

Look, I don't give a crap if its overt or not, but they just cut a young black guy for hanging out with the 'wrong sort' of people, despite him having never even been accused of a crime. What the **** is that?
Well, just in case you hadn't heard, we had to get confirmation according to the media from the LAPD that DJax ISN'T involved in some murders... Because, you know, that's what gang members do...

Can't see why Philly fans are talking s**t and defending the teams stance on this with what we DO know. STO seems to be the only level headed one. This is money, pure and simple, thinking otherwise is all ESPN, media run bullshit.

Well, just in case you hadn't heard, we had to get confirmation according to the media from the LAPD that DJax ISN'T involved in some murders... Because, you know, that's what gang members do...

Can't see why Philly fans are talking s**t and defending the teams stance on this with what we DO know. STO seems to be the only level headed one. This is money, pure and simple, thinking otherwise is all ESPN, media run bullshit.
'discussion'?? lol, you are simply baiting & doing it poorly:oops:
How is that baiting :rolleyes:

Get over yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back