Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

"Esava is just a bit of a beast and I'm excited to see him and Aliir go to work down there. It keeps me up at night knowing what those two could do for us, it's pretty exciting. I've thought about it a few times – if they get going they'll be pretty hard to beat."

LOL ... Had to laugh at that. I Love Zac, he is just an absolute footy-head

Surely you look at Ablett Jr and wonder if its worth it. Some may disagree here but imo he totally wasted a large portion of his prime playing in games no-one watched or cared about (yeah I know he won a Brownlow).
I'm pretty sure GWS have proved it's better to target a few strong players instead of the Gold Coast strategy of throwing all your money at one superstar.

I'm pretty sure GWS have proved it's better to target a few strong players instead of the Gold Coast strategy of throwing all your money at one superstar.

Absolutely. And at least Gold Coast had location going for it. I love Tassie and it is beautiful but how much appeal will it have for 20yo footy players?

Butters is the type of player that when he gets the ball the opposition midfield turns into a type of instinctual fear of how many ways he can cut you up and make you look silly.

I love his sparky chatness.

David King on SEN raised a point that a lot of us are thinking, and that is he plays like the captain. He's the guy that sparks the run on, isn't intimidated by anyone, brings others into the game, rarely wastes a forward 50 entry, kicks the important goals.

David King on SEN raised a point that a lot of us are thinking, and that is he plays like the captain. He's the guy that sparks the run on, isn't intimidated by anyone, brings others into the game, rarely wastes a forward 50 entry, kicks the important goals.
if butters signed long term like rozee, all im gonna say is the PAFC staff would have a headache on who to captain.

if butters signed long term like rozee, all im gonna say is the PAFC staff would have a headache on who to captain.
We have both Batman and the Joker on our team. One is smooth as silk, glides around the field and makes everything look like it was all part of the plan, the other thrives on chaos, lives outside the box, and can slice you apart six ways from Sunday. We're lucky we have both. You make Batman captain though. That's not to put a boundary on either of them, that's just how I like to see it at the moment.

We have both Batman and the Joker on our team. One is smooth as silk, glides around the field and makes everything look like it was all part of the plan, the other thrives on chaos, lives outside the box, and can slice you apart six ways from Sunday. We're lucky we have both. You make Batman captain though. That's not to put a boundary on either of them, that's just how I like to see it at the moment.
Butters is currently both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the game I noticed him getting into Thomson Dow before the first bounce because I was near our cheer squad so it was in my line of sight. You’d be able to see them on the right of screen if you rewatched the first bounce. I used to hate players who liked to get into it immediately after getting into starting positions, just gave me the shits. Seeing Butters do it though, you can’t help but think “that’s our little s**t starter” with a sense of pride.

I’m not sure if they were direct opponents the whole quarter but Dow only put up 1 disposal in the first term, so if they were direct opponents that’s a solid effort.

At the game I noticed him getting into Thomson Dow before the first bounce because I was near our cheer squad so it was in my line of sight. You’d be able to see them on the right of screen if you rewatched the first bounce. I used to hate players who liked to get into it immediately after getting into starting positions, just gave me the shits. Seeing Butters do it though, you can’t help but think “that’s our little s**t starter” with a sense of pride.

I’m not sure if they were direct opponents the whole quarter but Dow only put up 1 disposal in the first term, so if they were direct opponents that’s a solid effort.
I love it mate. It's refreshing to see a player switched on and up for the fight from the get go.

Stays fit and a Brownlow is definitely on the cards

10 Connor Rozee (PORT)
7 Zak Butters (PORT)
4 Kane Farrell (PORT)
4 Ryan Burton (PORT)
3 Ivan Soldo (PORT)
1 Charlie Dixon (PORT)
1 Jack Petruccelle (WCE)

Coaches votes:
10 Zak Butters (PORT)
5 Liam Baker (RICH)
4 Willem Drew (PORT)