Player Watch Pick #12 (2021) - Josh Sinn

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess not every early 1st rounder is an instant star seems to be a slower burner which in hindsight with his injury and Covid footy era problems isn’t a surprise

Watched the first quarter of the Port and Under 18’s last night, Sinn wasn’t too bad early (throughout the first quarter) not sure what we are expecting from him at this point in time?

Again, it’s going to be a slow burn, needs continuity to launch into Pre Season next year. Don’t care if he getting three kicks a game, so long as he is playing week in week out.

He has all the physical tools to be a top line player, has not played much over the last couple of years so will lack some touch and feeling for the game. This is what will make or break him as a top footballer, need to create an environment where he can recall how holes open and how his body works through traffic, how he mentally reacts when he needs to defend after multiple efforts.

Possessions and turning games on their head isn’t where Sinn is at within his development.

Maybe he played that one game on the Ball and looked good but the coaches weren’t happy with his positioning off the ball, so rather than allowing him to get comfortable with influencing games offensively from Centre we have given him an assignment at Half Back to set up defensively?

Watched the first quarter of the Port and Under 18’s last night, Sinn wasn’t too bad early (throughout the first quarter) not sure what we are expecting from him at this point in time?
Obviously he's struggled with injury, so we need to temper expectations a bit, but we can't forget he's a first round selection that we sold the farm for. We rated him hugely, and so really we should be seeing a kid that gets the ball and does damaging things, regularly. Especially at SANFL level. We shouldn't be seeing a half back flank who is a project player.

Regardless of whether he's going to make or not, I think it's pretty fair right now to say that for all the speed he has, he's certainly not showing a heck of a lot more.

We need to see him racking up 20 touches weekly and putting AFL selection pressure on.

Reminder that if we'd been able to convince him (and by convince him I mean pay him enough) to come here we could have had Jordan Dawson, Peter Ladhams and a second rounder for the price we paid for Sinn at the trade table. Jesus Christ what a failure.

Obviously he's struggled with injury, so we need to temper expectations a bit, but we can't forget he's a first round selection that we sold the farm for. We rated him hugely, and so really we should be seeing a kid that gets the ball and does damaging things, regularly. Especially at SANFL level. We shouldn't be seeing a half back flank who is a project player.

Regardless of whether he's going to make or not, I think it's pretty fair right now to say that for all the speed he has, he's certainly not showing a heck of a lot more.

We need to see him racking up 20 touches weekly and putting AFL selection pressure on.
Not sure what concern is , watching replay his pace was up and he seemed to be moving well. Role was as a outside defensive role in a very scrappy game hence not big numbers. Didn't see much off him later in game as I assume he was off resting, hopefully not injured? Slowly building.

Reminder that if we'd been able to convince him (and by convince him I mean pay him enough) to come here we could have had Jordan Dawson, Peter Ladhams and a second rounder for the price we paid for Sinn at the trade table. Jesus Christ what a failure.
Far too early to sh!t the bed. He is every chance to be a better player than Dawson and your argument falsely doesn’t include salary cap. Get Dawson and keep Ladhams and we don’t have enough coin for JHF- I don’t know this as a fact, but this is an illustration of the other side of the equation you have completely ignored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far too early to sh!t the bed. He is every chance to be a better player than Dawson and your argument falsely doesn’t include salary cap. Get Dawson and keep Ladhams and we don’t have enough coin for JHF- I don’t know this as a fact, but this is an illustration of the other side of the equation you have completely ignored.
Statistically very few players are going to turn out better than Dawson is now, and those numbers are even smaller for Sinn considering the slow and injury interrupted start to his career. At this stage that's about as convincing an argument as 'Chayce Jones could end up better than Butters'. Sure he could, but it's extremely unlikely.

About a fortnight ago you had this to say about a few other youngsters:

"Butters, Duursma and Georgiades started off strongly but have stagnated...Dylan Williams looks a bust."

So I'll take your opinion on Sinn with a grain of salt (even though that sounds very biblical). You are harsh on young guys especially those who have had injury issues.

Warren Tredrea didn’t play much in ‘97 and did his knee in ‘98 didn’t set the world on fire in ‘99, Schutzy would have traded our Greatest AFL era player to Collingwood.

Not sure what concern is , watching replay his pace was up and he seemed to be moving well. Role was as a outside defensive role in a very scrappy game hence not big numbers. Didn't see much off him later in game as I assume he was off resting, hopefully not injured? Slowly building.
He's still fading out of games, albeit less each week.

Just building back from injury.

Someone mentioned Dawson. At the equivalent stage of his career he'd played 1 game. He didn't play his 2nd game until Round 19 of his 3rd season. He's turned out alright.

He's still fading out of games, albeit less each week.

Just building back from injury.
Thing I did notice was how big the Australian Academy players were in general, height and build. Even against the more mature SANFL players they looked developed for 17 yr olds. Harley Reid is powerhouse already , could play AFL tomorrow.

About a fortnight ago you had this to say about a few other youngsters:

So I'll take your opinion on Sinn with a grain of salt (even though that sounds very biblical). You are harsh on young guys especially those who have had injury issues.
Lol. Great work hindsight hero. Find me somebody who would have disagreed with any of that about a fortnight ago.

He is every chance to be a better player than Dawson
Geez, this is just so far off being true it's not funny. Right now we're hoping he might make the squad as a winger or half back, and hopefully he makes the grade, but he's currently not tracking in the same universe as Dawson.

JD and his family are mad keen Crows tragics. I'm not sure in what multi-verse he would ever have come here - no matter what we paid him.

I think the issue is, where he is at is way off where you would expect someone to be given what we gave up for him.
On balance, the signs aren't amazing but he does need some time on the park.

Warren Tredrea didn’t play much in ‘97 and did his knee in ‘98 didn’t set the world on fire in ‘99, Schutzy would have traded our Greatest AFL era player to Collingwood.
lol Tredrea in his 2nd AFL year as a key forward had kicked bags of 6, 8 and 4, all whilst being universally touted as an outstanding talent. Could not be a worse and more ignorant metaphor.

None of that applies to Sinn.

It is not a stretch, is is also not a write-off, nor is it an attack, to acknowledge the iron clad fact, that right now Sinn has played one really good half Vs Adel in Rnd 1 of this years SANFL since being here at Port. We are working on some pre draft hype at the moment, and even worse that hype comes from his underage year. I hope Sinn comes on, I haven't given up hope as we DESPERATELY need him to come on, but right now the signs/trends are pointing in the wrong direction and it's ok to acknowledge that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back