Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Pick #57 (2023) - Will Lorenz

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably our best player on the weekend again. 24 touches, 7 tackles 3 clearances. Think he’s quickly gonna jump ahead of Sinn in the queue as he’s a ferocious tackler and better disposer of the ball. Would love to see him get a taste as the sub this week.
I’ve been as critical as any of Sinn, but now that he’s fit and seems to have some pace back in his game, I’d like him to have a run at playing HB in our AFL side, especially with Jones not making the most of his chances, Williams’ indifferent form and Burton’s inconsistency of effort.

Lorenz is a different type of player to Sinn and will be used as a wingman and perhaps in the longterm a centre-square midfielder. I like what he’s showing so far. Just a shame it’s hard to get a better read of his performances because of the rubbish he’s playing alongside of.

They are different players- correct. But not in a way that makes a meaningful difference in regards to their place in the team. I didn’t see sinn making any defensive actions in the game against Geelong suggesting he is there for his line breaking and distribution abilities. Lorenz has better distribution based on all metrics seen so far. The only thing sinn has his measure in is pace and age. On the other hand- Lorenz has the ability to win his own footy- something sinn has not shown once yet in either afl or SANFL. Our team is already full of people with elite pace- JHF, Rozee, Butters, even Faz. I think Lorenz skill set better fits than sinn’s. Both play an outside game. But Lorenz has the ability to do both (especially as he develops).
Lorenz against North also often distributed going out of defence too, showing it’s a skill he can do and he didn’t fluff a single kick.

They are different players- correct. But not in a way that makes a meaningful difference in regards to their place in the team. I didn’t see sinn making any defensive actions in the game against Geelong suggesting he is there for his line breaking and distribution abilities. Lorenz has better distribution based on all metrics seen so far. The only thing sinn has his measure in is pace and age. On the other hand- Lorenz has the ability to win his own footy- something sinn has not shown once yet in either afl or SANFL. Our team is already full of people with elite pace- JHF, Rozee, Butters, even Faz. I think Lorenz skill set better fits than sinn’s. Both play an outside game. But Lorenz has the ability to do both (especially as he develops).
Lorenz against North also often distributed going out of defence too, showing it’s a skill he can do and he didn’t fluff a single kick.
Lorenz was drafted as a wingman and is playing as a wingman in the SANFL. Sinn is playing half back for us. Bringing in a skinny teenage fourth round pick like Lorenz and throwing him into the team out of position is just setting him up to fail.

Lorenz was drafted as a wingman and is playing as a wingman in the SANFL. Sinn is playing half back for us. Bringing in a skinny teenage fourth round pick like Lorenz and throwing him into the team out of position is just setting him up to fail.
To be fair Jed was a midfielder and we are playing him as a “pressure” forward and that’s working out just fine

But seriously agree for reasons only Ken understands we are obsessed with playing blokes out of position would be a nice change to see a player so well in a position in the 2s play said position in the AFL side

we are obsessed with playing blokes out of position would be a nice change to see a player so well in a position in the 2s play said position in the AFL side
these blokes we are playing ‘out of position’ taken at pick 30-50-100 in the draft, so have flaws to their game. Playing a new role may allow for natural growth and development in areas lacking in their game, or like Mead, we are that happy with what he has shown on the track we need to get games into him - even if that means he plays out of position.

The ones that play well in the twos and force their way into teams into that role usually are blokes brought into the club early to mid 20’s or Drafted in the top 20, so the very best talents in said draft pool. Even then, those Kids tend to skip the twos developmental years anyway and are fast tracked into the ones.

I’m all for throwing the magnets around to develop talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back