Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Jordon Sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd also love to know why the club spent the last however many years shitting on Sam Hayes but has apparently suddenly fallen in love with 'Sam Hayes but not as good a tap ruck' instead. I can understand Soldo, but Sweet doesn't do anything that Hayes couldn't do.
Lol. I know you hate Hinkley, but Sweet is a million times better than Hayes.

Lol. I know you hate Hinkley, but Sweet is a million times better than Hayes.
In what way?

He's a less skilled tap ruckman. He doesn't do anything more around the ground. He's probably fitter than Hayes, but he certainly isn't more talented.

We use to play Lycett and Ladhams regularly until the Lad was traded to Sydney.

If the coaching staff doesn't play both Soldo and Sweet, then Dixon has to be an instant in for back up ruck duties along with the tall forward stuff.

Ladhams was quite versatile but an awful tap ruck.

He was basically a winger or half forward.

No disrespect to Hayes, who was a very good tap ruckman, but from what he has shown in the pre-season matchplay, Sweet is much better in the contest immediately after the tap and offers more around the ground. His work to protect and open up space for his smalls is going to be important. He also applies more pressure and makes more tackles than Hayes did. Hayes was talented but his physiology dictated that he was never able to be agile and fit enough to be a force at the top level for enough minutes in a game. Hayes was given enough time to develop his fitness and had some outstanding high performance coaches but he was ultimately genetically unsuited to compete at the elite level. This is not Hayes' fault or Hinkley's fault, its a function of his biology.

Sweet took 3 marks (1 contested) in 40% game time against Fremantle. Hayes averaged 1.5 marks (0.2 contested) a game over his entire career.

Sweet had 3 tackles in 40% game time. Hayes averaged 1.6 tackles over his entire career.

I’m quietly confident that whatever Jordon lacks as a tap ruckman he will make up in every other area of the ground.

I’m not convinced on either soldo or sweet yet but I think both are an improvement on Hayes, who was massively overrated on here. Even lycett was better than Hayes.

I’d like to see a bit more from both sweet and soldo though, watching them this pre season I’ve wondered if we really missed out with Grundy. Early days though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

along with every afl club and coach, sanfl club and coach, wafl club and coach and every VFL club and coach..except you
Which state league clubs did Sam apply for and get rejected from?

Chances are he's not playing state league footy because he doesn't want to. If I'd had the last 5 years that he's had I wouldn't be too motivated to continue my professional football career for peanuts on the dollar either.

Which state league clubs did Sam apply for and get rejected from?

Chances are he's not playing state league footy because he doesn't want to. If I'd had the last 5 years that he's had I wouldn't be too motivated to continue my professional football career for peanuts on the dollar either.
If he was any good he’d be playing at a decent level, he ain’t and hence he’s playing at a low level..his choice or not he isn’t good enough

It is weird in the post-apocalyptic Sam Hayes world.

In the JedHead thread, I basically got straw manned by someone who thought I was in love with Smokin' Sammy Hayes.

I hope Sammy is smoking like a bushfire and playing half a game at ruck and getting paid well enough for two packs a day.

Thought Sweet and Soldo complimented each other nicely over last two trials. Sweet provided some physicality agains ROB and Darcy when Soldo struggled yet Soldo offered more in general play. Both are B graders at best but it might work playing both.

Sweet took 3 marks (1 contested) in 40% game time against Fremantle. Hayes averaged 1.5 marks (0.2 contested) a game over his entire career.

Sweet had 3 tackles in 40% game time. Hayes averaged 1.6 tackles over his entire career.

I’m quietly confident that whatever Jordon lacks as a tap ruckman he will make up in every other area of the ground.

You’re comparing 26yr old Jordan sweet in 1 preseason match to a 21/22 yr old Sam Hayes.

If he was any good he’d be playing at a decent level, he ain’t and hence he’s playing at a low level..his choice or not he isn’t good enough

Harley Bennell isn’t playing afl either. Bowen Lockwood didn’t play much afl.

There’s more factors to playing afl than just being good equals a great career

In Hayes case there was a very talented player there that didn’t eventuate and it’s easy to see terrible development on ports behalf and a lack of drive on Hayes behalf as obvious reasons.

Its not quite the cherry picking of cherry picking but you've given it a good roost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back