Prediction Pick 14/Draft Night Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's become trendy to bag Mathieson obviously.

Would be interested to hear from those who consider him a massive risk how often they've seen him play.

As I'm only going off what a few friends in recruiting have said and a handful of games that I've seen, I'd be interested in how this evaluation of Matho as a bust has come about.
Youd have to ask the 18 clubs and their 100 odd recruitment staff.

Having watched him play both this year and last year I definitely disagree with this. To me he moves with really good energy in the packs and I've seen him burst through the middle of the ground at a speed that someone who was "treacle slow" wouldn't be able to.

Quigley also told me last night that he recorded a 3.09 second 20m sprint at the combine and while obviously not fast by any means, it's also well short of "treacle slow", which I would consider to be anyone who is posting around the 3.20sec mark, or above.

According to Kristian Pisano's mock draft on here in 2013, Matt Crouch recorded a 3.25 sec 20m sprint (and was "below average in the endurance events"), Ben Lennon a 3.18, and going by what he wrote about Patrick Cripps ("...basically testing poorly in all categories. I was not surprised by the sprint times particularly but I thought his engine was a bit better than a 13.1 beep and a bottom 11% 3km time trial") he tested worse across the board than Matho did (including in the beep test and 3km time trial) and was probably also around the 3.20 mark or above for the 20m sprint, like Lennon and Crouch.

It's a pity he didn't specifically list Bontempelli's sprint times, because his comment that he "plays faster than he tests" probably indicates that he too recorded a slower 20m sprint time than Matho did. Even Eli Templeton, who I consider pretty quick, was only 0.03 seconds faster (3.06) than what Quigley said Matho was this year. http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...r-rankings-progressive.1040150/#post-30856696

I also read somewhere on here the other day that Steel Sidebottom recorded a 20m sprint time of over 3.20 seconds in his draft year, so Matho was apparently considerably quicker than him as well and then there's last year's combine results, where Jack Lonie was listed at 3.15, Toby McLean 3.17, Liam Duggan 3.10, Bailey Dale 3.16 and Alex Neal-Bullen 3.12. So they too were also all slower than the supposedly "treacle slow" Mathieson. I would expect someone like Michael Barlow to have tested above 3.20 when he was Matho's age and possibly still does.

Having watched them all play I'd also be very happy to bet that Matho would be quicker than in particular Seb Ross and probably also Luke Dunstan.

The fact that the likes of Matt Crouch and Patrick Cripps tested so poorly for both speed and endurance, yet have been able to come straight into AFL footy and get so much of the ball (Crouch has already had 14 games (out of the 21 he's played) of between 22 and 28 possessions and Cripps just won Carlton's B&F!) suggests that there is no reason we need to be freaking out about Rhys's combine testing. Like the other two, he might not go well on an athletics track, but he does go well on a footy field and that is what we'd be drafting him for.

According to Pisano's 2012 mock, Jackson Macrae scored only a 12.1 in his beep and yet he then went on to be the youngest ever to have a 40 possession game at VFL/AFL level, less than two years later.

I also take heart from Mick Turner's comment in today's article on Rhys in the HS, where he said that his beep test at the combine was a significant improvement on what he had done previously, so hopefully that improvement continues (if we draft him), like the reported significant improvement in his kicking. He sounds like the type who will just work on whatever he needs to work on until it's at the point he needs it it to be.

It was also interesting to see Turner say that at U16 level Rhys was playing at CHF, which might explain why he looked so comfortable overhead in the recent highlights package of him and why he is meant to be a good option when resting forward.
Long winded post on one single player the club was never interested in. Was it worth it?
Amazing how easily people get sucked into herd think based on a BS rumour. Oh he barracked for the Saints when he was a kid - lets convince ourselves he is the 2nd coming of the messiah!

Youd have to ask the 18 clubs and their 100 odd recruitment staff.
Love your work.

Look forward to your assessment of everyone else's Draft predictions & comparing to yours oh Oracle.

Matho is on an AFL list now...what number is was taken at is now 100% irrelevant.

I look forward to him making experts like yourself look very silly.

Long winded post on one single player the club was never interested in. Was it worth it?
Amazing how easily people get sucked into herd think based on a BS rumour. Oh he barracked for the Saints when he was a kid - lets convince ourselves he is the 2nd coming of the messiah!
And just to add, I stated earlier in the week that I thought the Matho rumour was a red herring & our focus was elsewhere

My first experience of draft night while on big footy and I am surprised by how it seems to affect some posters. We need a BF term for the special kind of crazy that afflicts some.

My first experience of draft night while on big footy and I am surprised by how it seems to affect some posters. We need a BF term for the special kind of crazy that afflicts some.
Usually it goes a lot better than it did Tuesday night. 2012-14 draft nights were basically one big celebration but for whatever reason this Mathieson stuff got way out of hand, I was shocked at what it turned into.

I think some are a bit full of themselves.

Unfortunately the conversation got disjointed so I viewed ignored posts and then noticed it was because or sonny waters.

The poster is just sad. Having a go at me I see because I supposed we would select Mathieson conviently ignoring I had been on the Gresham bandwagon for weeks:rolleyes:

Fool is back on ignore. There are reasons these clowns get to be on ignore

Underrated observation.

Add to that the crazed obsession with any drop of purported inside information...

Like bored housewives and new idea's latest issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underrated observation.

Add to that the crazed obsession with any drop of purported inside information...

Like bored housewives and new idea's latest issue.
Whos the saints supporters in the draft next year. 1.01 odds they are the noat popular regardless of how they actually play

Well it may not have been when the 1st academy player was bid on but the technology did make Bevo look like a goose :D
Which is hard work when you've got a mo like that!

Boss.

players i want in order @14
1. Balic
2. Oliver
3. Clarke
4. Partington
5. Milera

sleeper in the draft: O'Kearney
best player in 5 years: Balic
Look what I called

Wow seriously everyone needs to let the Mathieson thing go! I didn't think he was a good pick but the draft is done, he's on a list and so is everyone else we were speculating for our pick. The only thing relevant to this board and this post in particular is how much of a gun Gresham will turn into!

Check the thighs on Gresham, a runner, speed off one step, just wait and see.

I didnt have Matho on my list and could never see the ooh ahh about him but i know nothing.

But i did pick Jade at 14 ;)
He has a great lick of acceleration, his top speed isn't incredible but the side step he has and the way he arches his back to squeeze past a tackler is very impressive. Also got a great goal sense and I'm guessing will develop into a more skilled, if slightly less bulky Dion Prestia.

He has a great lick of acceleration, his top speed isn't incredible but the side step he has and the way he arches his back to squeeze past a tackler is very impressive. Also got a great goal sense and I'm guessing will develop into a more skilled, if slightly less bulky Dion Prestia.
Having only viewed his highlights it's hard to get past the likeness to Brent Harvey. Do people see him differently? Perhaps a bit more inside? (Leaving aside personality jibes)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back