Universal Love Pies pushing for VFL curtain raisers at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes...must happen...now that will improve the game day experience.
It's also great for the players, as a decent crowd can watch the last quarter of the VFL.
VFL players get to play on the MCG.
It's all good. Although less Vic Park games is the only downside.

Yes...must happen...now that will improve the game day experience.
It's also great for the players, as a decent crowd can watch the last quarter of the VFL.
VFL players get to play on the MCG.
It's all good. Although less Vic Park games is the only downside.
I can remember getting to Vic Park at around 9:30 in the am to catch the U18's, was a full on day of footy, footy, footy :thumbsu:

I can remember getting to Vic Park at around 9:30 in the am to catch the U18's, was a full on day of footy, footy, footy :thumbsu:
Too bloody cold for me. I used to rock up at halftime/or during 3rd quarter of the VFL.
Some dim sims & a few beers in the social club, footy record in hand to identify the reserves players.

Too bloody cold for me. I used to rock up at halftime/or during 3rd quarter of the VFL.
Some dim sims & a few beers in the social club, footy record in hand to identify the reserves players.
Lol Lynchy my old man went to his first game as a 6 y.o. and only ever missed a handful due to injury or illness. He LIVED through that marvelous era of the '20's and '30's when we were such a dominant force. For him it was like going to church, every game at every level, during the season, practice matches, training - you name it and he was there.

And so, once I was old enough was I.

Lol Lynchy my old man went to his first game as a 6 y.o. and only ever missed a handful due to injury or illness. He LIVED through that marvelous era of the '20's and '30's when we were such a dominant force. For him it was like going to church, every game at every level, during the season, practice matches, training - you name it and he was there.

Yeah we had a similar story. Grandparents went through the early part of the century then parents during the 30's-70's then us!
We even used to make it a bigger day by going to the trots at the show grounds after some Collingwood afternoons! So you would have been out watching sport for 18 hours or so on those days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a statue of your old man in 'the outer' at Vic Park! What a legend!

I'd say the VFL would jump at this, it would bring a whole new wave of fans.

I've only been to 2 VFL games in my life, but if this were to happen It would be so much easier to see alot more of them. Probably lots of people in the same boat as me.

Should be a statue of your old man in 'the outer' at Vic Park! What a legend!
Lynchy m8 my old man wasn't all that different to hordes of other Pies 'barrackers' in those early days, it was so tribal and such a central part in people's lives.

Even when I first started much of the tribalism and fervour remained but over the decades - the last 15 or so years especially - the game has be sanitised, and I don't just mean out on the field.

On the training track and the medical rooms, in the boardroom and yes even in the pubs with the supporters the game has morphed from what it was into some sort of a social entertainment vehicle for some.

Not so back in my old man's days, one word out of place about a bloke's team and you would be gumming your food for a week ;)

Maybe against the unaligned teams so their players get a chance to play on the G.

I wouldn't like too see to many games taken from Vic Park.

I'm for this as well.

Provided, of course, that the VFL extends the home and away season to give us a few more Vic Park games to make up for the (I presume) home VFL games we would be transferring to the MCG.

Let's not throw away the good thing we have going already at Victoria Park, people...

Last edited:
I'm for this as well.

Provided, of course, that the VFL extends the home and away season gives us a few more Vic Park games to make up for the (I presume) home VFL games we would be transferring to the MCG.

Let's not throw away the good thing we have going already at Victoria Park, people...
Seems we'd only be talking about 2-3 games at the MCG though, so we'd still have 6-7 games at Victoria Park.

I'd be willing to give up two home games at Vic Park if it meant we had 2 double headers at the MCG.

Seems we'd only be talking about 2-3 games at the MCG though, so we'd still have 6-7 games at Victoria Park.

I'd be willing to give up two home games at Vic Park if it meant we had 2 double headers at the MCG.

That might be okay, but I'd rather we just start the season earlier, so that we have no net loss of Vic Park games. In effect, we'd be getting a couple of extra home games into our column, then diverting them to the MCG.

Besides, extending the season would allow for either fewer byes, or a better spread of them (remember how we had two byes this year in the space of 4 weeks?), so there's a good policy case for a longer season in any event...

I'm so loving our games at Vic Park the kast few years that I'd miss them, but transferring a couple to the G before a Sat afternoon game - who'd have thought?

Dont want to be a spoiler but - is there an issue with chopping up the playing surface before a senior game? Or not relevant any more, with modern practices?

I'm so loving our games at Vic Park the kast few years that I'd miss them, but transferring a couple to the G before a Sat afternoon game - who'd have thought?

Dont want to be a spoiler but - is there an issue with chopping up the playing surface before a senior game? Or not relevant any more, with modern practices?
You'd think they could just have Vic Park on standby, and if the forecast is for rain (plenty of it) then the game can be switched back to Vic Park anyway.

Would be good for most, might entice me to watch a game. But I gotta feel for those carrying a nip glass, you'll be smashed :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back