Ponting (95-12) vs Clarke (04-14)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ponting's peak was incredible.

I think in terms of modern day Australian players (say, post the Chappel Era), Ponting is in a class of his own, followed by a group of Steve Waugh, Clarke and Border. I guess you could include Hayden maybe, I'd have to look into his stats more.

Ponting's peak was incredible.

I think in terms of modern day Australian players (say, post the Chappel Era), Ponting is in a class of his own, followed by a group of Steve Waugh, Clarke and Border. I guess you could include Hayden maybe, I'd have to look into his stats more.
I rate Ponting slightly higher than Waugh but I think Tugga sits comfortably alongside Punter.

From Ashes 1993 to Ashes 2001 (8.5 years) Waugh averaged 61 across 87 tests.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/8192.html?class=1;spanmax1=26 Sep 2001;spanmin1=26 Apr 1993;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Ponting's peak was from the 1999 Ashes through to the end of the end of the 2006/07 Ashes (7.5 years). Averaged 65 across 86 tests.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/7133.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=default;spanmax1=30 Jan 2007;spanmin1=08 May 1999;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Both just sensational.

Funnily enough their careers tracked remarkably similar.
- Debuted young
- Dropped and in and out of the team for a while.
- Cemented their spots in mid 20's and before long where in the best few batsmen in the world
- Peak for about 8 years,, averaging > 60
- Down period for a while (SW about 18 months, Ponting about 3 years)
- A few tons at the end then retirement

Yeah Ponting's post peak phase went on a bit longer than Waugh's.

It's hard to gauge how the selectors were with him. They publicly backed him, but giving up (losing?) the captaincy, moving to number 4 weren't great signs. Best player of the short ball in the helmet era. Would have been great to see him against the Windies quicks of the 70's and 80's.

Not so sure about Ponting.
I get the feel that the selectors were getting pretty edgy about him and weren't too unhappy about his retirement.

Hussey on the other hand...
You watched his Australian story? He definately went out himself

I rate Ponting slightly higher than Waugh but I think Tugga sits comfortably alongside Punter.

Funnily enough their careers tracked remarkably similar.
- Debuted young
- Dropped and in and out of the team for a while.
- Cemented their spots in mid 20's and before long where in the best few batsmen in the world
- Peak for about 8 years,, averaging > 60
- Down period for a while (SW about 18 months, Ponting about 3 years)
- A few tons at the end then retirement

Punters peak was higher. He was bradman esk in 2003-2006. Waugh was never as good as Ponting at his peak.

Punters peak was higher. He was bradman esk in 2003-2006. Waugh was never as good as Ponting at his peak.
Yeah I'd agree Ponting had him covered but there's not a whole lot in it.

Interstingly Waugh's best four consecutive calendar years (1993, 94, 95 and 96) yielded an average of 80, which is higher than Ponting's. 72 over 2003 to 2006. But played more tests in those periods (46 to 32) so it's harder to keep that form after over more tests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greg Chappell or Steve Waugh for mine.

It's a pretty much picked XI outside of the openers for mine.

Lillee and McGrath two standout quicks. Warne and O'Reilly the standout spinners. Just about everyone would go with the first three, with some debate on the final bowling spot.

There is a number of openers - Morris, Simpson, Trumper, Lawry, Woodfull, Ponsford, Hayden and probably a couple of others - who are all on about an equal standing. Very hard to separate them.

Greg Chappell or Steve Waugh for mine.

It's a pretty much picked XI outside of the openers for mine.

Lillee and McGrath two standout quicks. Warne and O'Reilly the standout spinners. Just about everyone would go with the first three, with some debate on the final bowling spot.

There is a number of openers - Morris, Simpson, Trumper, Lawry, Woodfull, Ponsford, Hayden and probably a couple of others - who are all on about an equal standing. Very hard to separate them.

Border?

I think Davidson would be in contention. Great record, useful bat and also a lefty.

"If Ponting was Indian he would have had a better average than Bradman"

A quote I heard when Ponting was really in his prime. If Ponting played most of his games in the batting friendly conditions of Asian, he wouldve been easily in the top 3 batsmen of all time not debated to being there. Clarke i would take as captain, Ponting I would take as a batsman.

That's a moronic statement.

Ponting was suited perfectly to facing fast bowling - probably the best player of pace I have seen (ie. late 90's onwards). Once he was in, his technique against them was impeccable and was almost impossible to bowl to.

By no means was he a mug against the spinners, but his record in Asia was definitely his weakness if he had one.

Border?

I think Davidson would be in contention. Great record, useful bat and also a lefty.
Border would definitely be in contention, but I'd just have Waugh or Chappel ahead.

And yeah Davidson would be my next in line. He and Lindwall and two very handy bowlers to have just on the peripheral.

I just think Ponting happened to be Harbhajan's bunny.

I like to see his record in India when Singh wasn't playing

v India without Harby

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...volve_type=none;template=results;type=batting

Averaged 81. 105 at home, 29 in India.
-------------------------------------------------------

In all games v India

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...orderby=default;template=results;type=batting

Averaged 54. 86 at home, 26 in India.
-------------------------------------------------------

In games v Harbhajan

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...er_involve=7139;template=results;type=batting

Averaged 30. 43 at home, 25 in India.

Dismissed by Harby 10 times - 6 times in single figures, and once for 11.

Who would make our best XI?

Bradman at 3.
Ponting at 4.

I'd have Gilchrist at 6 and Miller at 7 so who comes in at number 5?

Greg Chappell for mine. The great thing about Ponting is that he pushes out that whinging old prick Neil "back in my day" Harvey. I remember reading a quote from him in the early 2000s that that current team was half as good as the 1948 team. I'm not sure which one was better but the early 2000s Test side would have to at least be rated nearly equal to the Invincibles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back