Club History Port Adelaide - A Living History

Remove this Banner Ad

The atmosphere at AO when we are on a roll is like it was at AO in the 60's.
Back then Streamers, torn up paper, big and I mean big pompons all behind big banners.
How big well lets not exaggerate but maybe 20 to 30 meters in length with words such as
mighty magnificent magpies etc. Heady days just like now.
Full marks to the club for never giving up on the push to get back to AO (Mark Haysman et al)
March29th last year (1st showdown at the revamped AO) was a defining moment in SA football
The beginning of the end of the corporates assumed monopoly and presumed ownership of footy here.
That sea of flags and our people in our colours with KT wearing a giant grin addressing the throng was really special
We were back in town. They knew it and we knew that they were watching. Sliding in their pants

Here here..so glad to have been there last March..loved it..bought the panorama..I met a well dressed, elderly lady at the AO before the game last March, she had been a Port supporter much, much longer than I..I saw my 1st game at Alberton in 1954. I would love to have met up with that elderly lady after that match last March just to see the smile on her face would have been wonderful. Yes, We Are Port Adelaide..Alright.

That was the rule back then. If you threw the ball out in front of you - a pseduo bounce - and it didnt come back but you were tackled it was a holding the man without the ball free. Bartlett was a master at doing it and racked up free after free. They finally changed the law in 1980 that said its either a throw - incorrect disposal these days - or if it was a legitimate bounce you are deemed to be in possesion of it because a bounce is all about maintaining possession for another 15 metres.

Yes..the rule was like that when I began umpiring in the late 70's.It was the 1 umpire system when I started..and I think distances in the rule book were in Yards not meters back then.

Here here..so glad to have been there last March..loved it..bought the panorama..I met a well dressed, elderly lady at the AO before the game last March, she had been a Port supporter much, much longer than I..I saw my 1st game at Alberton in 1954. I would love to have met up with that elderly lady after that match last March just to see the smile on her face would have been wonderful. Yes, We Are Port Adelaide..Alright.

I think it was Chad who kicked the last goal of that game (not certain). Whoever kicked it, it landed in the crowd 2 rows back of me.
I instinctively kissed a stranger next to me and she hugged me in return. When the final siren went I wept.
Enough to make a grown man cry?
You bloody bet it was.

This is a great thread:D
PAFC I love you and all who believe

Hear hear

Its a pity the club didnt start doing this from about 25 years ago when they could have got Bobby Quinn and a few of the pre WWII boys down on vision as well as all those guys who won flag after flag in the 1950's and into the 1960's and then the 1970's boys as well. I hope the club gets this museum idea up soon so it can ask for memorabilia from our fans which would include old home movies, including super 8 film and video tape of our great legends both in their playing day as well as interviews post career. Once some of these oldies pass away this footage could be lost for ever as the kids throw out stuff.
I second the museum idea. I have some Super8 footage I took in 1971 featuring a Sunday morning training session/team photo shoot, plus a few of the boys playing water volleyball in a pool near Alberton Oval, which they often frequented after training. Would love to see what others have.

I second the museum idea. I have some Super8 footage I took in 1971 featuring a Sunday morning training session/team photo shoot, plus a few of the boys playing water volleyball in a pool near Alberton Oval, which they often frequented after training. Would love to see what others have.

User name and post ='s beauty

The second installment ie the 1965 GF has been posted

1965: Port Adelaide's last flag at the Adelaide Oval
THE Adelaide Oval is the site of 20 grand Port Adelaide triumphs; grand final victories that have been instantly written into the club's folklore.

But one victory - in fact Port Adelaide's last at the ground - almost didn't happen. The 1965 premiership brought to a close Port Adelaide's golden age - a fifteen-year period that reaped 10 flags from 15 seasons.

Some of the biggest names of South Australian, indeed Australian football were trained and blooded during this period. Names like Geof Motley - the nine-time premiership player and former captain coach of the club; Jeff Potter - a four-time best and fairest with the club; Jack Cahill, South Australia's most winning football person with 14 flags as a player or coach; SA and Port Adelaide hall of famers Dave Boyd, Ted Whelan to name a few.

1965: Port Adelaide's last flag at the Adelaide Oval

If anyone at the club is reading this and is serious about our history, don't forget to go down Collinswood and really badger the ABC for their archives. They've probably cut back on their library so we'd need to send our own people down there to dig but ABC radio covered the SANFL since Fos was a lad and their TV people probably have loads of stuff in the sixties and onwards. Don't just look in the sports archives, look in the news department as well as sport; interest stories always worked their way into the 7.30 report state edition back in the day.

The other thing is, look in the archives, documents and artifacts of the other clubs. Port Adelaide had a massive impact on them. You might get some great photos, footage etc that we didn't get. Remember that for the other clubs, beating Port was the pinnacle so they would have taken care to document it when it happened.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-05-12/port-adelaide-turns-145
10 things you probably don’t know about the Port Adelaide Football Club…

145 years ago the Port Adelaide Cricket Club became the Port Adelaide Football and Cricket Club.

While the Cricket Club lasted only a couple more years, the footy club grew and grew to eventually help founder the SA Football Association (now the SANFL) and eventually join the AFL.

We celebrate Port Adelaide's 145th birthday with 10 facts about the club you probably didn't know...

10 things you probably don’t know about the Port Adelaide Football Club…

145 years ago the Port Adelaide Cricket Club became the Port Adelaide Football and Cricket Club.

While the Cricket Club lasted only a couple more years, the footy club grew and grew to eventually help founder the SA Football Association (now the SANFL) and eventually join the AFL.

We celebrate Port Adelaide's 145th birthday with 10 facts about the club you probably didn't know...

I knew all that.

I knew all that.

Yeah, they were pretty standard facts.

I was hoping for something like,

"After his first day at Alberton, Fos Williams caught the tram to Semaphore and stepped off into the path of an oncoming automobile, which in those days were called "shittrolleys" due to the docking ships being pronounced wrong by Danish sailors with lisps and they would often carjack unsuspecting drivers and demand they be taken for a Copenhagen Ice Cream which in those days was called Capital of Denmark "Ice Cream" to remind them of home. Anyway Fos did a backflip back onto the tram and thoroughly shaken, decided to go home instead. Sliding doors or what?!"

I've met a lot of people who don't know the piping shrike and white backed magpie are the same bird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, they were pretty standard facts.

I was hoping for something like,

"After his first day at Alberton, Fos Williams caught the tram to Semaphore and stepped off into the path of an oncoming automobile, which in those days were called "shittrolleys" due to the docking ships being pronounced wrong by Danish sailors with lisps and they would often carjack unsuspecting drivers and demand they be taken for a Copenhagen Ice Cream which in those days was called Capital of Denmark "Ice Cream" to remind them of home. Anyway Fos did a backflip back onto the tram and thoroughly shaken, decided to go home instead. Sliding doors or what?!"

I would have just made s**t up.

Everyone that was there in 1870 prove me wrong.

I think it was Chad who kicked the last goal of that game (not certain). Whoever kicked it, it landed in the crowd 2 rows back of me.
I instinctively kissed a stranger next to me and she hugged me in return. When the final siren went I wept.
Enough to make a grown man cry?
You bloody bet it was.

This is a great thread:D
PAFC I love you and all who believe

I'd like to think that it was that nice elderly lady you spontaneously embraced and kissed..if it wasn't I bet at the Final Siren she would have embraced someone where ever she was.. my wife & I also hugged and kissed and everyone around us were shaking hands, hugging and back slapping...unbridled joy was everywhere...AWESOME!! PORT ADELAIDE!! WHAT A WIN !! Yep a great thread Byrons Firen.

one mor
Yes..the rule was like that when I began umpiring in the late 70's.It was the 1 umpire system when I started..and I think distances in the rule book were in Yards not meters back then.

One more thing, I seem to recall, If I gave a player a treble penalty = 50 yard (meters) the player had to be reported.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back