Preview Port Adelaide Vs Richmond, First Elimination Final - Do Or Die

Remove this Banner Ad

Banner submissions close at 1900 tonight!:D
76647_f78c910b1d9d4aa1738c777f2a9606ca.jpg

76660_9cd94278763b16919439a21b6c6bd470.png

Dual winners! well done to Stephen cRowe and Janus and thanks to everyone else who considered doing one but decided it was too hard!o_O

Who: Port Adelaide vs Richmond
When: Sunday September 7th 2.50pm CST
Where: Adelaide Oval
Tickets: I've got mine! On sale Monday Sept 1st from 9am to members, from 1pm to non-members.
Ticketek 132849, www.ticketek.com.au, or mobile app (this was the fastest and easiest method)

Teams: Port may revert to the round 22 team, swapping Impey for O'Shea, but reported no injury concerns from the trip to Fremantle, so I expect that Ken has settled on his best 23 now and Impey only plays against an opposition who presents a match-up problem. Richmond also reported no injuries from their trip to ANZ Stadium, but may bring in Dan Jackson and Ty Vickery if forgiven.
Form: Port are in their best form for the year, according to Ken Hinkley, but have lost 6 of our last nine games and haven't beaten a finalist since Hawthorn in round 10. Despite this record, we appear to be playing well and have key players in form or in ascension, and have been a chance to win every game.
Richmond have stormed into eighth spot out of nowhere, using all of their nine lives in coming from 3-10 to finish with 12 wins and edge out the Eagles and Crows for the finals. However, their wins have been mostly against lower sides; St Kilda twice, Brisbane, West Coast, GWS, and Adelaide all finished outside the eight, and wins against Essendon and Port came when those teams were out of form or in disarray through injury. However, it was a meritorious win against a cruising Sydney that confirmed their position, and they bring confidence and an attacking style to a venue that they have never lost at:rolleyes:

Port's defence has been a rock all season long, with breakout years from Jonas and Hombsch, Pittard establishing himself as a dashing half-back and Carlile, Trengove and Broadbent enhancing their reputations. They come up against a Richmond forward line which revolves around Jack Riewoldt, with Griffiths and their resting midfielders in Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards and Miles getting amongst the goals. Bobby will get Riewoldt; he always has first crack at the main opposition forward. Trengove will take Griffiths and Maric when not giving Lobbe a chop out, Jonas may get Gordon if he is selected, and Pittard and Broadbent will watch the resting midfielders, leaving Hombsch to help out Carlile by cutting off Riewoldt's leads and following him further upfield. Riewoldt always seems to perform well against us, so stopping him is the key to restricting the Tigers to a losing score.

The midfield groups of these two teams are both classy and deep. Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Wines, Ebert, Cornes, Polec and White versus Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Grigg, Foley, Miles, Vlastuin and Ellis presents some mouth-watering duels. Cornes will tag, probably Deledio but possibly Cotchin or Martin, and Richmond are sure to pay attention to Boak and Gray at least, but don't run with a recognized tagger. Our group looks deeper and faster, with Grigg and Foley slow and inclined to burn the ball, and with Gray, Boak and Hartlett in an excellent vein of form, I believe that they will provide more forward thrust and better defensive pressure. Lobbe has been a warrior, and it will be an intriguing battle with Maric, who has been the catalyst for Richmond's revival. Lobbe's defensive intent and second efforts have been outstanding so this is where he can establish an edge over the ex-Crow.

Our forward line has been steadily increasing its output recently, and to put 14 goals over Freo's wall was a good effort. Schulz, fresh off a bag against Dawson, comes up against an All- Australian contender for full back in Rance, but doesn't require many opportunities to have a significant impact and always works hard upfield. If he can get enough of the ball inside 50, a 10 possession game from Jay will be a win. Westhoff has also been in reasonable form, and he will have Chaplin and boos following him around. How Chaplin handles the hostility will be crucial to this game - if he wimps it up then Westy will be the matchwinner, but if he rises to the atmosphere then Richmond have a chance. Morris, Batrchelor and Grimes are the Tiger's other defensive defenders and Monfries, Wingard , White and the forward mids in Gray and Hartlett have an excellent chance to dominate the forward line if the supply is clean and plentiful.

I expect Richmond's run to come to a shuddering halt at the hands of a rampant Port, in finals mode after switching off when our spot was virtually assured. We have been waiting for this moment, and in front of a record, roaring home crowd, will duel it out early before running away with it in the second half.

Port by 5 - 8 goals:D

Last edited:

We got our tickets! Sitting in Section 531 midway up instead of Section 120, so its going to be a different experience this week.

Tigers are up and about this is going to be huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't afford to waste a year we had in one game!!!

WE EXPECT TO WIN!!

Can not phuking wait!! This week is gonna be huge, soak it all in then smile and wave baby...

So happy to have been there for the first game and to be at the first final game. You can't buy that, it will be a memory I will never forget and will sit along side our 04 prelim.

I wish all the Tiger supporters who attend all the best and enjoy the Party!!!

I was in hospital when we played Richmond at Etihad. Who took dusty martin when he rested forward? Jonus? How did he go?

Richmond, especially late in the last quarter of a close match, generally leave Dusty one out in the forward 50... He is a brilliant one on one player and I reckon Jonus or Hombsch would be our best match up - please god above do not make it Pittard...

We have to play our best. The atmosphere at this game is going to be insane if we are playing well and the game is close. We've been subdued as of late but no doubt the crowd will be up and about this week, so give us a close one and we'll bring the roof down.

These campaigners are going to get absolutely flogged now. Even if it means we get a beat down the week after - I want to grind their faces into the dirt.

Last edited:
I was in hospital when we played Richmond at Etihad. Who took dusty martin when he rested forward? Jonus? How did he go?

Richmond, especially late in the last quarter of a close match, generally leave Dusty one out in the forward 50... He is a brilliant one on one player and I reckon Jonus or Hombsch would be our best match up - please god above do not make it Pittard...

Nah, Jonus didn't play that day and won't be in the side this week either. Jonas on the other hand ;)

Nah, Jonus didn't play that day and won't be in the side this week either. Jonas on the other hand ;)

Ahhhh man, not the first time I've got last names wrong. Coming from someone who regularly gets his last name misspelled by other people I should know better.

Regardless, my question stands. I think it's a really important match up to get right.

Now, where's a bloody brick wall for me to run through, I’m all fired up about this bloody guernsey situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back