2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Qualifying Final @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

"The 1998 Magpies-Double Blues SANFL grand final drew 44,838 to Football Park...", per 'SANFL finals open with a grand match-up from an old era .....'.
I was there and remember the huge crowd. Looking at the 10,000 there today I did wonder what has happened to the supporters since then. Obviously a big part of that is our fans and I won't go into all of that AFL/SANFL thing but there still have to be a lot of missing Sturt fas.

Haven't finals that aren't GFs always been fairly average in crowd size?
No sell-out here:

"The 1998 Magpies-Double Blues SANFL grand final drew 44,838 to Football Park...", per 'SANFL finals open with a grand match-up from an old era .....'.
I was there and remember the huge crowd. Looking at the 10,000 there today I did wonder what has happened to the supporters since then. Obviously a big part of that is our fans and I won't go into all of that AFL/SANFL thing but there still have to be a lot of missing Sturt fas.

Yes they love their club so much they now all just support the Cows.
I would also suggest since 1998 a large amount of the tweed jacket wearing brigade are no longer with us.

Almost a clean sweep in winning all stats.

If I understood it correctly, our defense was good in taking the ball out of the 50, but Sturt took almost all the rebounds. Is that it?

Haven't finals that aren't GFs always been fairly average in crowd size?
I doubt that since 1997 and maybe even since 1991, that there has been a 20,000+ crowd to a non Grand Final SANFL finals game. I don't know when the double header finals started but I include all of them as well.

Haven't finals that aren't GFs always been fairly average?
Possibly, I'm too, lazt to do the research. And it was televised live.
I just have in my head the older guy in front of me at the supermarket during the week who obviously knew the checkout girl, who in turn knew he was a Port supporter. When she asked him about today he said he was going to the AFL game and couldn't care less about the SANFL one. This was a guy who, even older than me, would have spent the majority of his footy-following life following the Magpies.

Comparing a grand final to an elimination final and an era where the transition of Port into the afl was only two years young.

If I understood it correctly, our defense was good in taking the ball out of the 50, but Sturt took almost all the rebounds. Is that it?
The nature of Aussie Rules (and soccer) means if all one team's players rush to defence the attackers can set up a wall behind play intercepting long kicks out of defence and sending them back in again. Schoolboy footy but it takes cool heads and hard work to slow play and set up your structure again before the umpire calls play on.

Last edited:
Scores by Quarter:

Q1
POR 4.5:29
STU 2.2:14
Q2
POR 5.2:32
STU 2.2:14
Q3
POR 1.0:6
STU 5.1:31
Q4
POR 3.4:22
STU 2.3:15

This is a POWER's performance, wasn't it?

Q1 had too many behinds.
Q3 was a typical POWER ADHD Meltdown...

Last edited:
I have not been to a maggies game is 2 years. I just don't have any interest at all in the Sanfl. All i care about is if out players play well and don't get injured.

I don't even care if they lose. I feel nothing. But for our afl team I hate f**king losing.

I'm sure many others are the same as me. And that is where the crowds have gone. Most follow the Afl now.

My interpretation is that we were the second best team out there. Umpires first and Sturt third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They want money from the Afl teams yet develop bigger all talent for the Afl. It is quite sad. WA who have always been smaller or third in the overall scheme of things have far better development and deserve more money from our afl clubs than the Sanfl teams.
The SANFL shouldn't exist, but if it gets money from the AFL it should be clearly directed (no ability to move to cronies snouts) at junior level (not SANFL league), with the amount they get based each year on a formula taking into account players drafted (with earlier picks worth more). If SA remains disproportionately shit, they'll get less. No more funding ex-AFL 'almosts' for the SNAFL.

When we inevitably promote Broadbent for Bonner: 'Aw, yeah, nah, look, Broady didn't have the best game for the Maggies on the weekend. He knows that and he accepts that, but as you'se know he was returning from injury, and it takes some time to find form. What we know about Broady is he's a quality player, hard at the ball. I think it would be unfair of us - of me, personally - to expect him to be at his best in his first game back from injury. But yeah, nah, look, it's finals, and you need your best players there. You need that experience there if you want to win finals football, and we think Broady brings that experience to our side. He's been there before and he knows what it's like. We know what we can expect from him and we know he'll give us his all.

Look, yeah, nah, he was also wearing a different number on the back of his guernsey on the weekend. That always throws you off a little. [Chuckle]

Eddy? Yeah, nah, I thought he went alright. Are we done here? Thanks guys.'
LOL !!!

From what I've read of Eddy's performances this year it honestly sounds like he is doing what Colquhoun did last year.

"I'm dominating at this level doing what I'm doing, so I'm going to stick with that. Thanks but no thanks Port Adelaide."

Jogging around kicking goals and not impacting otherwise may win you awards in the SANFL, but it's not going to earn you a spot in an AFL side. If it's what you are good at I can understand the motivation to stick with it though.

After not getting another look in at AFL level this year, he's probably defeated and unmotivated by now, and why wouldn't he be? All he was recruited to do was kick goals, and that's exactly what he did at SANFL level, hence the Ken Farmer. It's even worse when you consider how long we persisted with a makeshift forward in Trengove this year. Eddy can certainly consider himself unlucky and hard-done by.

Also, I don't get much SANFL but did Colquhoun 'dominate' last year? From what I heard he was the most obvious de-listing.

Also very happy that those flogs Nord got booted out of the finals. Butcher kicking a big goal made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Would like to note that finals crowds are a lot different to minor round crowds. It's clear that Norwood supporters that show up only for finals are Crows supporters because they yell "ball" almost instantly even though the holding the ball rule in the SANFL is and has clearly been more lenient than the AFL rule for a few years now. I reckon a few of the umps got sucked in and payed some really quick htb's when Sturt fans did the same thing.

The nature of Aussie Rules (and soccer) means if all one team's players rush to defence the attackers can set up a wall behind play intercepting long kicks out of defence and sending them back in again. Schoolboy footy but it takes cool heads and hard work to slow play and set up your structure again before the umpire calls play on.

True, but compare both sides. There was 45 entries in our F50, and the rebound score was 29-16. Meanwhile, there wax 40 entries in their F50, and the score was 31-9.

Rebound total was Sturt 47-38 Port.

I reckon Snelling and Eddy were our best.

What do we do with Snelling next year ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be inclined to keep Snelling. He is tough, solid as a rock and a clean inside mid. Injuries have limited his continuity since being taken as a rookie but he still has something to add.

The SANFL shouldn't exist, but if it gets money from the AFL it should be clearly directed (no ability to move to cronies snouts) at junior level (not SANFL league), with the amount they get based each year on a formula taking into account players drafted (with earlier picks worth more). If SA remains disproportionately shit, they'll get less. No more funding ex-AFL 'almosts' for the SNAFL.
Will people please leave the Maggies alone. I love them. They are my upbringing.

I have not been to a maggies game is 2 years. I just don't have any interest at all in the Sanfl. All i care about is if out players play well and don't get injured.

I don't even care if they lose. I feel nothing. But for our afl team I hate f**king losing.

I'm sure many others are the same as me. And that is where the crowds have gone. Most follow the Afl now.

So you don't care if we lose every game but you want the players to play well ?????
AFL SANFL or whatever league it is I want Port Adelaide to win, end of story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back