2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Qualifying Final @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Also very happy that those flogs Nord got booted out of the finals. Butcher kicking a big goal made me feel warm and fuzzy.

Would like to note that finals crowds are a lot different to minor round crowds. It's clear that Norwood supporters that show up only for finals are Crows supporters because they yell "ball" almost instantly even though the holding the ball rule in the SANFL is and has clearly been more lenient than the AFL rule for a few years now. I reckon a few of the umps got sucked in and payed some really quick htb's when Sturt fans did the same thing.[/QUOTE

Been happening since 2014 with the umpiring against the AFL sides. Blatant cheating.

I reckon Snelling and Eddy were our best.

What do we do with Snelling next year ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As our draft picks stands I would hope Lienert and Snelling are both upgraded, will be much better value than picks in the 80's or 90's.

True, but compare both sides. There was 45 entries in our F50, and the rebound score was 29-16. Meanwhile, there wax 40 entries in their F50, and the score was 31-9.

Rebound total was Sturt 47-38 Port.
If we got the ball inside 50 45 times and we scored 13.11 ie 24 shots didn't they rebound the ball 21 times without letting us score anything and 32 times only allowing to score a goal?

Correct. He doesn't play we probably lose. Not much more he could have done I don't reckon

It's the old forward vs midfielder debate. Did the forward win you the game or was it the midfielder kicking it to them? Eddy kicked some clutch goals but he isn't a Dixon type forward he really lifts the team. I'm not sure Eddy's overall performance was the difference.

Young, Snelling and Robbie Young were all really important and Toumpas and Linert were strong. I was actually pretty impressed with Toumpas' response to the physical attention he was getting.

Correct. He doesn't play we probably lose. Not much more he could have done I don't reckon

He could have done plenty more than get 4 goals from 5 kicks. He is a beautiful kick but he dropped marks, didn't do many tackles could have protected some smaller forwards a bit more. Did his job but others contributed more.

If we got the ball inside 50 45 times and we scored 13.11 ie 24 shots didn't they rebound the ball 21 times without letting us score anything and 32 times only allowing to score a goal?

That's what I am trying to understand...

He could have done plenty more than get 4 goals from 5 kicks. He is a beautiful kick but he dropped marks, didn't do many tackles could have protected some smaller forwards a bit more. Did his job but others contributed more.

Yeh true but still he is clean and extremely efficient in front of goals when the opportunity presents. I am fan of your views mate so maybe I missed some of his defensive stuff (or lack thereof)

I reckon Snelling and Eddy were our best.

What do we do with Snelling next year ?

I won't ever be disappointed if we culled hard but with no first rounder and a few going before him I think he stays. From what I've seen he Is really a pure midfielder so at one point when he's found form in the sanfl he's going to need a run of 4 games to see if he can make the transition.

I thought Matthew Lobbe did well today he has copped a lot of crap this year but cudos to him for today.
He looked less like Renouf and more like a competent SANFL ruck. He's got 2 years left on his deal so hopefully he keeps it up.

fqrhluH.png

TuNSTUA.png

FWIW on the rebound topic.

We kicked ball into our attacking 50, 45 times. 31 of those times an opposition player got it back out. 13 times they resulted in goals and 1 time the siren went while in our f50. A behind still results in either a rebound or a goal.

45-31-13-1
i50-r50(conceded)-goals-extras

Sturt were 40-29-11-0

Rebound 50s are more a measure of your oppositions ineffectiveness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely keep snelling as a rookie for 1 more year
He didn't do the best October - December 2016 but I'd give him another year as a rookie and tell him to bring up your standards in the off season

Take nothing away from Sturt but when you take into account how many of our players had AFL experience, we should do much better imo.
Young, Snelling, Toumpas and Eddy soley for his accuracy in front of goal were the only real stand outs for me.
Lobster looked ok but that's his battle atm, just ok and considering the coin he's on should be consistently better but sadly I don't think that will happen.

Did anyone notice in the 3rd quarter, We were getting hammered,

Trengove went down back as a spare man in defence leaving Eddy by himself up forward.

Sturt kicked a couple of goals anyway, then Jacko went forward again just before 3/4 time.

Haha that idiot on the AFL website wrote that Jacko might be in doubt next week because he took a knock to the head. You dont sing the song like that if you have concussion that will keep you out next week.

Need Jacko to play next week in AFL so that if he does something spectacular in the game, those blokes at the ESPN Sports Centre can be surprised by Abe Lincoln playing footy and doing something great.

Trengove went down back as a spare man in defence leaving Eddy by himself up forward.

Sturt kicked a couple of goals anyway, then Jacko went forward again just before 3/4 time.
Are you saying when Jacko was forward we looked better or worse?

Yes I noticed and commented in this thread at the time and then said in a later post that Sturt kicked their last 2 goals in the quarter when we just bombed it forward and we were out numbered and they "slingshot" it out of their defence for 2 goals. Jacko went down after Sturt kicked their 7th goal. He must have gone back up forward very very late in the quarter because I didn't see him go back up forward.

Take nothing away from Sturt but when you take into account how many of our players had AFL experience, we should do much better imo.
Young, Snelling, Toumpas and Eddy soley for his accuracy in front of goal were the only real stand outs for me.
Lobster looked ok but that's his battle atm, just ok and considering the coin he's on should be consistently better but sadly I don't think that will happen.

How many of that Magpies side have played AFL consistently ? 9 or 10 tops.

Are you saying when Jacko was forward we looked better or worse?
The whole move in the 3rd quarter just did nothing to change Sturts momentum.

The reason why I think the game got as close as it did was because the side with 2 tall forwards and 2 tall defenders was too short.

Hombsch and Frampton being injured are big losses to the SANFL side.

Yes I noticed and commented in this thread at the time and then said in a later post that Sturt kicked their last 2 goals in the quarter when we just bombed it forward and we were out numbered and they "slingshot" it out of their defence for 2 goals. Jacko went down after Sturt kicked their 7th goal. He must have gone back up forward very very late in the quarter because I didn't see him go back up forward.
Yep it was really late in the quarter when he went back forward. Noticed it when there was a ball up in the middle of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back