Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Had my wife’s 40th yesterday afternoon. Missed the game thankfully. I’m not sure I can handle the full replay. The 15 minute Kayo mini was too much as it was. Now to find an interesting way to put in votes to keep the streak going

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I haven’t watched the game as I much preferred watching my bull carve her way in rainy windy conditions to a another BOG and lead her team to 13-0 in the U18 comp ❤️💙, then spend time watching this club at the moment.

Nor will I watch a replay.

However with Yeo getting through 2 games in a row?? That must be a positive?

Why anyone would knowingly watch a game where their team was totally outclassed by 20 goals and uncompetitive is beyond me.

Here's a tip, it's just like the Hawthorn game, only the oppo full forward kicks 10 and there's a party for the commentary team and Riccuito.

In other news i hope the consistent emergence of Big Bailey Williams could be the catalyst for the club to finally push Naitanui out the door. Contract or no.

Even if he was fit I'd still be playing Williams at the moment, so why carry him for another whole year? He gonna play WAFL is he? That'd be an awkward convo in 2024.

Imagine round 1 and we either dog BBW by dropping him to the WAFL in favour of a 34yr old, after a career best season.... that'll go down well.

Or we bring Naitanui in and cut BBW down at the knees by having him share ruck duties with sed 34yr old... yikes.

Or Naitanui plays WAFL. Wowee.

They all seem like a problem that should be avoided.

I haven’t watched the game as I much preferred watching my bull carve her way in rainy windy conditions to a another BOG and lead her team to 13-0 in the U18 comp ❤️💙, then spend time watching this club at the moment.

Nor will I watch a replay.

However with Yeo getting through 2 games in a row?? That must be a positive?

3 games, but thanks for jinxing him

I thought Yeo poking himself in the eye was the end of that streak tbh..

Was quite Benny Hill

SJOG report: "Unfortunately Elliots eye poke hasn't quite pulled as we hoped, so we'll take a conservative approach and he'll be on a limited program with a return to football unclear..."

I too owe Bailey Williams an apology.

I was wowed by his athleticism and insane jump in his first year and talked him up like he was the brightest young ruck prospect in the league.

Then I went sour in year 2 / not going to make it.

I was wrong and glad to be proven wrong.
Yeah me too, thought he was great when I saw him in the WAFL in his first year and then last year thought he wasn't going to make it.
He's miles ahead of where I thought he'd be a year ago.

I only watched the game to see how our young guys perform. Most of them are not yet fit enough & are not up to standard yet, but there is a Gilmour of hope. Bailey stood up, Ginbey tried hard, Bazzo was out muscled but never gave up, Chesser needs more time, Hough is gaining confidence & looking good, maric showed signs,

I only watched the game to see how our young guys perform. Most of them are not yet fit enough & are not up to standard yet, but there is a Gilmour of hope. Bailey stood up, Ginbey tried hard, Bazzo was out muscled but never gave up, Chesser needs more time, Hough is gaining confidence & looking good, maric showed signs,
newFile.jpg

Why anyone would knowingly watch a game where their team was totally outclassed by 20 goals and uncompetitive is beyond me.

Here's a tip, it's just like the Hawthorn game, only the oppo full forward kicks 10 and there's a party for the commentary team and Riccuito.

In other news i hope the consistent emergence of Big Bailey Williams could be the catalyst for the club to finally push Naitanui out the door. Contract or no.

Even if he was fit I'd still be playing Williams at the moment, so why carry him for another whole year? He gonna play WAFL is he? That'd be an awkward convo in 2024.

Imagine round 1 and we either dog BBW by dropping him to the WAFL in favour of a 34yr old, after a career best season.... that'll go down well.

Or we bring Naitanui in and cut BBW down at the knees by having him share ruck duties with sed 34yr old... yikes.

Or Naitanui plays WAFL. Wowee.

They all seem like a problem that should be avoided.
I don’t mind the idea of Bailey leading the ruck and NN plays as his backup with majority minutes forward

Negatives: we have several players in our best available 22 who should not be on any AFL list. We will delist them, and no other club will pick them up. Some of our injured players are in the same boat.

Positives: not everyone out there was terrible, even in the face of a shellacking. We will be better placed at the start of 2024 than I feared we might be.

Bailey Williams is turning into Naitanui 2.0. First hands to the ball, fancy taps to advantage, hunting the ball on the ground. Who would have thought it?
Reuben Ginbey can provide more than just grunt work. Good hands, some decent options by foot, starting to accumulate.
Ryan Maric can football, and knows where the goals are. Bargain!
Zane Trew is worth keeping. A couple of 30-possession games in the WAFL surrounded by amateurs, and he managed to find the footy against the Crows when quite a few of his teammates didn't.

Here's a possible team for Round 1 2024. I've written off Naitanui, Shuey and Hurn. And Gaff.

FB: Witherden Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan McGovern Jones
C: Hunt Kelly Hough
HF: Cripps Darling Reid
FF: Ryan Allen Long
R: Williams Yeo Ginbey
I: Maric Culley (second ruck) Sheed

Clark, L Edwards, Foley, O'Neill, West, Winder, Rotham (and Gaff) can be delisted as soon as their contracts expire.
Petruccelle, Waterman and SPS are fair enough depth.
Bazzo, Burgiel, Trew, Hewett, Chesser and Barnett can build form in the WAFL and demand a place, along with other draftees.
I'm unconvinced by Jamieson, H Edwards or J Williams, but sit them in the WAFL and see if they develop. Talls take longer, etc.

One of Jamieson, Barnett or Waterman probably plays as second ruck, unless we draft someone who leapfrogs them or trade in a large lump like Sweet or Flynn.

I've assumed we draft Harley Reid.

Positives: not everyone out there was terrible, even in the face of a shellacking. We will be better placed at the start of 2024 than I feared we might be.

Bailey Williams is turning into Naitanui 2.0. First hands to the ball, fancy taps to advantage, hunting the ball on the ground. Who would have thought it?
Reuben Ginbey can provide more than just grunt work. Good hands, some decent options by foot, starting to accumulate.
Zane Trew is worth keeping. A couple of 30-possession games in the WAFL surrounded by amateurs, and he managed to find the footy against the Crows when quite a few of his teammates didn't.

Here's a possible team for Round 1 2024. I've written off Naitanui, Shuey and Hurn. And Gaff.

Clark, L Edwards, Foley, O'Neill, West, Winder, Rotham (and Gaff) can be delisted as soon as their contracts expire.
Bazzo, Burgiel, Trew, Hewett, Chesser and Barnett can build form in the WAFL and demand a place, along with other draftees.
I'm unconvinced by Jamieson, H Edwards or J Williams, but sit them in the WAFL and see if they develop. Talls take longer, etc.

One of Jamieson, Barnett or Waterman probably plays as second ruck, unless we draft someone who leapfrogs them or trade in a large lump like Sweet or Flynn.

Agree with nearly all of that. But I wouldn’t be waiting for contracts to expire for those on your delist pile. Shake hands, pay them out and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind the idea of Bailey leading the ruck and NN plays as his backup with majority minutes forward

I think the idea of Naitanui playing forward has been a favourite for most of us on here for a long while.

Reality is I'm fairly certain Simpson has addressed that at some point and put a line through it from happening. Backman constantly run off Naitanui I guess, he can't go play forward.

It's why we'd play Hickey for 50% of a game and make him rot on the bench rather than shift Naitanui forward like 2011/12.

Negatives: we have several players in our best available 22 who should not be on any AFL list. We will delist them, and no other club will pick them up. Some of our injured players are in the same boat.

Jamo is improving, but Barnett needs to play so he doesnt feel ignored.
We have older injured players - but the are AFL players. We have a wide spread of 2-6 year experienced players who will never be AFL - I am critical that they have been kept so long.

Jamo is improving, but Barnett needs to play so he doesnt feel ignored.
We have older injured players - but the are AFL players. We have a wide spread of 2-6 year experienced players who will never be AFL - I am critical that they have been kept so long.
Think some of those 2 to 6 year players have had there development compromised by injury and a dysfunctional reserves side over the last few years

Zane Trew is worth keeping. A couple of 30-possession games in the WAFL surrounded by amateurs, and he managed to find the footy against the Crows when quite a few of his teammates didn’t.
Yep, was impressed with this centre clearance and general stoppage work when he came on as a sub.

Amazing when you finally play a midfielder in the midfield rather than high half forward or on the defensive (read Masten role) wing.

I know he’s had a fair few chances but really think there’s something to work with in terms of being a clean, one touch inside player that does the grunt work to get it out to better ball users with his elite handballing skills.

Last edited:

I actually really like the idea of Culley as second ruck (not permanently but for a bit) - get him in and around the ball but in a role where he can be a bit reactive instead of have to read the ball off hands naturally. Big enough frame to compete in there and a pretty natural option to be resting forward/rotating in the middle as required if Williams is playing the majority of the game as #1

It was certainly a SNAFU game plan wasn't it! Simpson must have had one too many bottles of passion pop last night 🍾
I can’t be bothered going to previous comments but it has to be said that in my view the club’s poor decision making is to the forefront with this game. Before the game even started everybody and their dog was saying we needed to recognise that there were players who weren’t going to be back before seasons end and we should take the opportunity to place another player on LTI and use the mid season draft to get another player in. We could have also got Buller who is a bid forward who can ruch but no, we just blunder on.
then when it comes to selection and we are playing a very big bodied and tall side, we select smalls. We had (admittedly inexperienced) talls in J Williams and H Barnett available but went for Chesser and Trew (sub). It made it look like an AFL side against a country side. We would have got thrashed anyway but better to at least give the backs a chance in terms of size than throw small players in an unwinnable situation. Plus it took Yeo out of an undermanned midfield to battle huge guys with the ball coming to their advantage. The young tall guys would have been beaten but would get experience. This is the dumbest decision making I’ve ever seen in this club Barring selecting a ruckman in place of a forward in 2005

I actually really like the idea of Culley as second ruck (not permanently but for a bit) - get him in and around the ball but in a role where he can be a bit reactive instead of have to read the ball off hands naturally. Big enough frame to compete in there and a pretty natural option to be resting forward/rotating in the middle as required if Williams is playing the majority of the game as #1
Pretty sure he meant that the second ruck, whoever that may be, has the third bench spot, not Culley as the second ruck. Jai will mix his time between the midfield and the forward line upon his return from the ACL next year.

He certainly won’t be rucking.

Pretty sure he meant that the second ruck, whoever that may be, has the third bench spot, not Culley as the second ruck. Jai will mix his time between the midfield and the forward line upon his return from the ACL next year.

He certainly won’t be rucking.

Ahh gotcha, I definitely misread the lineup you're right.

I still don't think it's a bad idea, we've seen players like Dunkley ruck.

Hopefully Williams will be playing 80% of the game in the ruck, so unlike with NN I dunno if it's worth it naming a designated second ruck if they're not up to holding down another position for the rest of the game (eg I still have hope for Jamo but don't rate him playing forward for most of a game)

The other option is sending Waterman/Rotham through there but honestly I reckon Waterman develops as a Darling type or not at all, and I'd rather the exposure be given to Culley. Would still play 80% of his game split between mid and forward but give us an excuse to have him in there for longer, give us the balance to name another mid. Obviously assuming we'll have a fit midfield is wishful thinking but under the exercise of naming our best 22 I still see the coaches dedicating the lion's share of clearance work to Kelly, Yeo, Sheed, and probably with Ginbey in there a lot I'd love to free up slots as much as possible to get Hewitt, Chesser, Culley, even Hough running through there when they can

Think some of those 2 to 6 year players have had there development compromised by injury and a dysfunctional reserves side over the last few years
I noted preseason that SPS, Witho, JW, Petro and Rotham give us too little too often. Some have shown a bit here and there but not consistently. Each has played 55-115 games (for a total of 411). If you haven’t nailed a spot with so many opportunities then you’re at best depth and at worst a list clogger. The Beagles need you.
We have plenty of players with less than 30 games who now deserve their opportunity.

The good thing about Bailey's efforts this season is that the gap between his "spud" games and his amazing games really only hinges on a couple things...

1. How clean he is with the ball
2. How good his marking is

The "spud" games that generally people melt over are after he's been fumbly around the stoppages and had his handballs picked off and finishes with low percentage DE.

A couple "almost" marks that go through his hands and that's normally enough for people to come on here and go REEEEEEeeeeeee about how bad he is.

IF he keeps his disposal clean, like he did last night (75%DE) and take a couple grabs (2 contested) then he's suddenly a king.

Shows that the gulf between his best and worst isn’t major. I think naturally he keeps himself in the game by hunting the footy at stoppages and getting involved with clearances and tackles.

His disposals this year without Jamieson: 10, 13, 17, 12, 21, 13, 13, 12, 20 (Ave 15D)

Hitouts without Jamieson: 20, 14, 19, 27, 37, 21, 28, 33, 35 (Ave 26). Ironically he averages more hitouts with Jamo in the team.

Even with Jamieson he's still pulled some very good all over numbers. Vs the Pies he had 16D, 11 contested, 21HO, 6 tackles, 5 clearances and 110 ranking points.

His ranking point average has climbed from 55 in 2022 to 81 in 2023. That's a fair effort. He had 10 tackles vs Hawthorn when we got annihilated as well.

Definitely a consistent positive for the club in a year which straight up belongs in the toilet bowl 🚽

Remove this Banner Ad

Back