Pre-Season 2015/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or is big Jake becoming the likable lout..

recruit-jake-carlisle-reacts-with-a-staff-member-during-a-st-kilda-picture-id498873720

I reckon there's a lot of relief there, finally getting to a wonderful environment. He's going to love it.

Just me or does Billings look a similar height to our 3rd tall in Membrey?

According to Jennifer Phelan on afl.com.au, this is our Best 22 next year...

STKIL-sb-AFLM.jpg

B: Sean Dempster, Hugh Goddard, Jimmy Webster
HB: Dylan Roberton, Jake Carlisle, Sam Fisher
C: Jarryn Geary, Luke Dunstan, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Nick Riewoldt, Jack Sinclair
F: Jack Lonie, Josh Bruce, Paddy McCartin
Foll: Billy Longer, David Armitage, Jack Steven
I/C: Leigh Montagna, Sam Gilbert, Maverick Weller, Seb Ross

DEPTH
Key-position defenders:
Nick Coughlan*, Luke Delaney, Tom Lee
General defenders: Brodie Murdoch, Shane Savage, Cam Shenton, Brandon White, Nathan Wright
Key-position forwards: Brenton Payne*
General forwards: Tim Membrey, Darren Minchington, Josh Saunders*, Eli Templeton
Midfielders: Blake Acres, Tom Curren, Nathan Freeman, Jade Gresham, Daniel McKenzie, Nick O'Kearney*, Bailey Rice
Rucks: Tom Hickey, Jason Holmes*, Lewis Pierce

Billings looms as potentially a recruit for the Saints in 2016 after missing more than half this season with a leg fracture and will add class to their forward line, which benefited from the addition of Sinclair, Lonie and Bruce this year.

Delaney will need to continue to fight for his spot with Goddard showing promise in the later stages of the season plus the arrival of Carlisle, as will Membrey with McCartin to play more in 2016.

The Saints' on-ball brigade is relatively settled with the likes of Acres and Freeman to apply pressure if they get their bodies right while the off-season will determine which ruckman gets the nod first out of Longer and Hickey, although Holmes can't be discounted after his exciting end to this season.

Savage is stiff to miss out but there's plenty of flexibility, particularly with the half-back line.

- Jennifer Phelan

Don't entirely agree, but it's not awful.

Last edited:

STKIL-sb-AFLM.jpg

DEPTH
Key-position defenders:
Nick Coughlan*, Luke Delaney, Tom Lee
General defenders: Brodie Murdoch, Shane Savage, Cam Shenton, Brandon White, Nathan Wright
Key-position forwards: Brenton Payne*
General forwards: Tim Membrey, Darren Minchington, Josh Saunders*, Eli Templeton
Midfielders: Blake Acres, Tom Curren, Nathan Freeman, Jade Gresham, Daniel McKenzie, Nick O'Kearney*, Bailey Rice
Rucks: Tom Hickey, Jason Holmes*, Lewis Pierce

Billings looms as potentially a recruit for the Saints in 2016 after missing more than half this season with a leg fracture and will add class to their forward line, which benefited from the addition of Sinclair, Lonie and Bruce this year.

Delaney will need to continue to fight for his spot with Goddard showing promise in the later stages of the season plus the arrival of Carlisle, as will Membrey with McCartin to play more in 2016.

The Saints' on-ball brigade is relatively settled with the likes of Acres and Freeman to apply pressure if they get their bodies right while the off-season will determine which ruckman gets the nod first out of Longer and Hickey, although Holmes can't be discounted after his exciting end to this season.

Savage is stiff to miss out but there's plenty of flexibility, particularly with the half-back line.

- Jennifer Phelan

Don't entirely agree, but it's not awful.
This is spot on by Jen.

The only personal change I'd make is Geary out but there's no doubting he'll start.

I want us to just shove games down Acres' throat. he could have like 10 ordinary games in a row. don't care. keep playing him

Agree with this reckon he could be a damn good player needs games; will benefit both Acres and the Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just me or does Billings look a similar height to our 3rd tall in Membrey?

This is interesting, in that picture he does.
I think in the mini documentary on Billings, McDonald and Lennon in their draft year it was said that Billings was the smallest out of them and started growing a bit later. Means it's possible he's put on another couple of cms since being drafted, only just turned 20 a couple of months ago. Was originally listed at 184/185 while Membrey is 188 to 189. Could be around the 187 or 188 mark now?

Looking at that midfield depth, boy we have got some talent to work with.

If we could add a top class mid (like JOM), we could really do something
Yep considering this 'depth': Midfielders: Blake Acres, Tom Curren, Nathan Freeman, Jade Gresham, Daniel McKenzie, Nick O'Kearney*, Bailey Rice

reckon we just need a couple of these mids to develop in to the top range to be very competitive

Looking at that midfield depth, boy we have got some talent to work with.

If we could add a top class mid (like JOM), we could really do something

Yeah I reckon we need some JOM or Treloar style beefing up myself. We have a ton of potential but some ready made impact players and we are ready to take on anyone. If Ross or Newnes could get moving next year it might not be necessary though. Freeman could be massive if he can play consistent injury free football at a high level.

I could quibble with Jen's 22, but it certainly is a legitimate contribution to the debate. Daddy_Barrels , thoughts?
I'd have a couple different, but it's pretty spot on.

FWIW, I'm not sure Fisher is automatically Best 22 anymore. He's lost a yard or two, so on the more athletic 3rd talls he's going to struggle a bit.

And I too would have Sav over Geary; you can't have too many good kicks in the side.

FWIW, I'm not sure Fisher is automatically Best 22 anymore. He's lost a yard or two, so on the more athletic 3rd talls he's going to struggle a bit.

And I too would have Sav over Geary; you can't have too many good kicks in the side.

i couldn't see Seb on her list, I reckon he could be a real step up this year. I can see him and Dunstan fighting it out for a midfield role next year. I would keep Geary in when fit he's still a heart and soul player and could even get to the next level. Easton Wood looked like he was going to be a Geary type for a long time. Savage at his best is a walk up start but needs to get consistency. I won't be surprised if they throw Savage into different positions next year- he was supposed to be a mid for us but had no form or confidence before moving back, he might have some now.

I agree on Fisher, they might keep Goddard out and swap between the two this year. Not many forward lines justify two KPDs that are close to 2 meters tall.

The list highlights to me that fisher is going to be a list clogger this year. I really hope they use him purely as a backup for Carlisle and Dempster only.

Gears to back pocket though, Webster takes fishers spot and savage on the wing.

Lots of flexibility though - that's a Bruce rucking lineup, probably is optimum for the team but not for Bruce individually.

There's not too many on that list where you think we'd be totally screwed if they went down.

STKIL-sb-AFLM.jpg

Pretty bang on by Jennifer. I've brought in Savage for Geary and 2nd ruck Hickey for Ross.

My 22:
F Lonie McCartin Sinclair
HF Billings Bruce Riewoldt
C Savage Dunstan Montagna
HB Fisher Carlisle Newnes
B Webster Goddard Dempster
R Longer Steven Armitage
INT Hickey Weller Roberton Gilbert

The point is, just how much this indicates depth: when we're agonising (across several threads! :p ) between Savage, Geary, Fisher and Webster for one spot, that's a very good sign.

The point is, just how much this indicates depth: when we're agonising (across several threads! :p ) between Savage, Geary, Fisher and Webster for one spot, that's a very good sign.

great point - they are all very good players who would deserve a spot in the 22

great point - they are all very good players who would deserve a spot in the 22
Yep, if you look at any best 22 of ours now, there is virtually no spot where a spot is filled by somebody just for the sake of filling it. There are legitimate reasons for them to be in there, but often one or two, or even more, other players who you could argue could take their spot. That is a flipping good sign.

Yep we certainly have depth, now we "just" need some of them to step up and become A grade players. Hopefully we have a few that are ready to progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back