Preview Pre-Season 2015 - Training, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed that you picked up on Walsh's kicking which I noticed as well, when they were doing the midfield drills in the centre later on he was quite impressive from a distance.

Walsh or Fields?

Fields long kicking is very impressive. Big lump of a lad that doesn't really seem to have a football shape but can he connect.

Didn't catch up on too much of Walsh other than a few fumbles and mis-directed passes. Thought it best to take my eye off him thereafter... :)

Walsh or Fields?

Fields long kicking is very impressive. Big lump of a lad that doesn't really seem to have a football shape but can he connect.

Didn't catch up on too much of Walsh other than a few fumbles and mis-directed passes. Thought it best to take my eye off him thereafter... :)

Yeah I meant Walsh, his bad disposal at times. He was good in the drills after though from what I saw

How is Clem Smith travelling? Will he get a game in 2015? If so, forward or back?

Thanks heaps for the reports guys, much appreciated!

This is just my opinion but I think you'll find a lot of the kids get some game time next season. I think we'll struggle a bit but the silver lining will be getting game time into our draftees nice and early.

FWIW I can't agree

Unless the kids comprise Watson, Whiley, Cripps, Graham, Buckley, Jaksch(later),and maybe Boekhorst and Byrne.

Also don't think we will struggle too much. When we got our sh1t together after the 2nd bye, showed we are competitive.
Factor in improved fitness/availability of Kreuzer, Thomas, Henderson, Walker, Cripps, Everitt, Buckley, Judd, Carrazzo & co,
we have plenty of upside, even without the recruits.

So many are focussed on the changes to the list and think top 22 talent has been scarce. Of the departures only Waite and
Robinson would have tenuous claims to top 22 (given Jeffy's decline) and we "touch wood" have a healthy list now.

All power to the new kids on the block, but they will have to earn their stripes as we have plenty with tenure still making their
way.

Realistically it is going to be relatively hard getting a gig with the Northern Blues given most of our 46 listed players are almost
all ready to play. Not sure of numbers but guessing we can't play many more than 14/15 at NB's in any given match.

Would be great to see the kids force their way in, as it won't be easy, and they will have earned it.

Mick isn't big on having too many newbies at the one time, nor is he big on giving out games that haven't been earned.
There were no surprise selections this year and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Obviously the most like to be given games early are the guys recruited; Jones, Tutt, Whiley and even Jaksch and Dick.
Boekhorst being a little more senior and having been our first selection, has every chance to be the first cab off the rank where draftees are concerned.

Realistically it is going to be relatively hard getting a gig with the Northern Blues given most of our 46 listed players are almost
all ready to play. Not sure of numbers but guessing we can't play many more than 14/15 at NB's in any given match.

Would be great to see the kids force their way in, as it won't be easy, and they will have earned it.

We can play as many as we choose but given a fully fit squad, it's possible some will have to spend time in the development league.

Still think it would be unlikely for no NB players to be involved as one of them at least is our captain.

There will always be injured players. The rehab group, despite no serious injuries, is always made up of about 5 to 10 players.

But it is possible...........unlikely, but possible that players may be forced to play development league and not just because they're performing poorly.

I'd be interested to track the progress of Fields over the preseason. Unlike our other mature recruits, he doesn't have the luxury of a 2 year contract. But at 21yo, it's now or never.

Expect him to train the house down in an effort to 'steal' a nominated rookie spot, and possible round 1 debut, from Sheehan and Johnson.

So although he's a longshot at pick 41 in the rookie draft, I expect him to make an impact during the preseason competition.

Just regarding Clem at training yesterday. He looked good, however some of his attempts at crumbing and dribble kicks for goal were atrocious - he'll need to work on that if he's going to play that small forward role.

Just regarding Clem at training yesterday. He looked good, however some of his attempts at crumbing and dribble kicks for goal were atrocious - he'll need to work on that if he's going to play that small forward role.

Or he could just straighten up and kick it properly through the two middle sticks. :)

As much as we have had the privilege of watching some of the best small forward magicians in recent years, I do think most players overdo the dribble and fancy stuff.

Sorry, old school....

But yeah, crumbing would need to worked on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or he could just straighten up and kick it properly through the two middle sticks. :)

As much as we have had the privilege of watching some of the best small forward magicians in recent years, I do think most players overdo the dribble and fancy stuff.

Sorry, old school....

Few footy things more frustrating to watch than seeing someone miss a goal because they've dribbled it along the ground instead of just kicking it normally. Who would have thought that an oval ball would have an unpredictable bounce...?

Few footy things more frustrating to watch than seeing someone miss a goal because they've dribbled it along the ground instead of just kicking it normally. Who would have thought that an oval ball would have an unpredictable bounce...?
Garlett was a major culprit and so many times he could simply have snapped, which he was good at. Maddening.

Garlett was a major culprit and so many times he could simply have snapped, which he was good at. Maddening.
It was the holding the hands up over his face in anguish that pissed me off, as if the gods weren't smiling at him each time he missed.

Kick the ball properly, son.

Anyway, no longer our problem...

Sorry, old school....

i agree - a ball shape not cunducive to rolling straight - kick it over everyones head & kick it straight. Wont get rushed thru, wont leg break & go sideways, wont make you look like an idiot when you miss from 10 metres out trying to be a smartarse...

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

Looking at you, Betts.

I tend to agree that the dribble shot is best avoided, however it was the awkward manner that Clem was reading the loose ball that was most concerning. Hopefully it's something he can work on, regardless it seems like he'll add much needed forward pressure to the side.

I like the kid :)

it was the awkward manner that Clem was reading the loose ball that was most concerning. Hopefully it's something he can work on, regardless it seems like he'll add much needed forward pressure to the side.

I like the kid :)

Put him up on the flank so he can roam a bit. Tutt can fill the small forward role closer to goals, hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back