Preview Pre-Season 2015 - Training, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

In short..........NO, but that's based on the 6 or so sessions I've seen.

Taking Walker and Robinson out of the equation, the general tone doesn't front up as strong from the top end of things.
(Gibbs, Walker and Robinson were generally the three that stood out over the course of pre-seasons in the past couple of years to me)

The difference now, as I had expected is that the bottom end is pushing harder against the top end.
i.e. The gap isn't quite as distinct any more and the bottom-aged players are pushing much harder against the top tiered players.
Menzel, Graham, Holman, Cripps, DVR, Whiley, Buckley, Sheehan, Foster, Walsh etc seem to be miles ahead of where their more recent counterparts may have been.
I guess that seems to suggest that the group may be a lot more even but only time will show up whether that is the case or not.

This group of players do seem much more of a unit than I have encountered before................that's for sure.
Let's see what the next 8 weeks show up. I am highly optimistic.

Hmm hopefully a strong 22-26 start to emerge when they get back.

Just on Jones, there appeared to be a couple of issues that need to ironed out during the pre-season.

1). Fitness - is there a gruelling program being tailored for Liam over the next few months?
2). Marking - MM is/wants to address a flaw on his attack on the mark (jumping?) which may add on further improvement to his game (or derail confidence if not taken on board...)

As per the training reports, Jones is tearing it up at this stage, or at least glowing in some aspects at training, should the above be addressed our forward line issues could be partly solved with a shrewd, targeted trade and a willing player for the team/club.

1). Fitness - is there a gruelling program being tailored for Liam over the next few months?
2). Marking - MM is/wants to address a flaw on his attack on the mark (jumping?) which may add on further improvement to his game (or derail confidence if not taken on board...)

1. As we know, Jones started training on his fitness, straight after seasons end.
He's not the best of runners but his repeat efforts along with contested work have been quality.

2. Mick has spent time one on one with Liam and from the last session, Mick seemed to be somewhat pleased in the progress.
Surprised that no-one else has spent time trying to iron out this flaw in his marking but at least Jones is now starting to clunk them above his head.

Mick's case of deja vu with the son of a former favourite

WHEN Carlton selected 19-year-old Jayden Foster in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, it knew the history his father, Peter, had with the coach.
Minutes after using pick No.63 to call out Foster's name, recruiting manager Shane Rogers told AFL.com.au the youngster had the same mannerisms as his old man. He then reflected on how rare it was for a senior coach to coach across generations.
"It's a good story. It wouldn't happen much in AFL footy," Rogers said.

"He's fitted in beautifully. There is so much of his old man in him." says Mick about Jayden.

No BlueBelle That's not the case at all.
There's a lot to take out of a pre-season and the numbers do start stacking up but yes, the proof is in the pudding.

From my observations Jones has been terrific and that's to say that the club isn't making stuff up for a stories sake.
He's made many of our players look second rate and the energy levels have been through the roof.....so why should Mick say otherwise?
He's just calling things as they are but not pretending to be Nostradamus.........I applaud him for it.

:cry:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well holidays are over and the boys are back to training on Tuesday, us Blues supporters over in the West will look forward and appreciate hearing how they are going so please keep up the good work all.

Driving back from the beach, went past collingwood training, then richmond training so thought I'd see if the Blues were training.

We either have a lot of new fat islanders running around princes park or it was the Melbourne rebels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving back from the beach, went past collingwood training, then richmond training so thought I'd see if the Blues were training.

We either have a lot of new fat islanders running around princes park or it was the Melbourne rebels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, just the boys with their post Christmas break tans and pudding on.

photoact_4.jpg

Not liking our new training colours but Curnow has really gone too far with the hair, this time.

No BlueBelle That's not the case at all.
There's a lot to take out of a pre-season and the numbers do start stacking up but yes, the proof is in the pudding.

From my observations Jones has been terrific and that's to say that the club isn't making stuff up for a stories sake.
He's made many of our players look second rate and the energy levels have been through the roof.....so why should Mick say otherwise?
He's just calling things as they are but not pretending to be Nostradamus.........I applaud him for it.
Perhaps as sometimes happens the realisation that footy careers can be real short without the right application is in part helping drive his training. The old "lightbulb" going off & realising you'd have to get a real job at significantly less coin can sometimes just be the right thing to get your head straight.

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

:D I know that sounds bad given he's output at his former club but it's a good thing as I doubt anyone expected him to be as strong and agile as he is.

Hope that the opposition take him lightly this year also.
Who was Jack Gunston before he came to Hawthorn?

GEELONG youngster Lincoln McCarthy has suffered an injury setback, returning to the club after the Christmas break on crutches with a moon boot on his left leg.
The 21-year-old forward missed the entire 2013 season after breaking the navicular bone in his foot with fears now he has suffered a recurrence of that serious injury.

Relates to Geelong's McCarthy but can't help feeling just a little nervous for Giles. Bloody naviculars..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back