Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No i would agree with Brian on this one. Their current side would on paper be arguably better than their 2012 finals side. Yes this is not the B grade forum but a comparison between St Bedes and Uni Blues was made by more than one poster.

Have not seen Blues this year but would seriously doubt that the team that finished 9th in 2013, now minus Young (best player in the comp last year) Nash and few others would be a top 4 four side. Understand they have picked up a few good players
but not to the extent they would jump 5 places on the ladder. 'A’ grade is also a better standard this year than last.

Also Blues did not play finals in 2012. (Colls, Xavs, DLS, Scotch)

my mistake re finals; must have been the year before. Nash is overrated, and pickups are more than good
Regardless it is a moot point. They are in B , St Bedes are in A , next year is a different year with changes for both teams: still it is fun speculation

my mistake re finals; must have been the year before. Nash is overrated, and pickups are more than good
Regardless it is a moot point. They are in B , St Bedes are in A , next year is a different year with changes for both teams: still it is fun speculation

Agree. This has generated some good banter, which has been missing for a while. Nash might be overrated but still a very good player while Young was a super star. Thinking what he would have done in ‘B’ grade is terrifying!

Based on Nash’s VAFA record he does not hang around at clubs when they get relegated – departed OM’s and UB’s as soon as they took the drop. Sharks must be a bit nervous, as they are not exactly safe themselves. Could it be 4 clubs in 5 years for Jonno?

Agree. This has generated some good banter, which has been missing for a while. Nash might be overrated but still a very good player while Young was a super star. Thinking what he would have done in ‘B’ grade is terrifying!

Based on Nash’s VAFA record he does not hang around at clubs when they get relegated – departed OM’s and UB’s as soon as they took the drop. Sharks must be a bit nervous, as they are not exactly safe themselves. Could it be 4 clubs in 5 years for Jonno?
sorry; that was very unfair to Nash. He is a very good player who has represented the VAFA. I just think in comparison to both Young and also some of Blues recruits that he is not as good

Flat Footy, you have been insinuating major issues at St Bede's, fish rotting at the head etc, that to me is slinging crap.

Brien, my interpretation of slinging "crap" as you put is to stand back with a shovel, line everyone up and give them each a heap. Mot the case. Posters were speculating why Bedes have dropped , putting up their opinion, all good. Some have mentioned the playing list, injuries, absentees, the Coach etc..... I just mentioned another aspect, should I prove to be right, so be it. Pointing out a reason or deficiencies is
hardly "slinging crap". Never have I had a crack at the playing list or the Club as a whole brcause you cant......... Only time will tell.

Blues are a top 4 side in Premier let alone Premier B, the guys they have recruited are jets from other comps, not just top ups.
If they keep their list together they will do what Blacks, Trinity and St Bedes did and go straight to the top of Premier.
In regards to St Bedes, they must be respected for all they have done and will do the last 4 rounds, expect them to beat Scotch in the wet on Saturday.

Not sure why you would sling crap at them?

Uni Blues are a very solid side but to say they are a Premier top 4 side says more about the mentality of the 'B Grade' teams than it does about Blues!

Blacks and Bernies safe
Xavs to finish 11-7 (beating bottom 3 and free falling Trinity in last 4)
Trinity 10-8 at best
4th to be the winner of rd 18 Scotch v Collegians.
IMO

Do you really think you're qualified to comment on A Grade Brian? Ridiculous to suggest Uni Blues are a top 4 side in premier.

Spot on there Party Boy..... As Brian is well experienced to know, there is an alarming difference between A and B. That being said, unsure why Blues are getting any air time at all in here.

There was a statement made yesterday at TP. But regardless of the win by xavs. How the top four takes shape at the end of the year is very much dependant on the rest of the comp. Form probably has them winning the last four. Scotch and Collegians can have a say in whether they make it or not.

I wouldn't want to be playing them on Elsternwick in the first round should they make it.

Spot on there Party Boy..... As Brian is well experienced to know, there is an alarming difference between A and B. That being said, unsure why Blues are getting any air time at all in here.

There was a statement made yesterday at TP. But regardless of the win by xavs. How the top four takes shape at the end of the year is very much dependant on the rest of the comp. Form probably has them winning the last four. Scotch and Collegians can have a say in whether they make it or not.

I wouldn't want to be playing them on Elsternwick in the first round should they make it.

From what I heard yesterday from some Ammo luminaries, Xavs will not be fielding a team of last sat's class again.
There will be the usual absenteeism from a number of reasons that befells all teams. The question is of course will anything less be good enough??

So many questions to be answered over the remaining 5 weeks.

Can Xavs keep winning?
Have Trinity done enough?
Who will stay in A Grade?

If Xavs can't knock over the all conquering blacks this weekend, the run for 4th will be over.

St Bede's are always dangerous at Brindisi, can they beat Scotch? Stranger things have happened....

My end of the H&A ladder prediction.

Uni Blacks - 64
St Bernards - 60
Trinity - 44
Scotch - 40
Collegians - 40
Xavs - 40
Beaumaris - 24
De La Salle - 20
St Bedes - 16
Brighton - 16

One slip up and everything changes.

A Grade is alive and well.

PB

Did last week's results make things any clearer? Not really...

I have Xavs winning their remaining 4.
Trinity have hit a wall.
Scotch look the goods.
Percentage could decide relegation for Brighton and De la

My Rolling End of season Ladder

Uni Blacks - 60
St Bernards - 56
Scotch - 44
Xavs - 44
Collegians - 40
Trinity - 36
Beaumaris - 28
Brighton - 20
De La - 20
St Bedes - 12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did last week's results make things any clearer? Not really...

I have Xavs winning their remaining 4.
Trinity have hit a wall.
Scotch look the goods.
Percentage could decide relegation for Brighton and De la

My Rolling End of season Ladder

Uni Blacks - 60
St Bernards - 56
Scotch - 44
Xavs - 44
Collegians - 40
Trinity - 36
Beaumaris - 28
Brighton - 20
De La - 20
St Bedes - 12

Agree with these. Scotch Bernies in the coming weeks should be a cracker. Xavs sit behind those 2 in premiership odds for me, will have to win 12 on the trot to make the Granny (stranger/not so strange this have happened)

From what I heard yesterday from some Ammo luminaries, Xavs will not be fielding a team of last sat's class again.
There will be the usual absenteeism from a number of reasons that befells all teams. The question is of course will anything less be good enough??

That'll make it tough then.

Which players are you referring to? Goss, Ambrose, Wynne?

I noticed the big ruckman Shaw, was running water. He mustn't be far off.

For what its worth Dom Berry must have been pretty bad........
Take a look at the players who Berry had at his disposal compared to last weekend - specifically,
Goss has his first game for the year and kicks 5,
Wynne comes back in and dominates,
Beetham played in one, maybe two games under Berry (they won one of them),
Murphy Ambrose back
Ben Kennedy playing well,
and the list goes on.

Regardless of that, OX will win the next 7 to take the flag and Berry will end up as a two-time premiership coach. Just like Scrapper Meehan coached a flag in 96.

Take a look at the players who Berry had at his disposal compared to last weekend - specifically,
Goss has his first game for the year and kicks 5,
Wynne comes back in and dominates,
Beetham played in one, maybe two games under Berry (they won one of them),
Murphy Ambrose back
Ben Kennedy playing well,
and the list goes on.

Regardless of that, OX will win the next 7 to take the flag and Berry will end up as a two-time premiership coach. Just like Scrapper Meehan coached a flag in 96.

Correct me if Im wrong, but dont you have play a limited number of games before you can play finals? Is it 8?

Played now : Goss 1. Wynne 1. Ambrose 1?. Shaw yet to play. Beetham might be line ball.

Have I got this wrong???

Correct me if Im wrong, but dont you have play a limited number of games before you can play finals? Is it 8?

Played now : Goss 1. Wynne 1. Ambrose 1?. Shaw yet to play. Beetham might be line ball.

Have I got this wrong???

No games requirement for registered senior players to play finals UNLESS they are AFL, VFL or TAC listed - then they need to have played 5 for the year including 2 after June 30, or 8 for the year with no games after June 30.

thanks for that.........

Gees, when they are not winning game, people sinking their boots into the Xavs. Suddenly they put a couple of wins together and they have the rest of the comp clammering for excuses and blaming head office for their success. Apart from the fact they are sitting sixth at the moment, seems there are multiple teams looking over their shoulders already. Beetham has played the most of the year (apart from his suspension) and is really hitting some top form. Kennedy didn't get a look in until the half way mark. Goss pulls the boots on for his first game and proves what an integral player he is for the side. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see he will play out the last four games and any other that may present themselves. Wynne still needs to qualify and will. Is he the best player in the comp? Ambrose similar but qualified. I don't hear any pundits complaining when Barlow and Jameison come back for the big ones for the cardinals. Fair play to them. Rules are rules. All five of the above mentioned Xavs players are all old boys.

Like I said in an earlier post, even if Xavs win their remaining games, its up to the 5 teams above them to look after their own back yard, win some games on the way home and they won't have to worry about it at all. If they can't do that and Xavs remain undefeated, there might be a story to write come September. .

Gees, when they are not winning game, people sinking their boots into the Xavs. Suddenly they put a couple of wins together and they have the rest of the comp clammering for excuses and blaming head office for their success. Apart from the fact they are sitting sixth at the moment, seems there are multiple teams looking over their shoulders already. Beetham has played the most of the year (apart from his suspension) and is really hitting some top form. Kennedy didn't get a look in until the half way mark. Goss pulls the boots on for his first game and proves what an integral player he is for the side. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see he will play out the last four games and any other that may present themselves. Wynne still needs to qualify and will. Is he the best player in the comp? Ambrose similar but qualified. I don't hear any pundits complaining when Barlow and Jameison come back for the big ones for the cardinals. Fair play to them. Rules are rules. All five of the above mentioned Xavs players are all old boys.

Like I said in an earlier post, even if Xavs win their remaining games, its up to the 5 teams above them to look after their own back yard, win some games on the way home and they won't have to worry about it at all. If they can't do that and Xavs remain undefeated, there might be a story to write come September. .

Trinity falling apart has certainly opened the door for Xavs and all credit to them for turning their season around. On paper they look a formidable unit but as another poster pointed they had a team on Saturday that is unlikely to be seen again with Wynn and probably Ambrose returning to VFL ranks at some stage. Whisper is that Essendon VFL want to have a look at Goss so 1 game away form him and he does not qualify. I guess time will tell.

Blacks still clearly the team to beat for mine. 10 more scoring shots than Xavs but 2.10 in the 1st quarter killed them. On the flipside 13.3 by Xavs is extraordinary.

Not that it really matters where the players come from but as it was raised above I’ll just thrown in that while all of those might have finished at Xavs they all came from elsewhere - Wynne CBC St Kilda, Ambrose Salesian Chadstone and Goss some private school in Warrigal (sorry name escapes me).

Trinity falling apart has certainly opened the door for Xavs and all credit to them for turning their season around. On paper they look a formidable unit but as another poster pointed they had a team on Saturday that is unlikely to be seen again with Wynn and probably Ambrose returning to VFL ranks at some stage. Whisper is that Essendon VFL want to have a look at Goss so 1 game away form him and he does not qualify. I guess time will tell.

Blacks still clearly the team to beat for mine.10 more scoring shots than Xavs but 2.10 in the 1st quarter killed them. On the flipside 13.3 by Xavs is extraordinary.

Not that it really matters where the players come from but as it was raised above I’ll just thrown in that while all of those might have finished at Xavs they all came from elsewhere - Wynne CBC St Kilda, Ambrose Salesian Chadstone and Goss some private school in Warrigal (sorry name escapes me).
Agree! Apparently rested a few on Saturday too.

Blacks still clearly the team to beat for mine. 10 more scoring shots than Xavs but 2.10 in the 1st quarter killed them. On the flipside 13.3 by Xavs is extraordinary.

Good point. Xavs is no longer the "scholarship factory" it used to be. You only have to look at their School 1st XVIII.
A good city catholic footballer used to be lured to Xavs. A good country catholic footballer used to be lured to Assumption.
It wasnt accidental............

God forbid. Next you will be bringing up the primary school of Brendan Iezzi. I'd hate for him to be disassociated from Trinity because he went to another educational facility in his lifetime. Continuing to really clutch at straws. But that's ok. Jealousy will do that to some people.

And yes, you are right. They did rest three top players. Darvell, Shaw and Woodley should all step in this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back