Player Watch Premiership Hero Max Bailey

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 1. Max Bailey

Most people will probably heard this already but it's great news for the big fella and well done to the club in showing some faith in him:thumbsu:

EMERGING ruckman Max Bailey has agreed to a new contract and will remain with the club until at least 2008 after inking a one-year contract extension.

The 20-year-old, 206cm ruckman said it was "massive" to sign a new deal, given he will not play in 2007 after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at a training session in January.

Now that he has put pen to paper, Bailey is delighted he can focus fully on his recovery.

“If I'd still been out of contract at the end of the year, I'd be fretting about it all the time, so having that out of the way and just being able to focus on my rehab and footy is very good," Bailey told hawthornfc.com.au.

"A couple of weeks after I did my knee, (chief executive) Ian Robson and (football manager) Mark Evans came to me and said, 'we don't want you to worry about your contract – we're going to do it now'.

"Gavin Jahn, my manager from Frontier Sport, had been talking to the club just before I did my knee and I knew about that, but when I did my knee I was pretty worried as I'd never been through that situation before, but they were all really good."

Reflecting on his injury, Bailey said it was a "nothing incident" when it happened.

"I was chasing someone and I got bumped from the side and my knee just buckled and I didn't really know what happened. You don't really think something like that is going to happen to you," Bailey said.

"I just thought I might have done something smaller, but when they said, 'you've done you're ACL', it didn't really sink in until I knew I couldn't play for the rest of the year and then it really hit me."

Bailey said he had to wait three weeks for the swelling to subside before he could have the operation. He then watched dozens of DVDs at home before returning to the club to start his training program.

"It's been about three weeks now where I've been doing upper-body weights and it's been about two months since the op and I've been doing knee exercises from the physio – that's all I can do physically," Bailey said.

"I've also been doing a fair bit of work with the coaches, watching the opposition and helping out with ruck coach Alex Ishchenko and you get a bit out of it. So rather than sitting around and not being in footy for a year, you're still involved and able to learn."

Bailey is also swimming and cycling but said it would be another month before he could start jogging.

In the meantime, the Western Australian is enjoying some home cooking from his host family and relishing the Melbourne lifestyle.

"The lady I live with has been trying to feed me up, so they've been very good. They've been looking after me very well and they're in Hawthorn," Bailey said.

"They've got a couple of kids around my age, which makes it good as well and I'm able to talk to people away from footy.

"It took a bit of getting used to over here, as Melbourne is so much busier than Perth, but I've slowly got used to it and I really enjoy Melbourne now."

With pick 13 Bigbol069 has declared that he is big enough to take on Big Max Bailey.

He is prepared to carry him to the ground so that his knee is perfect for the game. A true diehrd Hawks man.

BR:thumbsu:

Bigbol.

Congratulations on picking the Big Max.

Number 24 & I will be able to help you as we are now the proud GOLD plyaer sponsers of Big Max for season 2008.

As sponsers we get the sponsers function where Max shows us around the Waverley site and we get a photo with Max and later go down to the rooms just before a match for the pre match address etc.

So if you have any questions you want answered, just forward em on.

Any news on how Mad Max is coming along? I'm very excited about him coming into the team to replace maybe Robbie Campbell so RC can have some time in the backline!

I read somewhere he was around 2 weeks off bein injured, so probably another 5 weeks before he would make the senior side, if he does, but you'd think he'd string along a couple of games this season.

Buoyant Bailey hawk-eyed for '09
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/News/Ne...x?newsId=68213
Buoyant Bailey hawk-eyed for '09

By Jason Phelan 5:33 PM Wed 24 September, 2008
Bailey_team_NAB06_246deep.jpg
Max Bailey celebrates with Lance Franklin, Mark Williams and Sam Mitchell in a 2006 NAB Cup match against Adelaide

HAWTHORN may already be faced with a ruck dilemma ahead of Saturday's grand final, but Max Bailey is intent on adding to the selection headache next season.

Simon Taylor and Brent Renouf are vying to accompany chief big man Robert Campbell for this season finale and Bailey is confident his rehabilitation from a second knee reconstruction will allow him to push his name forward from the start of 2009.

"The knee's coming along well. I'm at a pretty casual stage at the minute, I'm not really pushing to do too much because we go away on the break soon, but once I get back I'll get into a bit of running and push up from there," Bailey said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Bailey his stats courtesy of footywire:

Max Bailey #1 Hawthorn Hawks

Age: 21yr 11mth Games: 4 Born: October 23, 1986 Height: 206cm Weight: 104kg Position: Ruck Profile | Games | Career | Splits | Fan Forum | Player Comparison

No games played for Season 2008
Season/Career Highs

2008 Highs Career Highs
Disposals 0 10 v Essendon, 19th Aug 2006
Kicks 0 3 v Essendon, 19th Aug 2006
Handballs 0 7 v Essendon, 19th Aug 2006
Marks 0 6 v Essendon, 19th Aug 2006
Goals 0 0
Tackles 0 4 v Carlton, 13th Aug 2006
Hitouts 0 7 v North Melbourne, 26th Aug 2006 *

* Season/career high achieved two or more times. Match shown is the most recent game when season/career high was attained

Bailey!

He takes some steps
And bopped his head

He spins
(turns around)

Takes some steps

Yeah!

The method
Of stop, tap, spin

No talkin'
Bailey's walk

The method
Of stop, tap, spin

Of no talkin'
Bailey's walk

Bailey!

On parking lots and big highways
Daily!

It's crazy
Yeah!

The method
Of stop, tap, spin

Of no talkin'
Bailey's walk

The method
Of stop, tap, spin

[YOUTUBE]Yx6FTu3vgRA[/YOUTUBE]

gotta get this bloke on the park. 206cm bohemoth. will dominate in years 2 come. anyone heard his progress?
His injury status has been updated to 2-3 weeks, so he'll be at Box Hill soon and if our rucks keep performing at the rate they are, he'll get a gig in AFL hopefully before the end of the year.

His injury status has been updated to 2-3 weeks, so he'll be at Box Hill soon and if our rucks keep performing at the rate they are, he'll get a gig in AFL hopefully before the end of the year.

If his knee holds up he is a wildcard for a finals push and run in September IMO. Will be given a total of 4 matches at Box Hill (2 in the reserves) like Muston had. So if he can get back Round 15 week he could make his 2009debut vs. St. Kilda in Round 19. Play the last 4 matches of the season to see if he can provide us with much needed ruck strength.

Word around Box Hill (including from someone very official looking outside the function room) is that he will be playing in the magoos in 2 weeks

So I see Bailey is just about ready. That's great news. :thumbsu:

Wow I was actually being serious. I still wish him all the best whether you believe it or not.

Round 21 2009 - 22 August

Big Max is back and in a big way.

Recalled to the senior team he helps Hawthorn beat Richmond by 42 points at the G on the Saturday night and keep our finals hopes alive.

Max rucked in tandem with Brent Renouf against Angus Graham & Troy Simmonds of Richmond.

Did very well in his first game back.

Max replaced the much maligned Simon Taylor who was dropped. Robert Campbell also was omitted due to injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back