Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to Cockburn. But I am reliably informed they were at freo instead. I was heading down south from cockburn so didn’t make much sense schlepping back freo way.

I’ll try pop along on weds. If 7am is a typo I’ll be one grumpy bugger.

I was at Freo oval watching on today. Was a fun session to see the lads go through different drills for a few hours.
I Want More GIF

I headed down to training today and sat under the wonderful fig trees.

It was warm and had a decent breeze. I arrived just after 9 and training had already started. Looks like I missed the warm up.

Training consisted mostly of a number of small drills that players were rotated through. One rotation was midfield stoppages in the centre of the oval while other rotations were forwards and backs competing to move the ball forwards.

A large number of players were in full training with Walters splitting the drills with some timed laps. Freddy doing timed laps and looking really powerful. Brodie also doing some running. Fyfe wasn't doing much. He was just hanging out to the side of some drills and doing some stretches and looking jovial. Maybe load management which is common at this time of year.

Young Serong and Brayshaw look like locks to start in our midfield. O'MEARA who I was a little disappointed with his season in 23 looks in ripping nick and really strong. Serong Johnson Young were starting mids together in a number of drills.

IMO training wasn't elite by any means and often looked a little relaxed or even sloppy in kicking. It felt like they were just getting the run in their legs before Christmas.

Darcey doesn't look overweight, which some people would like to believe.

Out of all the newbies I'm most impressed with Delien. I might have spelt his name wrong. He looks composed in traffic and has a clear understanding of what to do during the drills. I'm not making any predictions however can see a strong player who has something about him.

Overall an ok session that didn't reach any great heights. I got a little distracted as my kids were running around and sometimes bashing into me for fun.

Peace and luv KH

I headed down to training today and sat under the wonderful fig trees.

It was warm and had a decent breeze. I arrived just after 9 and training had already started. Looks like I missed the warm up.

Training consisted mostly of a number of small drills that players were rotated through. One rotation was midfield stoppages in the centre of the oval while other rotations were forwards and backs competing to move the ball forwards.

A large number of players were in full training with Walters splitting the drills with some timed laps. Freddy doing timed laps and looking really powerful. Brodie also doing some running. Fyfe wasn't doing much. He was just hanging out to the side of some drills and doing some stretches and looking jovial. Maybe load management which is common at this time of year.

Young Serong and Brayshaw look like locks to start in our midfield. O'MEARA who I was a little disappointed with his season in 23 looks in ripping nick and really strong. Serong Johnson Young were starting mids together in a number of drills.

IMO training wasn't elite by any means and often looked a little relaxed or even sloppy in kicking. It felt like they were just getting the run in their legs before Christmas.

Darcey doesn't look overweight, which some people would like to believe.

Out of all the newbies I'm most impressed with Delien. I might have spelt his name wrong. He looks composed in traffic and has a clear understanding of what to do during the drills. I'm not making any predictions however can see a strong player who has something about him.

Overall an ok session that didn't reach any great heights. I got a little distracted as my kids were running around and sometimes bashing into me for fun.

Peace and luv KH
Yeah you got Delean wrong and Snuff will by paying a visit.

Interesting to hear you describe him as strong. He looked scrawny in the photos I'd seen, so it's good news. His in the running for a debut later in the year I reckon.

Our midfield collectively is looking so much better with Johnson emerging and Young transitioning. It looks complete, and with our rucks should be in for an impressive season. As good a group as we have ever had? Maybe yes.

Yeah you got Delean wrong and Snuff will by paying a visit.

Interesting to hear you describe him as strong. He looked scrawny in the photos I'd seen, so it's good news. His in the running for a debut later in the year I reckon.

Our midfield collectively is looking so much better with Johnson emerging and Young transitioning. It looks complete, and with our rucks should be in for an impressive season. As good a group as we have ever had? Maybe yes.
Stop being so optimistic Gav. You know this time of year lulls you into a false sense of “Freocandosomethingmeaningful”

Stop being so optimistic Gav. You know this time of year lulls you into a false sense of “Freocandosomethingmeaningful”
I am indeed on the last rung on my personal ladder of optimistic supporting. If they grubby it up again this season it will be over for me. I believe in second chances: what number are we at again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Matthew Boyd mic'd up clip is pretty interesting just to see some of the technique explained for pressure and tackling. Will be watching for players who get easily side stepped during the games.

Same as Freddy
Freddy's not injured. He's running laps and doing extra fitness work. Im not a fan of people aasking questions of players while they're in the middle of training in fact I hate it. Freddy was asked about why he wasnt joining in by multiple people when I watched training last ad he said he was simply doing extra fitness work as was O'Meara.

Last edited:
No idea what the club is up to today, silence on the internet.

I do know that Wednesday is the last session for the year, so that 7am start seems legit. Planning to go down and take a look. They have a Xmas party later that day (that's the Company Xmas party, no idea if the players are going). Thus, the early start might be to give extra time later for festivities.

But that's just speculation.
Last year the players had theirs at the SBH.
So I’d assume they ll just pick another pub in freo again

Glad to see we tell players to turn the hell around when they take a mark and look upfield.

Nothing more annoying than having someone open and the bloke with the ball is slowly wandering with his back to play to take his kick.

Also seems we train the shrug.

Glad to see we tell players to turn the hell around when they take a mark and look upfield.

Nothing more annoying than having someone open and the bloke with the ball is slowly wandering with his back to play to take his kick.

Also seems we train the shrug.

Boyd's strong fairly clear instructions also reassuring after Jaymie Graham's mic'd up clip - only a brief taste to be sure but terrifyingly inarticulate in that sample. Can anyone who's watched/seen more of his coaching comment?

Boyd's strong fairly clear instructions also reassuring after Jaymie Graham's mic'd up clip - only a brief taste to be sure but terrifyingly inarticulate in that sample. Can anyone who's watched/seen more of his coaching comment?
Well apparently he highly impressed collingwoods management during his presentation to them when they were looking for a new coach , only losing out to Craig McRae.

And has been well regarded generally across the industry so I’d probably take that over your brief take of his coaching credentials based on couple minutes of audio….

Last presser.

From FFC website

Fremantle’s final AFL training session for 2023 will be from 7am Wednesday 20 December at Victor George Kailis Oval, Cockburn ARC.

Members and fans are welcome to watch the session which will go for around two hours

Last presser.

From FFC website

Fremantle’s final AFL training session for 2023 will be from 7am Wednesday 20 December at Victor George Kailis Oval, Cockburn ARC.

Members and fans are welcome to watch the session which will go for around two hours
Sounds like it'll be some kicks and giggles for the fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back