Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That's correct.

But he also had an older and better midfield kicking it to him. And wasn't forced to play up to the wing to provide the tall option coming out of defence.
How many does Treacy kick in a current Swans squad minus LMD? I bet a nice looking number, relatively.

People comparing with stats can't factor in team dynamic in being a controlling factor.

Swans have a much stronger middle, and yet also people here know we have fwd/mid issues (which I largely believe is mid quality related) so anyways, I think both players are great options for development for any afl team. Treacy just offers more as a key forward imo, and it's not about just goals. Treacy will get his eventually, but will play better ground ball. Imo.

Just to say, your stats have swayed me. Not 100% but enough to support.

Goals come in all sorts of situations. The thing we need to build is a dangerous forward line. I think we already have that, but I can see that McDonald enhances it.
It’s obvious that McDonald is a better forward. A rookie pick against pick 4.
But you could have said the same thing about Hogan.
Both of those guys are 21-22 year olds so they both should have upside.
I’m more concerned with covering up the cracks, deflection that he wont
be the difference when our gameplan, coaches are the issue.
Contested marking is lucky to be 20 percent, so what happens when the ball
is mostly groundball?
How many does Treacy kick in a current Swans squad minus LMD? I bet a nice looking number, relatively.

People comparing with stats can't factor in team dynamic in being a controlling factor.

Swans have a much stronger middle, and yet also people here know we have fwd/mid issues (which I largely believe is mid quality related) so anyways, I think both players are great options for development for any afl team. Treacy just offers more as a key forward imo, and it's not about just goals. Treacy will get his eventually, but will play better ground ball. Imo.
We do have a midfield/forward issue.
But after Mundy retired and the way the game was changing, fairly obvious in
2022. Is it personal or the selections and coaching directive?
Then when the season was gone a few changes were made.
Nothing about Freo suggests that we can get back on track or become elite
besides the fact we are young and talented.
Hasn’t worked for GWS and they were more talented. But the changes at 2
clubs in the last few years has had instant turnarounds.

Ultimate guide to every AFL club’s under 23s heading into the 2024 season​

From breakout candidates to potential first-year stars and the young players on the edge, Glenn McFarlane delivers the ultimate verdict on the AFL’s next generation.

FREMANTLE

HEADLINE MAKER​

It’s hard to believe Luke Jackson doesn’t turn 23 until the day after the grand final. Had to deal with some ridiculous ‘value for money’ criticism after one game with the Dockers last year but finished as one of Fremantle’s most influential players with his ruck-forward role. He kicked 22 goals and averaged 15 disposals (elite for a ruckman). Could he kick 40 goals this year?

X-FACTOR​

Jye Amiss could be a star and Hayden Young is already well on the way to becoming one. If the Dockers are going to take that step up the ladder, it could come down to the performance of these two young guns. Amiss kicked 41.17 from 22 games last year and should be aiming for 50 goals in 2024. Young’s move into the midfield from halfback can add some class and depth to Freo’s engine room. He has great leadership skills.

Young Docker Neil Erasmus played 14 games in 2023. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Young Docker Neil Erasmus played 14 games in 2023. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

QUESTION MARK​

Neil Erasmus played 14 games last season, but while he is contracted until 2025, this looms as a big season for the wing/midfielder. West Coast wanted him in the 2021 national draft, but the Dockers swooped in first and took him at pick 10. Has he justified that faith? Not yet. We’ve seen glimpses (26 disposals v Collingwood), but he needs to get more of the ball.

KEEP IT UP​

Happy to buy some shares in Matthew Johnson in 2024 off the back of his 18 games in his second season. Love it when he gets the ball in his hand (73% kicking efficiency). Heath Chapman had no luck with his body last year and can hopefully get back to his best, while Brandon Walker is on track to become the intercept defender the Dockers crave.

YOUNG TALENT TIME​

The Dockers are quietly confident they have a bargain in pick 35 Cooper Simpson. The Dandenong Stingrays captain had a tough under-18 season, but he has great promise, which is why the Dockers traded up for the inside mid-half forward.

is mostly groundball?

I think you have touched on a really important point here.
There is a lot of fans on here that are in the more optimistic camp that think we are on the brink of a long term window.
They are probably correct to a degree.
But the only thing supporting that belief is that we are just so talented from ages 20-24 on the list that, well - no matter what, we are going to be good.

We are in for a rude awakening over the next few years if we think that is enough and we just need to rest on our laurels, be patient and wait to get good.
It certainly doesn’t work like that in this comp anymore. As you rightly said, GWS and GC have both brought in more talent than us over the last decade and where did it get them? Talent is about 10% of the overall equation. Are we elite in the other 90%?

In my view, We won’t be winning the flag without one of the boldest and most innovative coaching teams in the AFL. The comp is just too even and if anything stacked mildly against us winning anything. Whether JL and his team are that bold and innovative coaching group remains to be seen. The signs so far are not great.
We don’t want a Leon Cameron scenario developing where a lower than average coach had changed of the most talented list in the league and ultimately failed to win the flag. In hindsight the giants should have sacked him 6 years ago.

From breakout candidates to potential first-year stars and the young players on the edge, Glenn McFarlane delivers the ultimate verdict on the AFL’s next generation.

FREMANTLE

HEADLINE MAKER​

It’s hard to believe Luke Jackson doesn’t turn 23 until the day after the grand final. Had to deal with some ridiculous ‘value for money’ criticism after one game with the Dockers last year but finished as one of Fremantle’s most influential players with his ruck-forward role. He kicked 22 goals and averaged 15 disposals (elite for a ruckman). Could he kick 40 goals this year?

X-FACTOR​

Jye Amiss could be a star and Hayden Young is already well on the way to becoming one. If the Dockers are going to take that step up the ladder, it could come down to the performance of these two young guns. Amiss kicked 41.17 from 22 games last year and should be aiming for 50 goals in 2024. Young’s move into the midfield from halfback can add some class and depth to Freo’s engine room. He has great leadership skills.

QUESTION MARK​

Neil Erasmus played 14 games last season, but while he is contracted until 2025, this looms as a big season for the wing/midfielder. West Coast wanted him in the 2021 national draft, but the Dockers swooped in first and took him at pick 10. Has he justified that faith? Not yet. We’ve seen glimpses (26 disposals v Collingwood), but he needs to get more of the ball.

KEEP IT UP​

Happy to buy some shares in Matthew Johnson in 2024 off the back of his 18 games in his second season. Love it when he gets the ball in his hand (73% kicking efficiency). Heath Chapman had no luck with his body last year and can hopefully get back to his best, while Brandon Walker is on track to become the intercept defender the Dockers crave.

YOUNG TALENT TIME​

The Dockers are quietly confident they have a bargain in pick 35 Cooper Simpson. The Dandenong Stingrays captain had a tough under-18 season, but he has great promise, which is why the Dockers traded up for the inside mid-half forward.
Yeah I'm totally shocked a 2nd year midfielder who was sub in 6 of his 14 games doesn't have high disposal numbers.

Who are these articles for? Why is it so hard for journalists to do a good job?

It's because they don't have access to the full champion data product, they have very simple numbers to work with, including as much as they can to add authority to their writing. It's why you'll see ages, heights, averages quoted. It's all they've got. Especially when it's a "hurry up and give me something to pad out the content so every club is featured" piece.

You could have two articles written on the same say saying "Gryan Miers doesn't get enough of the ball to be a midfielder full time" and another saying "Miers creates the most goals for other team mates/has the highest damage disposal by foot of anyone in the league"

..... and they would both be right!

Probably closer to a Hayden McLean type return if he played for the swans, so basically very similar to what he provides now

There is a reason Logan went at pick 4, he is a class above

is mostly groundball?

Hogan had a navicular Injury that in hindsight we should have never taken on

We rehabbed him for 2 years, GWS finsihed off the rehab and now it's paying dividends

If Logan gets a serious injury this year then I wouldn't take the risk

Hogan had a navicular Injury that in hindsight we should have never taken on

We rehabbed him for 2 years, GWS finsihed off the rehab and now it's paying dividends

If Logan gets a serious injury this year then I wouldn't take the risk
I was worried by that injury and at what cost.
But it was his off field decisions, mental welfare and wasn’t a good
fit with the list and state.
Same issues with always being impatient and developing our own forwards.
Maybe McDonald is the next Kennedy, but we are not WC who always have
good key positions.

Question for the more knowledgeable!

Have we ever had more upside players than we do this preseason?

Ie players who have a genuine chance to improve significantly on 2023… in a way we win more games because of this

Upside players are the ones that move us up the ladder and into finals if our good players keep performing.

Thoughts on the following as genuine Upside players?

Sturt
O’Meara
Darcy (vs 23 injured darcy)
Chapman
Fyfe
Sharp
Taberner (refer Darcy)
Erasmus
O’Driscoll (bring back 22 NOD!)
Frederick
Treacy
Johnson
Walker

Brodie?
Emmett?
Others?
Who to add, who to remove?

Thanks all for keeping the flame alive over summer too - learning a bucketload from most….;) of the posts!

Ie players who have a genuine chance to improve significantly on 2023… in a way we win more games because of this

Upside players are the ones that move us up the ladder and into finals if our good players keep performing.

Sturt
O’Meara
Chapman
Fyfe
Sharp
Taberner (refer Darcy)
Erasmus
Frederick
Treacy
Johnson
Walker

Brodie?
Emmett?
Others?

Thanks all for keeping the flame alive over summer too - learning a bucketload from most….;) of the posts!
I don't know if we can refer to Tabs or Fyfe as "upside" given the extremely low probability that they'll actually be able to come back injury free. They're more of a "bonus".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sturt
O’Meara
Chapman
Fyfe
Sharp
Taberner (refer Darcy)
Erasmus
Frederick
Treacy
Johnson
Walker

Brodie?
Emmett?
Others?

I guess you are not wrong about a lot of these guys but you can then do this exercise on pretty much every club on the league and get a similar sized list.

I wouldn’t be counting on much from the likes of JOM, Tabs or Fyfe.
Chapman Johnson and Sturt are probably the 3 I would have with the biggest upside from 2023 if we get a bit of luck

Yeah I'm totally shocked a 2nd year midfielder who was sub in 6 of his 14 games doesn't have high disposal numbers.

Such a basic error. Also it follows on from a comment about Jackson's youth. I don't mind there being a question mark over Erasmus. That's the stage he is at. But for now he is all potential and upside.

Sturt
O’Meara
Chapman
Fyfe
Sharp
Taberner (refer Darcy)
Erasmus
Frederick
Treacy
Johnson
Walker

Brodie?
Emmett?
Others?

Here is the list of our players coming into their 4th/5th season on the list. These are often the 'break-out' years. I have included Sturt and Emmett because they fit the age profile.
I don't know if we have more people in the break-out years than other clubs but at least it's more than West Coast.
To me it's a very promising line-up.
1Sam Sturt12 May 0023yr189cm74kg18220000Peninsula Grammar/Dandenong U18#17 National 2018
32Michael Frederick17 May 0023yr180cm65kg58630000Portland/Woodville-West Torrens#61 National 2019
3Caleb Serong9 Feb 0123yr179cm88kg801935000Warragul/Geelong Grammar/Gippsland U18#8 National 2019AA: 2023; Rising Star: 2020; AFLCA Young: 2021; AFLPA 1st: 2020
26Hayden Young11 Apr 0123yr188cm83kg57210000Somerville/Mornington SC/Dandenong U18#7 National 2019
14rJeremy Sharp13 Aug 0122yr187cm79kg2371000Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle#27 National 2019
9Luke Jackson29 Sep 0122yr199cm94kg755211000Willetton JFC/Bullcreek Leeming JFC/East Fremantle#3 National 2019Rising Star: 2021; AA40: 2023; Prem: 2021
18Tom Emmett30 Nov 0122yr186cm88kg240000Payneham Norwood Union/Sturt#41 National 2022
5Heath Chapman31 Jan 0222yr193cm81kg2610000Joondalup Kinross JFC/Prendiville College/West Perth#14 National 2020
30Nathan O'Driscoll17 May 0221yr187cm78kg22110000Northam Saints JFC/Perth#27 National 2020
35Josh Treacy4 Aug 0221yr193cm95kg36290000Cohuna/Bendigo U18#7 Rookie 2020
31Brandon Walker17 Oct 0221yr183cm75kg4510000Kardinya JFC/East Fremantle#50 National 2020

Cockburn just need to hurry up with its development and make it look attractive.
So many empty lots around the oval and other side of the ARC
Other side of the ARC is basically taken up by the age care unit.At least that is what I think it is.
As every one knows, right now is not the time for developments to go ahead.
But , all that aside, the club is in the best spot.

Such a basic error. Also it follows on from a comment about Jackson's youth. I don't mind there being a question mark over Erasmus. That's the stage he is at. But for now he is all potential and upside.
It's meaningless to single him out like that. No doubt he hasn't proved anything but that literally explains 95% of 1st and 2nd year players. There is nothing interesting in putting his name there.

NoD would have been a better lazy candidate. At least he had some form in 2022 that he couldn't meet in 2023.

It's a junk article to fill a page.

Here is the list of our players coming into their 4th/5th season on the list. These are often the 'break-out' years. I have included Sturt and Emmett because they fit the age profile.
I don't know if we have more people in the break-out years than other clubs but at least it's more than West Coast.
1Sam Sturt12 May 0023yr189cm74kg18220000Peninsula Grammar/Dandenong U18#17 National 2018
32Michael Frederick17 May 0023yr180cm65kg58630000Portland/Woodville-West Torrens#61 National 2019
3Caleb Serong9 Feb 0123yr179cm88kg801935000Warragul/Geelong Grammar/Gippsland U18#8 National 2019AA: 2023; Rising Star: 2020; AFLCA Young: 2021; AFLPA 1st: 2020
26Hayden Young11 Apr 0123yr188cm83kg57210000Somerville/Mornington SC/Dandenong U18#7 National 2019
14rJeremy Sharp13 Aug 0122yr187cm79kg2371000Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle#27 National 2019
9Luke Jackson29 Sep 0122yr199cm94kg755211000Willetton JFC/Bullcreek Leeming JFC/East Fremantle#3 National 2019Rising Star: 2021; AA40: 2023; Prem: 2021
18Tom Emmett30 Nov 0122yr186cm88kg240000Payneham Norwood Union/Sturt#41 National 2022
5Heath Chapman31 Jan 0222yr193cm81kg2610000Joondalup Kinross JFC/Prendiville College/West Perth#14 National 2020
30Nathan O'Driscoll17 May 0221yr187cm78kg22110000Northam Saints JFC/Perth#27 National 2020
31Brandon Walker17 Oct 0221yr183cm75kg4510000Kardinya JFC/East Fremantle#50 National 2020
As a reference, in the same bracket the Bin Chickens have Jai Culley, Callum Jamieson, Harry Edwards, Luke Edwards, Zane Trew, Tyler Brockman and Brady Hough. Oof. :$

What I wish would be for Sturt to have a full uninterrupted year or three. He has all the tools and if he was 100% dedicated he could be that perfect 3rd or 4th tall like Fritch.

FREMANTLE

HEADLINE MAKER​

X-FACTOR​

QUESTION MARK​

KEEP IT UP​

YOUNG TALENT TIME​

bloody tough on Erasmus IMO

he’s a Victorian based HS journo, enough said

Remove this Banner Ad

Back