Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say, I'm not sure I buy the "players don't want to come to Cockburn" argument. It's a very nice facility, and you can easily live in Freo (wonderful lifestyle) and just pop down there for your day job, taking 20 minutes or less in the car. It's not like players need to live in Cockburn. Heaps of nice spots within 30 minutes.

Heaps nicer places than Freo that are closer to the facility

Heaps nicer places than Freo that are closer to the facility
My family's lived in the Freo area since the 50s, so I have a proper soft spot for it! But yeah, heaps of wonderful lifestyle spots for young blokes playing footy in the area. Beats the crap out of Melbourne and Sydney at the very least.

And to be honest, I'm living close to the wet toast training ground at the moment, and buggered if there aren't heaps of wonderful spots around there too. Perth's really a great place to live at the moment.

My family's lived in the Freo area since the 50s, so I have a proper soft spot for it! But yeah, heaps of wonderful lifestyle spots for young blokes playing footy in the area. Beats the crap out of Melbourne and Sydney at the very least.

And to be honest, I'm living close to the wet toast training ground at the moment, and buggered if there aren't heaps of wonderful spots around there too. Perth's really a great place to live at the moment.

There are so many great places to live in Perth. It really is a paradise.

It would be hard to place a value on him. Higher than McDonald imo. He isn't worth what Judd was, but I wouldn't trade him for less due to our teams needs and my belief that he will be a 60 goal a year forward for a decade.
Everything you've said about Amiss could easily be applied to McDonald as well.

Sydney would easily get more for McDonald than we would for Amiss. Value wise they're similar imo but Freo is soft at the trade table.

Anybody know when the deadline is for listing one ( or two ) of our train on players?

No doubt the answer is somewhere on these forums but I cant be arsed looking for it - not when there are so many incredibly intelligent, well-informed and good-looking contributors to this board.

Anybody know when the deadline is for listing one ( or two ) of our train on players?

No doubt the answer is somewhere on these forums but I cant be arsed looking for it - not when there are so many incredibly intelligent, well-informed and good-looking contributors to this board.

February 19th

We also can’t sign anyone until 15th January (Monday next week), not that I believe that was ever the plan.

Gotta say, I'm not sure I buy the "players don't want to come to Cockburn" argument. It's a very nice facility, and you can easily live in Freo (wonderful lifestyle) and just pop down there for your day job, taking 20 minutes or less in the car. It's not like players need to live in Cockburn. Heaps of nice spots within 30 minutes.
It's a total non-factor.

Like you say, I'm sure most players live in Coogee/East Freo/Attadale etc. Great suburbs and a short commute.

Would you have traded Hayden young (a year ago) for a first and a second?

Logan - 2020 pick 4, showing great signs at AFL level

(2022) Young - 2019 pick 7, showing great signs at AFL level

There's no way I would've traded Young for that, people who are offering anything less than 2 1sts are absolutely dreaming
Cerra went for pick 5 and change.

We should offer a similar value for Logan.

Cerra went for pick 5 and change.

We should offer a similar value for Logan.
Using the AFL Draft Value Index to compare, which IMO is about as valid as a comparison as any, turns out you are talk about exactly the same thing ie '2x 1st rounders' = 'pick 5 + change'

Pick 5 = 1878pts
Pick 36= 502pts
Total = 2380pts

Pick 12 = 1268pts
Pick 15 = 1112pts
Total = 2380pts

Ok team the below comes from a mate who had a new years BBQ with some one high up in the club. Most of it is pretty predictable but some not…..

“Cooper Simpson walk up start to replace Lachie Schulz. Jeremy Sharp will come onto the wing as a walk up start. Ollie Murphy two years off.
Therefore Chapman remains in the backline. Before recruiting Sharp he was coming to the wing. Confidence fyfe will be fit and eager to play him. The forward experiment failed, he won't play there again. He will only play in the middle. When he does so switkowski will play as a sweeping defender. Jeremy Sharp could have gone to Collingwood or I think the other was port but chose freo. So culturally we are strong.”

….I super excited that the club thinks Simpson can play round one and that Fyfe will be fit and firing. Also will be interested if anyone going to training notices if Switter is doing any training with the backs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok team the below comes from a mate who had a new years BBQ with some one high up in the club. Most of it is pretty predictable but some not…..

“Cooper Simpson walk up start to replace Lachie Schulz. Jeremy Sharp will come onto the wing as a walk up start. Ollie Murphy two years off.
Therefore Chapman remains in the backline. Before recruiting Sharp he was coming to the wing. Confidence fyfe will be fit and eager to play him. The forward experiment failed, he won't play there again. He will only play in the middle. When he does so switkowski will play as a sweeping defender. Jeremy Sharp could have gone to Collingwood or I think the other was port but chose freo. So culturally we are strong.”

….I super excited that the club thinks Simpson can play round one and that Fyfe will be fit and firing. Also will be interested if anyone going to training notices if Switter is doing any training with the backs

I think he means switta will be sweeping the back of the centre bounces as a defensive midfielder to prevent clearances - which balances out fyfes offensive focus and lack of defensive pressure in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he means switta will be sweeping the back of the centre bounces as a defensive midfielder to prevent clearances - which balances out fyfes offensive focus and lack of defensive pressure in the middle

Could be, I could have interpreted it incorrectly

From a balance perspective it makes sense. Fyfe can focus wholly on ball winning and getting it out to a receiver, while Switta is insurance in case we lose the ball. His first few steps to shut down opposition ball carriers will be crucial

Actually a fair bit to be excited about there. I would hope though that they haven't gone "Fyfe never goes forward again". Just because it didn't work full time doesn't mean that he doesn't have to go down there from time to time.

Actually a fair bit to be excited about there. I would hope though that they haven't gone "Fyfe never goes forward again". Just because it didn't work full time doesn't mean that he doesn't have to go down there from time to time.
He could drift forward sure, and probably will :p also shows they have trust in the kids to hold down the forward roles

Completely agree. If we take off the purple tinted glasses for a sec, it would be hard to see how Sydney would value McDonald any differently to what we would expect to get for Amiss. Two firsts would be the minimum to get to done unfortunately

Two firsts isn't enough for Amiss, it's enough for McDonald.

I wouldn't trade Amiss for pick #2, pick #4 and pick #5

But Logan shouldn't be compared to Amiss, Amiss is a freak, a totally different creature.

It's the normal process in regards to any transaction that there will be people who will consider any price too much and any trade too expensive for a player, there are those who think the price can't be high enough for a player (see two lines above) and there won't be a happy medium ground. The player is either good enough to warrant the high price or he isn't, the player is what you get and throwing more first round picks at the player doesn't make them better.

Two firsts isn't enough for Amiss, it's enough for McDonald.

I wouldn't trade Amiss for pick #2, pick #4 and pick #5

But Logan shouldn't be compared to Amiss, Amiss is a freak, a totally different creature.

It's the normal process in regards to any transaction that there will be people who will consider any price too much and any trade too expensive for a player, there are those who think the price can't be high enough for a player (see two lines above) and there won't be a happy medium ground. The player is either good enough to warrant the high price or he isn't, the player is what you get and throwing more first round picks at the player doesn't make them better.
I still have a salary cap problem with chasing McDonald. Darcy and Jackson have taken the cream and a bit more, the young and not so young stars on big contracts have taken plenty and Brayshaw needs to be re-signed. Serong, Young and co won't be cheap re-signings. Fyfe and Walters will be around for two more years, but aren't on big $s. I can't see too much left for McDonald if we are putting in the big effort = big $s to get him. Brayshaw could be a salary cap clearance loss and perhaps a few others. Stick with what we have got and use the 3 first rounders next year on young talent.

I still have a salary cap problem with chasing McDonald. Darcy and Jackson have taken the cream and a bit more, the young and not so young stars on big contracts have taken plenty and Brayshaw needs to be re-signed. Serong, Young and co won't be cheap re-signings. Fyfe and Walters will be around for two more years, but aren't on big $s. I can't see too much left for McDonald if we are putting in the big effort = big $s to get him. Brayshaw could be a salary cap clearance loss and perhaps a few others. Stick with what we have got and use the 3 first rounders next year on young talent.

I believe the salary cap is lifting by a third by the end of 2027, the talk is that clubs can field multiple million dollar players each - and I don't think we have anyone signed on seven figures.

We've been locking away heaps of players on long term deals. Our strategy is obviously planned well ahead so if we're tapping up players like McDonald then I fully believe we have the cap space.

I don't think we lost players like Logue and Acres for no reason. We lost them because they weren't in the "core" group we wanted to keep.

I don't know how you have a problem when you don't have any of the actual numbers and do not manage the salary cap of an AFL club. Your 'problem' is imaginary.

That is exciting reading, especially re Simpson and Sharp.

If Fyfe is officially a one position player it puts his selection in a different category, not unlike Brodie. Fantastic if he is indeed that beast in the midfield.

The Switkowski gambit sounds like a bit of unexpected and welcome creative thinking by the coach.

I like it. A sound tactic to get a super fast guy covering the ground for Fyfe in case he doesn't win it out of the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back