Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper looks neat enough from what I’ve seen, but is untested and needs another preseason before he gets a start in the ones.
Was sitting with Draper's mother and the parents of Conrad Williams at match sim today. Josh played well today it was easily the best I have seen him play all pre-season. Infact in general I thought today was a massive improvement on last weekend (thank god). Last weekend I thought we looked like a bottom 4 team. Awesome spectator turnout today too.

I’ve never understood why they do possibles vs probables. Makes it too one sided. I read that’s what wc did this week.

The only reason I can think of is they want the players who will play round one getting used to how they play together

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Write up from Desmond Baccini on FB…
Went to the intraclub scratch match this morning. A good crowd were in attendance considering the weather. The 8.00 am start rather than the usual 9.00am helped. Two teams battled it out, one in purple jumpers the other in white. Although the white team won quite easily by approx 10 goals, I was more interested in the way they both went about it, re the ball movement and structure. The first half was quite good highlighted by some good midfield breakaway's by Serong, Brodie, and Youngy. The second half however was more impressive especially the 3rd quarter. The improvement was soured a little or rather a lot when Chappy came off just before half time with a slight limp. He looked quite upset and was later consoled by a couple of teammates on the sidelines when he returned from the changerooms. I have been watching him at training for most of the pre season and thought how strong he has looked and how well he has played. We later heard that he has a hamstring strain and is going for scans on Monday. Fingers crossed it is only a slight strain. Getting back to the game; the possible add on players Van Rooyen, Beatie, and Voss had a chance to show their wares under match type conditions. Voss kicked a few behinds in the first half but in the second snagged a couple of goals. I like him as he presents and makes himself a target, plus he is built like a tank. Most of the regulars watching reckon he should get one of the add on spots or spot depending on what the club wants. Speaking of tall fwds, Amiss, Taberner and Treacy were the others that I focused on. Tabs wasn't as prominent today as he has been during the pre season match sims. Treacy likewise,however he did snag a good goal. Amiss went better than the others this morning. He has a huge tank. At one stage he was up near the wing the next minute he pops up in the fwd pocket tackling and taking a shot. I reckon he kicked 3 or so goals. Luke Jackson our roving ruck or rather ruck rover, forward, ruckman had a good one. Took two really good marks over Luke Ryan within a few minutes. I know there was a height difference but it still looked good. Luke Ryan played well throughout as usual in the back half. Walters seems fully fit playing mainly within the 50 meter arc. Johnson, Aish, Fredericks along with Will Brodie ( close to best on ground) played really well. Sharp was good on a wing but still turns the ball over. O'Driscoll was just ok. Twice Fredericks got fwd side of him and at one stage had a 15m gap on him. Result: Twice Fredericks got the ball into the fwd 50 resulting in one goal. Pearce was good in defence and was quite aggressive. Jordan Clarke running from half back stood out. Fyfe only played a half. On managed minutes along with Sturt. Fyfe has a presence about him when is the center square. It must give you confidence if you standing there alongside him. Darcy played, which was good to see and had a lot less leg strapping which was good to see. At training over the last few weeks he had strapping everywhere. In summary, the ball movement movement through the middle was pretty slick at times especially during the second half. Compared to the many match sims I have watched, this scratch match seemed to emulate a proper match, especially time wise. Some of the younger less experienced players were caught out on occasions being caught with the ball and turning the ball over. The players were quite spent at the end, can't blame though due to the conditions. I must say the fwds and fwd set up looked really good at times this morning. Next weeks intra club will be interesting. Again fingers and toes crossed for Chappy. To me ( I 'm no physio) it looked like a minor strain. Cheers. GO DOCKERS

Hmmm. I've been banging on about Flagmantle 2025 for a fair while now. I'm a big picture kind of guy. I've never seen a Fremantle team in history more stacked with talent across the lines. Yes, there's no Pav, Mundy and McPharlin, but Amiss, MJ, and Cox are going to give it a fair crack. When we use our first rounders to get Kosi Pickett as he realises Melbourne is cooked culturally and performance wise, our small star forward need has been met and there are no other holes in the team except experience. But by end of 2025 they will all have about 50 games more. And if JLo can't extract the best from all that talent, someone else will and very quickly (but I feel like we are Richmond in February 2017). Sit back and enjoy peoples...
Fyfe not cracking a mention in either is interesting.

Pretty simple, you didn't state how you knew.
Mattis117, suggestion for you so you don’t risk coming across as a bit of a dick. (feel free to ignore if i have misunderstood how you meant your comment btw.)

Bit of gratitude first
(thanks for getting us the info)
then curiosity
(how did you find out?)
then letting him know what you’d like (sources really important on a forum this one to stop misinformation flying around) might keep our poster posting what he finds out - which in this case is the good oil, within minutes of it happening. And as importantly, wanting to keep being part of our group.

Your choice but

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Patrick Voss quick? Sounds like he could compete with Sturt for a spot.

Edit: Nevermind. I had a look at the Essendon board and he seems to be a decent VFL player but has limitations such as contested marking, speed, agility and reading the play.

Last edited:

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF

Very interested to see how we cover Chapman in the backline, do we go small and play all of Wagner, Aish, Walker and Clark? Or does McDonald come in and Ryan rolls up the HB to play the intercept role?

5 weeks and one day to our first game, Hopefully the hammy will be a minor 2-3 weeks and he is ok for round 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is Patrick Voss quick? Sounds like he could compete with Sturt for a spot.

Edit: Nevermind. I had a look at the Essendon board and he seems to be a decent VFL player but has limitations such as contested marking, speed, agility and reading the play.
From what I’ve seen he is about as L4L as Corbett as can be.

Corbett due to that hip injury played more KPF at Peel and with Fremantle but at his best(full fitness) moves up and down the ground like a mid forward.

Voss is almost identical. Seems to have good endurance and good on the lead.

Given where things are at I don’t mind a L4L replacement for Corbett. The two of them can shoot it out for a Rookie list spot next year. For this year Corbett is out injured so Voss is solid replacement. Very different player to Frederick, Banfield and Sturt.

Freo have obviously identified areas of need in small forward (Beattie), key forward (SVR) and Half back/Wing (McKenzie). Beattie has shown bits and pieces but not enough it seems, and McKenzie well he came injury prone and not surprisingly did a hamstring whilst training. SVR is raw and one to keep an eye on.

Seems we will select Voss as replacement for Corbett and keep another list spot up our sleeve for the MSD.

My problem with the mid season draft is after the first 7-8 picks the talent pool is no good unless a specific mature age player like Pickett is taken to fill a specific need. If we are going well and inside the top 8 then it means the likelihood of selecting a decent young player is very low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back