Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A sub like Brodie has the potential to change things at the coalface. If we’re behind when he comes on, then presumably trying to change things at err umm the contest might be an avenue back into the game.

Presuming of course that we’re not losing despite being on top of clearances.

Like it or not, our game plan seems pretty reliant on winning clearances for field position and weight of forward entries.

Brodie replacing a tiring Fyfe could give us different looks in the midfield (they’re both bulls but play different ways…creator v bulldozer) and potentially have more impact than, say, Banners coming on for Fyfe and then JOM moving from HFF into midfield.

Of course, it wouldn’t give you the scope to cover an injury that a more versatile player like Banners would.

It’s a risk v reward equation. Knowing how conservative JL is, Banners might as well vest up now if it is between those two.

Erasmus would make a good choice for sub as he offers a mid/forward role, but he needs bulk game time to aid his development.

Last edited:
A sub like Brodie has the potential to change things at the coalface. If we’re behind when he comes on, then presumably trying to change things at err umm the contest might be an avenue back into the game.

Like it or not, our game plan seems pretty reliant on winning clearances for field position and weight of forward entries.

Brodie replacing a tiring Fyfe could give us different looks in the midfield (they’re both bulls but play different ways…creator v bulldozer) and potentially have more impact than, say, Banners coming on for Fyfe and then JOM moving from HFF into midfield.

Of course, it wouldn’t give you the scope to cover an injury that a more versatile player like Banners would.

It’s a risk v reward equation. Knowing how conservative JL is, Banners might as well vest up now if it is between those two.

Erasmus would make a good choice for sub as he offers a mid/forward role, but he needs bulk game time to aid his development.

I think the complete opposite.

I think you want your sub to be able to run through the middle, and provide run and carry. Brodie can't do that.

Simpson would be a good sub I think.

Emmett is the other one who I think would do the role well.

Last edited:

Atm, unless the channel is in the YouTube partnership program, all I'm doing is padding YouTube's own pockets heh.
I get your following points on player limitations tho.

I think footage like this is classed as fan made and I'd outside the domain of legalese, revealing as it could be.

As said, I'll let ya know ;)

Happy for Freo-run accounts to chime in here too.
I thought you were videoing the oval and those people kept getting in the way?

Brodie and Fyfe can play in the same team just give them extended rests and let them dominate for 5-10 mins at a time I don’t mind JOM as sub because we’ve seen he can play fwd and can play midfield

If we have ruck dominance it doesn't matter what fast, skinny short people we have opposing our giants in the middle. We just need our guys getting first hands to the ball, either from elite ruck or because they are elite mids at that specific thing.

We can't afford to have our players getting congested though, last year Brodie's opponent was letting him attack the ball and staying in space - clumping everyone up and then Brodie's opponent got a handball receive and cleared without pressure.

I think the complete opposite.

I think you want your sub to be able to run through the middle, and provide run and carry. Brodie can't do that.

Simpson would be a good sub I think.

Emmett is the other one who I think would do the role well.
Good point about using the sub to inject some run through the middle.

I wonder if NOD will be considered for that reason.

Emmett would make a good sub too.

Erasmus is wasted as a sub

Bring him on in the 4th and he's still slower than all other players on the field even though they've played 3 quarters
Erasmus has plenty of speed. He's right near the top in repeat sprints at the club. He can look slow on a football field at times because when he goes on long runs and is running to the wrong spots he uses excess energy, but in terms of pure sprints he's far from slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way, are you really still pushing that BS? Let it go Freo Leo. Erasmus is not slow.
I don't think he is overly fast, but what he does have is football smarts. He knows where to be and how to get the ball.
I like him, but have doubts about his depth of kicking.
Sometimes have football smarts makes up for lack of pace. I don't dee Brodie as being overly quick either, but again, he knows how to find the ball and what to do with it when he gets it.

No way, are you really still pushing that BS? Let it go Freo Leo. Erasmus is not slow.
Ive only been down to training twice so if anyone's seen any different please post but both time i was there it was Erasmus leading the pace in repeat sprinting with a midfield group. Early on in he sprints Johnson was the fastest.

Ive only been down to training twice so if anyone's seen any different please post but both time i was there it was Erasmus leading the pace in repeat sprinting with a midfield group. Early on in he sprints Johnson was the fastest.
I think this is what the original post was inferring more than anything.

Erasmus' biggest weapon is his endurance and ability to grind everyone else down.

An opinion is not a fact! some posters here are claiming he’s leading the sprints at training. What is your evidence to show he is slow?
Watching him play footy for the last 3 years

Watching Brodie burn him off in match Sims

Watching him be burnt off in AFL games

He's slow

Watching him play footy for the last 3 years

Watching Brodie burn him off in match Sims

Watching him be burnt off in AFL games

He's slow
Thats why he was also one of the best junior runners over 100 metres in the state junior athletics is it? His speed over 20 metres is only an issue after going on long runs and when he exerts too much energy running to the wrong spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back