Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks particularly now with Day and Moores whole season under a cloud. That’s two of their top 5 players under a cloud. A long term injury to Lewis or Sicily and it’s scary hours for that team

Blanck is gone for the year and Jiath is out for 10-12 weeks.

hawks are bottom two material

Was talking about positions in the forward line, if we’re talking mids, it’s Serong, AB, Fyfe, young inside, Johnson and Sharp outside, that’s 6, Switta and JOM can both play Fwd/Mid, I noticed they are trying JOM on a wing as well in the last intra. So potentially that’s 8, Ras and Simpson need to push past them for the Fwd/mid role, or Sturt and/or Emmett for a fwd role.
Knowing our brains trust and their fear of how inexperienced we are, I think Switta and JOM will get the nod over Ras, Emmett, Banfield and Simpson.
Essentially JOM takes Schultz’s spot and Fyfe takes JOMs spot.
I don’t agree with it, think we’re better off having a pure forward in Emmett with Jackson and Switta making up the 7th forward position when not in the Ruck or midfield.
Mind you, Erasmus was taken from the draft with the MID/FWD wrapper on him.

Mind you, Erasmus was taken from the draft with the MID/FWD wrapper on him.
Agreed, and that’s his best avenue into the team on a weekly basis, I just don’t know how many MID/FWDs we can play, Jackson is FWD/RUCk/MID, Switta is FWD/MID and now they seem to be turning JOM into a FWD/MID/WING. There’s only so many you can squeeze in, eventually you start pushing out pure forwards which is not the way to build a dangerous forward line.

Love to hear this, have been wanting this for years. The hallmark of Ross Lyons successful sides was that they tore strips off each other at training and then went out and did it to other sides in the real thing.
As a member, at a minimum I just want to see a team that competes with ferocious intensity for as many games a possible for as long as possible. That’s got nothing to do with talent or tactics or things like that.
Can forgive an odd down week then but losing 13 first quarters in a row (or whatever it was) is not so easily explained away

Inside mids with skill: Young, Johnson and Brayshaw. Maybe O'Meara.

Pure shovels: Fyfe, Serong, Brodie and Erasmus

90%+ of CBA should be 2 from group one and 1 from group two.
Serong has no inside skills? Hmmm. There are quite a few games (well lots actually) where the vision doesnt seem to support this.

He’s our shortest priced brownlow fancy for 24 for a reason!

The best midfields are playing way beyond 3 players in a game. Seven would be around what you want.

In a best 22, the typical balance would be 7 backs, 8 mids, 7 forwards. If you are going to rotate a couple of guys through mid/forward then you could go with 9 mids and 6 forwards. Currently it looks like Darcy, Fyfe, Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Sharp, Johnson, JOM and one of Ras/Simpson (making 9). Then in the forwards you have only 6. The 3 tall forwards look like Jackson,
Amiss, Treacy leaving Sonny, Freddy, Sturt, Emmett and which ever one of Ras/Simpson (5 players) fighting for 3 spots. I’ve left Banners out of that which is harsh and also left Brodie out of the midfield mix but either could get a spot. Weekly heavy pressure for spots ensures nobody can relax and is why I’m super excited for 2024

Edit: Note under this scenario you still effectively get 7 forwards but it’s two guys playing half mid/half forward who I’ve included in the mid field mix but they spend time forward.

Edit 2: sorry missed
Switter in forward line mix

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Serong has no inside skills? Hmmm. There are quite a few games (well lots actually) where the vision doesnt seem to support this.

He’s our shortest priced brownlow fancy for 24 for a reason!
He labelled him a shovel because he has excellent inside mid skills, outside skills (compare to Brayshaw and particularly Young) can be hit or miss though

Dog hungry competitiveness is what made Lachie Schultz Lachie Schultz. Feel pretty confident Erasmus will win everyone over when he does the same.
It's not about winning over, I like him but I just struggle to see a path for him locking in a spot in the best team particularly if he doesnt genuinely lock down a second position.

Agreed, and that’s his best avenue into the team on a weekly basis, I just don’t know how many MID/FWDs we can play, Jackson is FWD/RUCk/MID, Switta is FWD/MID and now they seem to be turning JOM into a FWD/MID/WING. There’s only so many you can squeeze in, eventually you start pushing out pure forwards which is not the way to build a dangerous forward line.
Pending availability of course. Right now Switkowski's availability is on shaky ground.

Dog hungry competitiveness is what made Lachie Schultz Lachie Schultz. Feel pretty confident Erasmus will win everyone over when he does the same.
You aren’t wrong, but don’t forget Shultz was pretty competent in front of goals. I do agree Erasmus best hope is to make it as a fwd in our team as there isn’t a heap of room for him.

It's not about winning over, I like him but I just struggle to see a path for him locking in a spot in the best team particularly if he doesnt genuinely lock down a second position.
I understand that this is the current sentiment when selecting a team on paper. The difference between us being off or on as a team is the pressure we bring to the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz was never the mercurial small forward type. So I’d like for Erasmus to be the one who steps up into that now vacant position. Works hard, tackling machine, always puts in 100%.

You aren’t wrong, but don’t forget Shultz was pretty competent in front of goals. I do agree Erasmus best hope is to make it as a fwd in our team as there isn’t a heap of room for him.
Schultz being pretty competent is my point. His hunger for the contest was the one aspect of the game where he had it over others

Not sure Ras has the headbutt game to replace Subes.
Not sure that Ras will ever look like he has eaten a human for breakfast. Strikes me as the sort of athlete that will have very low skin folds. I doubt ole Suban was in the top 30 for skin folds at the club. Ras is also very athletic - doing well at PSA athletics etc.

Shultz was hopeless in front of goals for his first couple of years. To the point I'd written him off.
Switta is basically rubbish at kicking goals too but has other skills.

Shultz had one purple patch where he couldn't miss, like Elliot at Collingwood. Will be interesting to see how he settles there.
Cerra couldn't hit the side of barn with the goals in front of him when he was here but suddenly started nailing them last year.
Its all in the head at that level.

Last edited:
I understand that this is the current sentiment when selecting a team on paper. The difference between us being off or on as a team is the pressure we bring to the contest.
Still think there are too many young mids in the team that he's sitting behind and will struggle to get game time, especially with JOM and Nate having a few years left.

I'll be interested to know your opinion Tony on who you think will be the better player out of Simpson and Ras after the preseason games. I think Simpson is going to win a lot of people over very very quickly

I don't see the "which position does he play/who does he push out" questions as needing to be answered because there will always be injuries and once he's in the side he just needs to retain his spot by sheer force of will at the contest.

I see him being a wing/utility type. The Dev Robertson/Mitch Robinson/Mcreery type.

Yeah watching Vidwal’s version of the game I’m less impressed by Ras. His slow decision making is evident almost every time he gets a mark sadly. Would love to see him take first option.

Meanwhile I really liked Doc Emmet’s game. Lots to work with there.

While I’m at it, who was the pink booted fair haired train on bursting down the Arc side of the ground early in proceedings? Liked the cut of his jib.

If you liked watching Crowley, and how instrumental he was at the run with role, Erasmus is another player who will sacrifice himself for the team.
Crowley was also awesome in front of goals, if we are serious about winning a
flag the mids can’t all be flashy, we can spread the load and it will help Serong’s
game.
Talking about Serong before he was recruited Brayshaw was the captain in waiting.
To say you need the right coach, you also need the right captain to win flags.
The sooner we make the change, we will see the making of a club hell bent.

Yeah watching Vidwal’s version of the game I’m less impressed by Ras. His slow decision making is evident almost every time he gets a mark sadly. Would love to see him take first option.

While I’m at it, who was the pink booted fair haired train on bursting down the Arc side of the ground early in proceedings? Liked the cut of his jib.
Good call re Emmett. I watched the first 40 minutes and he was everywhere. Wasn't sure how much pre season he missed and how he was tracking but there's a role for him.

It wasn't a standout game from Erasmus, but sample size (and sample type).

He was pretty good the week before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back