Quayle's view on this draft IF it was "uncompromised"

Remove this Banner Ad

toy would have been 2 behind swallow, however if GC only had two picks and the draft was uncompromised id have thought theyd take swallow and day.

I don't understand why the GC can sign a whole bunch of 17 year olds, sign uncontracted players and then be given a whole bunch of picks. Why couldnt they just have had the second two? They would still be a good team.

It's bullshit.

I think maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Yes, Gold Coast will end up with some unbelievable talent, but how long do you think they're going to hold on to them all for? They're going to invest 2-3 years worth of money and training into these boys and then a large number of them are going to come off contract and be ripe for the picking. So instead of having to nurture these talents through their early stages teams will be able to 'alleviate Gold Coast's salary cap pressure' and take some 50 game players off their hands.

I think maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. Yes, Gold Coast will end up with some unbelievable talent, but how long do you think they're going to hold on to them all for? They're going to invest 2-3 years worth of money and training into these boys and then a large number of them are going to come off contract and be ripe for the picking. So instead of having to nurture these talents through their early stages teams will be able to 'alleviate Gold Coast's salary cap pressure' and take some 50 game players off their hands.

And in return the GC17 will gain more 1st rd picks in trades for said players, further extending their access to high quality players via the draft and their "premiership window"

I think they've managed to avoid this by paying their 8 uncontracted players the majority of their contracts sum in the first couple of years, so for Ablett I think they'll pay him half of his total contract in the first year and keep on decreasing the amounts from there. Will be suprising to see how much he wants at the end of his contract if he's still playing good footy.

The word is that as good as GC17s list is going to be the work that GWS has put into the draft is far far superior. Scary times ahead.

Their draft work might be superior, but I heard that next year's crop of kids doesn't match up to 2010 at this stage. Not sure how true or not that is, but it doesn't matter how much work you put in if the goods aren't there.

Almost definitely. Oh ****ing really. There is a train of thought that swallow is the best draft prospect in the last 10 years. For someone to be significantly better to the point they they would almost definitely go beforehand is a tad daft ;)

I've not read or heard this train of thought, where did it come from?

Obiously Phil is wrong, if you heard Swallow being interviewed yesterday by FoxSports he actually went through all the 12 under-17 year old signings and mentioned that Josh Toy would have been number one.

Plus, Reimers is a real talent who just needs some luck with injuries and perhaps needs to mature emotionally as well. I LOVE watching him play.

Obiously Phil is wrong, if you heard Swallow being interviewed yesterday by FoxSports he actually went through all the 12 under-17 year old signings and mentioned that Josh Toy would have been number one.

A year ago when the GC did the deal with Swallow, he declared that Darling would be the #1 pick.

He's just being nice, clearly a more complete footballer than Toy.

Their draft work might be superior, but I heard that next year's crop of kids doesn't match up to 2010 at this stage. Not sure how true or not that is, but it doesn't matter how much work you put in if the goods aren't there.

Id say WA stocks are pretty comparable at this stage to 2010, if Shane Kresten and Gerald Ugle arent picked up by GWS then id say they look a little better.

I've had a look at the last few drafts using the gold coast's picks from this year. Without the benefit of hindsight, here's who they would have picked up drafting the same as clubs did that day.

Deledio
Roughead
Griffen
Lewis
Russell
Egan
Thomson
Bate
T Cloke
McGough

You'd be pretty happy. Deledio, Griffen, Lewis offer quite a good midfield start and Roughead and T Cloke fill out the two key forward posts already.

Murphy
Thomas
Ellis
Ryder
Clark
Drum
Higgins
Hurn
Neagle
Rix

Ryder/Clark is a formidable ruck combo, Thomas/Murphy/Higgins all offer classy running types.

Gibbs
Gumbleton
Hansen
Selwood
Armitage
Brown
Everitt
Riewoldt
Krakouer
Currie

Joel Selwood and Jack Riewoldt in the same draft. With Gibbs, Hansen, Armitage, Gumbleton and N.Brown to top it off. Enough said.

Kruezer
Cotchin
Masten
Palmer
McEvoy
Dangerfield
Veszpremi
Mayne
Farmer

Top two are as good a prospects as any, plenty of talent throughout.

Watts
Naitanui
Hill
Rich
Ziebell
Davis
Sidebottom
Lynch
Motlop
Hunt

Naitanui tapping it down to Hill, Rich, Ziebell and Sidebottom is the makings of what would be a superb midfield in years to come.

Scully
Trengove
Martin
Sheppard
Moore
Melksham
Gysberts
Talia
Grimely
Roberton

Scully, Trengove and Martin in the middle. As a supporter, you'd be creaming yourself with the potential of your midfield in a few years.

So this tells us a few things. First of all, despite all the high picks, some of them will be flops. It happens all the time, and as I read through the first rounds of these drafts, I was suprised to see just how many names had gone onto nothig.
While today it seems that all Gold Coast's picks will be superstars, people think that after every draft, and history shows us they won't be.
However, they will have a few guns. Even taking only 2-4 players from each list, their are stars in each of those drafts, and a bucketload of potential in the more recent ones.

Now, if you add a group of 8 senior players to those groups, including the best player in the league at that time, I think goldcoast will be quite competitive early, and very very strong within 2-5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice analysis. Looks like every year, regardless of the "draft depth", you could pretty much guarantee a very solid team base. It's going to be interesting to see what GWS turns up with next year, but I suspect it's going to be more of the same.

They wouldn't have had Cloke with or without hindsight.

Cool post. All that info and you reply to one line that's irrelevant to the point. Cheers. :thumbsu:

They wouldn't have had Cloke with or without hindsight.

My mistake, he was father/son wasn't he?
Thought he was, but the list I checked on didn't indicate that.
Regardless, guys taken around the same pick that year included:
Mitch Morton at 44,
Justin Sherman at 45,
Henry Slattery at 46,
Nathan Ablett at 48, edit: he may also have been father son haha, but you get the idea...

so a bit to work with there. Could've still grabbed a handy player.

If you look at the 17yo's taken by clubs the past few years not many of them have gone on to be world beaters.

For example Essendon has taken Kyle Reimers and Michael Still as its last two bottom ages and one has already been delisted whilst the other is just so-so as a player.
Wasn't Pears "underage"? Goes OK.
I agree Reimers is average, but probably reasonable compared to his pick.

Every club can choose one 17yo (if they want) and Still and Reimers were Essendon's choices. Its not different at all really to Toy, Weller etc.
I don't think there was ever a restriction of just one. IIRC Hawks took 2 in the one year (Shiels & someone?).
They've upped the age limits now.

My mistake, he was father/son wasn't he?
Thought he was, but the list I checked on didn't indicate that.
Regardless, guys taken around the same pick that year included:
Mitch Morton at 44,
Justin Sherman at 45,
Henry Slattery at 46,
Nathan Ablett at 48, edit: he may also have been father son haha, but you get the idea...

so a bit to work with there. Could've still grabbed a handy player.
Cloke was F/S; so was Nablett, so was Mitch Morton.
(they upped the qualifications after him, so the next Morton wasn't eligible for F/S)

Wasn't Pears "underage"? Goes OK.
I agree Reimers is average, but probably reasonable compared to his pick.

I don't think there was ever a restriction of just one. IIRC Hawks took 2 in the one year (Shiels & someone?).
They've upped the age limits now.

That would be Shiels and Savage :)

The 17 year olds GWS have picked so far are pretty impressive! Shiel, Treloar, Golds, Darley, Hampton, Cameron etc and they still have 5 more to pick.
Not to mention they'll most likely pick up Stephen Coniglio with one of the first 3 picks next year, alot of WA posters say he's just as good as Swallow.

Personally after having watched both players at the same age I would have to say David Swallow is better, still a year for Coniglio to develop though. Will be very interesting to have this discussion in a year.

What the GC were given is scandalous, that much is obvious.

But rest assured guys, if our clubs are smart - they will target the GC for recruits heavily over the next 5 years. The majority of these players will all come out of contract at the same time. With the list being so even, there will be a big factor of young players not feeling they are getting the game time they deserve - and an even bigger opportunity will be the massive " go home" factor that will play a part in nearly all their players heads.

Those free agency rules the AFL tried to use to steal our players for the GC will be the same rules that will make GC has unstable mess that wont be able to hold its players, just like a baby can't hold in its piss. It will be Freo & the Bears take 2 - with no merger to save them this time.

These kids can't help where they were drafted - but that doesn't sentence them to GC for life. I am betting not one of these players dreamed of playing in a phony town where the AFL team is more of a side show than something its fans actually care about in the end.

Enjoy your young recruits GC, the vultures will be circling soon:)

I laugh because they are going to go into the finals this year. Lets take a look.
They have Gary Ablett Jnr - Brownlow Medalist, duel Premiership player and it goes on.
Rischitelli (think thats how you spell it) - Best and Fairest award for Brisbane Lions
Can't be bothered to write others.
TOP draft picks. Now that is really getting out of hand. To think that without Gold Coast other clubs could have Swallow, Bennell, Day etc...
Then we need to take a look at GWS they have not only the top picks in next years draft but the year after that as well.
I bet you, in a few years time in the Grand Final all you see is GWS and GC battling it out
Bookmark time.

What the GC were given is scandalous, that much is obvious.

But rest assured guys, if our clubs are smart - they will target the GC for recruits heavily over the next 5 years. The majority of these players will all come out of contract at the same time. With the list being so even, there will be a big factor of young players not feeling they are getting the game time they deserve - and an even bigger opportunity will be the massive " go home" factor that will play a part in nearly all their players heads.

Those free agency rules the AFL tried to use to steal our players for the GC will be the same rules that will make GC has unstable mess that wont be able to hold its players, just like a baby can't hold in its piss. It will be Freo & the Bears take 2 - with no merger to save them this time.

These kids can't help where they were drafted - but that doesn't sentence them to GC for life. I am betting not one of these players dreamed of playing in a phony town where the AFL team is more of a side show than something its fans actually care about in the end.

Enjoy your young recruits GC, the vultures will be circling soon:)

Sorry didn't see this post before I wrote my own rant :p
Mate, I didn't really think of that, very smart indeed. But then wouldn't the players develop bonds between each other, I can see where you are going with some players seeing they don't get enough game time but wouldn't the club just offer them more money?

The 17 year olds GWS have picked so far are pretty impressive! Shiel, Treloar, Golds, Darley, Hampton, Cameron etc and they still have 5 more to pick.
Not to mention they'll most likely pick up Stephen Coniglio with one of the first 3 picks next year, alot of WA posters say he's just as good as Swallow.

Coniglio was second best on ground in the WAFL grand final this year as a 16 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back