Quotes and speeches that actually inspire you

Remove this Banner Ad

Teddy Roosvelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

This video saved my life.

Well, it didn't save my life, but it gave me the strength to pick myself up off the floor a few hours after the lowest point of my life in Oct '21.

There are some great words in here. I started trying to live my life like this in 2016 (write down what the * you want and go after it) although this is the first time I've seen this particular video.

But the words are being spoken by Joe Rogan and in this modern world if you say and do one shitty thing, everything you say and do is shitty, and as this is BF, once people see this video is here they'll come in to s**t on it/him.

I hope you're doing OK Over The Post, you always seemed like a good guy.

This video saved my life.

Well, it didn't save my life, but it gave me the strength to pick myself up off the floor a few hours after the lowest point of my life in Oct '21.

18.20 "Most people play the role of the victim in the movie"

So true, see people like that so much.

But the words are being spoken by Joe Rogan and in this modern world if you say and do one shitty thing, everything you say and do is shitty, and as this is BF, once people see this video is here they'll come in to s**t on it/him.
The problem that I have with Joe Rogan and his ilk is the stuff they preach that is good is not particularly original, and the stuff that is original is not particularly good... but everything gets bundled up together and the former gets used to sell the latter

I get that the 'bro self-help' thing really resonates with a certain demographic, but it feels a lot like preying on vulnerable men

would just be nice if more men realised that there are plenty of other places you can get the same basic stuff without all the latent toxic s**t

The problem that I have with Joe Rogan and his ilk is the stuff they preach that is good is not particularly original, and the stuff that is original is not particularly good... but everything gets bundled up together and the former gets used to sell the latter

I get that the 'bro self-help' thing really resonates with a certain demographic, but it feels a lot like preying on vulnerable men

would just be nice if more men realised that there are plenty of other places you can get the same basic stuff without all the latent toxic s**t
He isnt a patch on all the women on youtube etc getting in on grifting in the bro self help "manosphere" game. So many getting suckered right in.

On the Joe Rogan vid, I do like the bit about "people playing the victim". Yeah it may not be profound but let's face it, no one really likes a victim so don't choose to be one. We all will be to varying degrees at points in life but if you frame your outlook as a victim, as someone with no choices or power then you will be miserable.

The thing I kind of don't like about it though is this - it is just another in a long line of highly successful people telling us "hey I did what I really, really wanted to do and I am successful - so it will work for you too".

I'll give him the tip: there are more wannabe comedians/artists working as cleaners than are millionaires.

Now sure, the motivation and discipline he applied would have made a big difference. But he makes it sound like having a career working for someone else is not a worthy pursuit. It can be, particularly if you lead a balanced life and enjoy your work, family, friends, hobbies, health etc.

“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view,
and demand that they respect yours.

Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.

Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
even a stranger, when in a lonely place.

Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.
If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.
Abuse no one and no thing,
for abuse turns the wise ones into fools and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die,
be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death
so that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time
to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On my wedding day, in my Dad's speech he passed something on from my dearly departed Nan: "True love makes sacrifice easy; perfect love makes it a joy."

Another simple one I like from my Dad (though he can't claim this one): "Don't let the bastards get you down."

And a quote that I've seen attributed to legendary basketball coaches John Wooden and Morgan Wootten: "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."

…if fate can be overcome by tears, let us bring tears to bear upon it: let every day be passed in mourning, every night be spent in sorrow instead of sleep: let your breast be torn by your own hands, your very face attacked by them, and every kind of cruelty be practiced by your grief, if it will profit you.

But if the dead cannot be brought back to life, however much we may beat our breasts, if destiny remains fixed and immoveable forever, not to be changed by any sorrow, however great, and death does not loose his hold of anything that he once has taken away, then let our futile grief be brought to an end.

Let us, then, steer our own course, and no longer allow ourselves to be driven to leeward by the force of our misfortune. He is a sorry pilot who lets the waves wring his rudder from his grasp, who leaves the sails to fly loose, and abandons the ship to the storm: but he who boldly grasps the helm and clings to it until the sea closes over him, deserves praise even though he be shipwrecked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back