Review R1, April 5, 2015 - GC v Melbourne @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts exactly when I saw that.. why not use Broughton? He was getting carved up anyway and he's showed he could tag/shut down quite effectively when he was a Docker and KK is way more damaging than Broughts?

Surely wont be a permanent thing as you've said, KK freed up on a wing can only be good for you guys. Confident you guys will bounce back hard vs Saints! :thumbsu:
I think Crowley has set a bad standard in that taggers can't be good players, too. For example, Liam Shiels is an excellent tagger (and a great user of the ball), and Will Langford is turning into a fantastic shut-down player in his own right with clean skills to boot. Steven Baker is one of my all-time favourite taggers, because not only could he be a menace without the ball, he could be a menace with the ball.

I think Crowley has set a bad standard in that taggers can't be good players, too. For example, Liam Shiels is an excellent tagger (and a great user of the ball), and Will Langford is turning into a fantastic shut-down player in his own right with clean skills to boot. Steven Baker is one of my all-time favourite taggers, because not only could he be a menace without the ball, he could be a menace with the ball.
Baker a menace with the ball??? Steven Baker, st. Kilda Steven Baker?

i know this is late, but was disgusted with our performance on the weekend. We didn't want it, and our usual strengths were our weaknesses and lost the game. We got smashed in the middle, and contested ball. We didnt want it. It was horrible to watch.

Blowtorch has to be put on Harley Bennell. He peacocks around and s**t doesn't stink, has to work harder. We had horrible forward pressure, and general pressure on the ball carrier. Ablett is excused for not laying a tackle, but jeez Rocket needs to show him whose boss. You dont want this turning into a Lebron James type scenario where the best player rules the roost, and makes the call. Ablett should have been predominately forward after you could clearly see he was suffering and under duress with his shoulder. Bennell, Gorringe (the utility), Rischitelli, Martin could have all spent more minutes in the midfield to cover Ablett moving forward - bit of a coaching/player error there in my opinion.

I have no doubt we will bounce back, but * me that was tough to watch.

Yes Gaz was clearly hurt, but I think a lot of his issue was he didn't have the confidence in the shoulder to lay tackles or lift it to high. He will be better after that run.

oh yeah absolutely. But both he and Rocket should have the experience and wisdom to have altered the game plan for that 1 player (Gaz).

oh yeah absolutely. But both he and Rocket should have the experience and wisdom to have altered the game plan for that 1 player (Gaz).
An injured Gary is better than anything else we have. Whether that's sad or simply a statement as to how good he is, you can be the judge.

An injured Gary is better than anything else we have. Whether that's sad or simply a statement as to how good he is, you can be the judge.

I definitely agree with this, but jeez why wait until the last qtr to throw him forward - why persist with him in the midfield when he clearly was hampered and couldnt handle the contested ball or lay a tackle or put pressure on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back